User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #481
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Off road practice

Never done any dirt biking to speak of, and planning for a 3 week trip to Alaksa / Yukon / NWT this summer on my shiny, newly aquired TDM850. Thought I should go start to practice in dirt/mud/puddles/clay so went out this weekend with a friend and found some mud pits!

I guess it was a success, I didn't drop the bike, and I did quite a few laps in uneven, lumpy, mixed gravel/ clay/ very soft sand/ mud. I did get stuck in the sand one time, my buddy had to help push to get me out.

Now, I just need to do this about 100 times more, to be ready for the Dempster Highway!
Name:  mbs.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  69.3 KB
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #482
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,183
Speaking of front tires... What's that you have on the front, Brunstei?

Welcome to the TDM world.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #483
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Oddometer: 448
[quote=SlipChip]Speaking of front tires... What's that you have on the front, Brunstei?

SlipChip didn't you have a Pirelli Scorpion on the rear ?? If so where and how long ago did you get it.???
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #484
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip

Welcome to the TDM world.
Thanks! It's a nice addition to my stable, and I lucked out in scoring one with less than 13,000 miles on it Have to say, I like the TDM so much, my BMW K75S may end up going on the market.....

The front is a Maxxis 120/80-18 (62P). The P speed range may scare some of you, but I don't figure I'll exceed 150 on those tires anyhow, and rarely go over 120 km/h. It's an intended rear design and mounted front-way-round.

Rear is a Conti TKC 80, as you can probably tell by looking.

Both tires were put on by last owner and are near new, so I can't contrast them vs. anything else on the TDM - but my impression is pretty good. There's definite road noise from them, and if I think about it, I can (just) feel the vibrations from the front, but they corner well (at least up to 120 or so, haven't wanted to push past that on off-road tires) and particularly great grip on pavement in heavy rain. I've tried really hitting the front brakes HARD in the rain (at lowish speeds in case it didn't go well!) and there was not even a hint of slip.

I'm seriously thinking of going to a different combo for my long trip though - will mostly be pavement and ok gravel without too much serious mud/sand, so the Michelin Anakee/Pirelli Scorpion MT90 combo described in other posts here sounds like my best viable option.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #485
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

[QUOTE=Speed3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip

SlipChip didn't you have a Pirelli Scorpion on the rear ?? If so where and how long ago did you get it.???
Yeah, I have the MT90 on the rear, It had been on a shelf for awhile.
I think it was stamped `04

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...STSCORPION.xml

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #486
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Edit

I realized in my prior post I merely said the front was a 'Maxxis', and there should be more description than that. I realized that at the time, too, but for the life of me couldn't see any additional name on the tire.

Went over all of the fine print on the tire today and finally found it - it's a model 6006.

Only one problem, Maxxis doesn't list the 6006 as even existing in this particular size (?) Tread pattern matches so clearly it is a 6006, but if they don't list it, maybe they don't make it any more. Since the tire is quite new, that doesn't make a lot of sense either, but there you go.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #487
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Footpegs

Finished the left side footpeg yesterday, just need to find or make a 10mm pin with the right length and buy another set of cheapo pegs on so I can do the other side.
The pegs are ment for yamaha dirtbikes. I cut the end of the left one and about 2/3rd of the right one and welded these together. The fork that it sits in had to be made 3mm wider since peg mount is wider. The pin goes from 8 to 10mm.
I think it will make standing on the bike a lot easier.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #488
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3
Finished the left side footpeg yesterday, just need to find or make a 10mm pin with the right length and buy another set of cheapo pegs on so I can do the other side.
The pegs are ment for yamaha dirtbikes. I cut the end of the left one and about 2/3rd of the right one and welded these together. The fork that it sits in had to be made 3mm wider since peg mount is wider. The pin goes from 8 to 10mm.
I think it will make standing on the bike a lot easier.
That's a very neat & professional looking job, I wished I lived a bit nearer to you.
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #489
IL8APEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3
This mod is definitely worth a complete how-to write up!

-T
IL8APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #490
RPKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
TDM stuff

Anybody need a set of SW Motech quick release side racks ? Used once on a '91 TDM. Asking $150 .
RPKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #491
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPKLR
Anybody need a set of SW Motech quick release side racks ? Used once on a '91 TDM. Asking $150 .
Pix?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #492
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,567
When is it time to let go?

Here is my 92 TDM. I have put 50,000 of the 62,000 mile on her.

She has been faithful, never let me down, if you don't count the regulator dying in my garage. I know all her shortcomings and fixed those that I think count. Doesn't need an oil fix between changes and reliable as a rock.
About a year ago I got the Joneses for a new adventure bike. Nothing struck my fancy so I upgraded the TDM. Engine bars, serviced the Works rear shock, Hyperpro springs to the front, a high capacity fan and added the dirt tire on the front.
The bike amazes me where it will go. BUT BMW came out with the F800gs and I plunked down my deposit. It is a better TDM.......................... or is it?
Yes lighter, more clearance, more suspension. But at 65 I am more of smell the roses kinda guy rather working my self into a sweat going where no man has gone before. Don't mean to bash BMW, but this site is full of problem accounts and lack of BMW accountibility. My local dealer does not install a lot of confidence, in that I know more about the new bike than he does. It is not that BMW hasn' told him and they haven't, its the fact he hasn't bothered to learn himself. Obviously not an enthuists.
Money is not a problem. Wife says 1 bike. So keep the TDM or buy the BMW?
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #493
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
So keep the TDM or buy the BMW?
Nice TDM. It seems like it does all you need for the moment. I'd at least thoroughly test ride a GS before deciding. And if a new TDM comes out....
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #494
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Here is my 92 TDM. I have put 50,000 of the 62,000 mile on her.

She has been faithful, never let me down, if you don't count the regulator dying in my garage. I know all her shortcomings and fixed those that I think count. Doesn't need an oil fix between changes and reliable as a rock.
About a year ago I got the Joneses for a new adventure bike. Nothing struck my fancy so I upgraded the TDM. Engine bars, serviced the Works rear shock, Hyperpro springs to the front, a high capacity fan and added the dirt tire on the front.
The bike amazes me where it will go. BUT BMW came out with the F800gs and I plunked down my deposit. It is a better TDM.......................... or is it?
Yes lighter, more clearance, more suspension. But at 65 I am more of smell the roses kinda guy rather working my self into a sweat going where no man has gone before. Don't mean to bash BMW, but this site is full of problem accounts and lack of BMW accountibility. My local dealer does not install a lot of confidence, in that I know more about the new bike than he does. It is not that BMW hasn' told him and they haven't, its the fact he hasn't bothered to learn himself. Obviously not an enthuists.
Money is not a problem. Wife says 1 bike. So keep the TDM or buy the BMW?
which tire up front and your thoughts on it?

right now my 92 has Conti Road Attacks on it ... and I do have the 95 XT600E for gnarlier stuff, but it's on my mind
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #495
Speed3
Aangenaam verdoofd

Keep the TDM for now.

I would keep it at least another year. by then we'll know more about the F800GS as far as I've heard it may be Oktober before they it get Stateside.
After seeing the GS at the NY motorcycle show I was going to put down a deposit. I waited till I was cooled down and did not because of delivery time and the price, I bought a 2000 Cagiva Cran Canyon instead. I don't ride ay real dirt with these bikes anyway, just gravel and dirt roads.
I'm fortunate that my wife sees no problem with the bike as long as there is bread on the table.