TDMster

Oddometer: 2,519

The missus says it's "That Damn Machine"

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #287
bynder
digity digity

Oddometer: 913
so these TDMs that are here in the states, how is parts availability, can you get parts from a dealer or are they all from online? contemplating getting one just worried about the parts.
bynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #288
toneski
flange buttress manifold

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bynder
so these TDMs that are here in the states, how is parts availability, can you get parts from a dealer or are they all from online? contemplating getting one just worried about the parts.
doesnt seem to be too much problem for the guys on Carpe, the main parts are just comsumables and yammie uses the same parts across a lot of models
eg. brake discs are same as the older fazer6, same with bearings, seals etc
other parts, like regulator are common generic parts
toneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #289
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
engine bars

So about 3mos ago I decide that I am going to need some engine bars if I continue to ride the TDM off pavement. Renntech, makes some for the MK1 models and I order a set from the American supplier in Ga. Numerous calls and explanations for why they haven't arrived later, I get a notice from UPS I got a package coming. A visit to my CC website shows a charge from the us supplier. I got engine bars arriving today!!
Revs Performance told me that they had never ordered a set before for the TDM and I think it may have been a case of the supplier making the bars in batches as the demand required it. So I will post a pic for the US TDM riders when i get them installed.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #290
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
engine bars

Thanks.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #291
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

engine bars

UPS delivered as promised and I had them installed in about an hour. I obtained the bars from .http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/engine_bars.htm

The bars are very well made and come with all the attaching hardware. They fitted right up. The top replaces and existing motormount and the bottom uses a replacement rod for the existing skid place mount.

I mounted the bar over my modified stock skid plate which stiffened it up considerably.

Front view, you can see how much they stick out from the engine cases.

Masterbrewer commented in one of his threads that the bars add no protection to the fuel tank and I agree. His solution was to weld an additional loop on each side up to at least the bottom of the tank. Probably
the route I will take because I do want the ability to convert back to stock. Another option is to recreate the radiater supports out of tubing so that they project past the fuel tank. Hmmm a set of headers off a Tenere would give me a couple more inches of ground clearance.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #292
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 929
Tank protection

I'm thinking I ought to get me a set of those bars. Protective and makes you look tougher at the same time. It almost looks like you could mount a couple of frame sliders like they put on sport bikes, maybe 3"~4" long, on the engine mount location for the bars. It should protect the tank on pavement or hard dirt roads just fine. Probably not much good in sand though. I'll measure tonight when I get home and see if I can find a source. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #293
toneski
flange buttress manifold

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Hmmm a set of headers off a Tenere would give me a couple more inches of ground clearance.
i offered up the new stainless set of headers i've bought for my super tenere onto my TDM and they will fit if you dont mind losing the rear brake and rider peg

no?

guess not then
toneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 AM   #294
tzolea
George

Oddometer: 11
My TDM
850cc
45.000 km
Givi Windshield
Hepco Crash Bar
Attached Images

tzolea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #295
masterbrewer
TDMster

Hi Itsatdm

I found that it was well worth the effort to weld these extensions onto bars like that, as I found .............(on more than one occasion............... )

The original bars being so low on the bike that they actually worked as a pivot to slam the top fairing into the ground even harder.

Just got sick of mending the top fairing all the time.

Good luck with ya dirt riding.........................the TDM just eats it up (bearing it mind its limitations of course)......................now get out & get it "dirty"

Cheers

Old 10-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #296
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oh I have been riding but around here it is mostly in conditions like this:

Which brings up a question. Very happy with my suspension, didn't know that 6.5 inches would work that good But that 4.10 tire in front is about 1+ inches bigger in diameter that a stocker and I really notice the change in geometry. Stable to a fault, How do you turn this thing at speed when you are trying to stay atop sand or gravel?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #297
masterbrewer
TDMster

[/quote]Which brings up a question. Very happy with my suspension, didn't know that 6.5 inches would work that good But that 4.10 tire in front is about 1+ inches bigger in diameter that a stocker and I really notice the change in geometry. Stable to a fault, How do you turn this thing at speed when you are trying to stay atop sand or gravel?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "stable to a fault"

I found the TDM has a very different riding position & technique to what "off road bikes" have.

When the surface gets sandy or loose I find that rather than fully standing up on the pegs, I bend & raise my elbows above my hand line which forces me to sit slightly forward & weight the pegs slightly. That gives me better control over flapping tank slapping handle bars in the really loose stuff.
You really have to push the TDM over going into corners.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #298
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

"stable to a fault"

You really have to push the TDM over going into corners.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Thats exactly what I meant, in order to turn in the soft stuff, you have to lean it over way more than I am comfortable with doing and trust it won't slide out from under you. The gravel roads around here tend to be narrow and twisty. Think I will tinker with either raising the rear or lower the front to see if I can get some of that nuetral feeling back.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 PM   #299
masterbrewer
TDMster

Here's the latest fun in South Oz

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288804

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

TDMKym

masterbrewer screwed with this post 11-28-2007 at 11:18 PM
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #300
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bynder
Hey Bynder, I found this on line... Check it out.

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowerspo...?Type=12&A=120