Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #271
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
Here's my '93 TDM850 on a recent ride.

I have just changed the bars to a Kiwi-X set that are wider and flatter thus giving more room for the handguards that have also just been added - Acerbis Rally Pro with spoilers.

I added the Eagle Screens touring screen a year ago.
beautiful landscape...how i wish i can go there...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #272
BMT
Yamaha TDM850

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRed
Hey BTM.. Are you planning on doing the 2008 South Island Passes ride? I shipped my bike over to NZ last year and rode with a bunch of guys off the KiwiBiker site and had a ball.
Hey SteveRed,

I'm not planning on it at this stage (one day maybe & Molesworth Station). A mate of mine asked me recently if I was up to doing the Brass Monkey rally in June '08 but on my recent ride I experienced some mild cold which brought home the reality of the potential -20 degrees that can occur at the Brass Monkey - I need more thermal protection!!!

Sorry that I missed you guys earlier this year. I had everything ready just in case you took up my offer for accomodation but as we live too far from Wellington for it to be a quick ride to the ferry and yet too close for you to get a decent days riding in it obviously didn't suit.

I did see your subsequent ride report and the inverted GS. Ouch, both in terms of the off and the cost to repair!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #273
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
Hey SteveRed,

I'm not planning on it at this stage (one day maybe & Molesworth Station). A mate of mine asked me recently if I was up to doing the Brass Monkey rally in June '08 but on my recent ride I experienced some mild cold which brought home the reality of the potential -20 degrees that can occur at the Brass Monkey - I need more thermal protection!!!

Sorry that I missed you guys earlier this year. I had everything ready just in case you took up my offer for accomodation but as we live too far from Wellington for it to be a quick ride to the ferry and yet too close for you to get a decent days riding in it obviously didn't suit.

I did see your subsequent ride report and the inverted GS. Ouch, both in terms of the off and the cost to repair!
Ah the Molesworth! Brings back fond memories ...

Ye, when I was up North I hooked up with an American guy and we had problems with his rental bike which took us back to Auckland. It ended up being a mad rush to get to cover the East cape and we barely made the ferry. Would have loved to have hooked up mate. Bring your bike over to OZ and we'll go for a ride I might even get myself to NZ some time in 2008. Funnily I rode with two broken ribs for another week or so. The bike cost me less than $800 in parts to sort out... Just a few manly scars to impress other ADV riders

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #274
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Question Is this a good deal? ('93 TDM on Craigslist)

Found this on Craigslist in Springfield, MO (1 hour away)

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/417365677.html

I searched the forum and found this thread. A couple of questions for you TDM experts. Is this a good deal? And since I'm completely ignorant in regards to this bike, what makes it unique/special to you? I'll read through this thread as I have time but maybe a couple of you will respond, thanks.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #275
BMT
Yamaha TDM850

Oddometer: 41
Hey JoMoThumper,

I wouldn't call myself a TDM expert but I own and ride a '93 TDM (pictured above). I'd have to answer your question with a question: "What do you want out of a bike?" I didn't know what I wanted when I got my TDM, but now I've got it - it's the sort of bike the suits what I want from riding: the ability to explore back roads, just go for a blast or tour.

Why I got the TDM:
1. cheap to buy (I can't comment on the US$ price of the one you're looking at as I don't know the US market) - I was on a budget (no GS money here!);
2. more reliable/less maintenance than the sport bike I had;
3. good upright riding position for unsealed or long excursions (note: still road biased bike and no dual-sport tires available for the front 18" rim) plus 6" suspension travel (but handles well when pushed on the road);
4. good power.

In summary, for me, its a good all-round bike, not the best at any particular thing but a good compromise that'll do most things really well. The one you are looking at sounds like its had most of the required tweaks done too: fuel pump, exhaust & seat. Go give it a test ride!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #276
LUNLUNZAI
n00b

Oddometer: 4
yo yo! lun is here too
LUNLUNZAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #277
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper

I searched the forum and found this thread. A couple of questions for you TDM experts. Is this a good deal? And since I'm completely ignorant in regards to this bike, what makes it unique/special to you? I'll read through this thread as I have time but maybe a couple of you will respond, thanks.
Of the 20 or something bikes I have owned, I have kept the TDM the longest. 10 years and 60,000 miles later I still love it. I have surprised many a sport bike in the twisties. Good torque make riding easy in these conditions, usually a 1 or 2 shift affair while they are rowing their gearbox to keep up.
In good tune they average 50 mpg. The geabox is clunky, but not weak unless abused. At some point the rectifier will go, carry a spare. The carbs require routine maintanence as the tubes the needles ride in oval out. My cure were "factorypro" nickle plated tubes and stock needles with a washer.
I have added "Hyperpro" front springs. (these years have cartridge forks) and WP rear shock.
I had a single exhaust on mine and removed it for the stocker, just too loud. Your bike may not have this option as the picture looks like the owner took the right stock exhaust can and replaced the collecter box with a straight pipe.
Not really an adventure tourer they will handle dirt and gravel roads just fine being very stable, but not the type of bike you can throw around the corners.
That bike looks very clean but not a collectable yet and I have seen many a similiar bike going for less money.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #278
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMoThumper

Pricing seems in line, maybe a little high considering the repaint, but it depends on how picky you are about looks. Missing the skid plate and will be due for carb fix mentioned by usually 35K if not done already. Not a big deal if you are familiar with carb work. I've had my 92 for a little over two years and bought it with 27K on it for $2750 but it was starting to exhibit the carb issue, running rich and I think the owner reduced the price knowing something was wrong but not knowing what. I've enjoyed 16K miles with no real issues and enjoy the broad torque curve which comes on around 3,500 RPM and continues to around 7,000 RPM which makes a very rideable bike. Excellent riding position for longer distances and fun on the dirt roads. I commute 55 miles one way and can do that every day and not feel any ill affects, and I'm not as young as I once was. Not the best at any one thing, but the best all around bike I've owned, and have no intention to replace, unless, they bring the updated European version to the US.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #279
everforward
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatRacing
Any TDM riders in this group?

Thanks
I have been riding a 92 TDM since 95, fantastic bike
everforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #280
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519
Masterbrewer Deserts his TDM

here's the link

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...77#post5385177

Cheers

masterbrewer screwed with this post 09-29-2007 at 04:28 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #281
JustAL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
its a holiday yesterday for us in Singapore...so we crossed the border...ride for bout 100km...then we had a little ride off the tarmac.

Wow. I kinda miss Singapore. Is it possible to ride Palau Ubin? I use to do it on bicycles but I couldn't imagine the logistics of a dozen mates with what was available back then although a few rigid inflatables could do the trip!

alGARDNER
alexandergardner.com

flickr

--

WANT TO SAVE $5 ON SMUGMUG? USE MY COUPON! - raflgiWZAtPVY
JustAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:48 AM   #282
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

are you kidding me?tell me more...what's so great about riding around in Sillypore? you will be hitting yourself on a concrete if you travel more than 100km/hr...

no,we can't ride bikes to Ubin...its too small anyway...
here's something like Ubin

its in Malaysia...we often cross the border for breakfast.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #283
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

I have bought spare 2nd hand right and left fairings...thought of having another set of fairings in white...

bought a brand new front mudgrd and repaint the whole thing white...bought B&B grey tank bra...and some decals...taaadaa.

from the old diamond blue

to the white power...

Old 10-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #284
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Um, what exactly does TDM stand for?

Ray
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #285
toneski
flange buttress manifold

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Um, what exactly does TDM stand for?

Ray
it depends who you ask, but the most likely one as discussed on carpe-tdm is "Twin Dual(Purpose) Motorcycle"

tho my mates reckon its "Tonys Dirty Motorbike"
toneski is offline   Reply With Quote