Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 AM   #46
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Man, you guys and your sweet looking TDMs make my rat bike look even rattier.

I'm at decision time; do I sink a couple grand into fixing up the TDM [shock, body work & gas tank (crash damage), possibly carbs (for more power), possibly rings (using oil)] or do I sell it and buy another bike (like a DL650). What to do, what to do.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #47
tdmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
TomS thats the same tires I ran on my 93. They worked pretty good but I was always leary of the lower speed rating of the front tire especialy tagging the throttle on the slab. They definitly worked better on the fire trails but as the front wore it gave up some on the tarmac.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:36 PM   #48
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse_Riley
Man, you guys and your sweet looking TDMs make my rat bike look even rattier.

I'm at decision time; do I sink a couple grand into fixing up the TDM [shock, body work & gas tank (crash damage), possibly carbs (for more power), possibly rings (using oil)] or do I sell it and buy another bike (like a DL650). What to do, what to do.
Only my opinion and I truly love my TDM, I wouldn't drop a couple thousand in mine. As much as people say they would love to have one, you won't get your money back if you sell. Hard parts are getting hard to find and are expensive, as is the plastic. When mine reaches the stage you sound like yours is at, it is going to find itself stripped to bare bones, a proper skid plate fitted, some AT tires added and let see what it can really do on a proper trail.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #49
Rolling Thunder
Pouring Rain

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmer
Man seeing this thread pop up again gave me the jones BAD. Had a 92 in blue with a corbin and kerker cans. Got a lot of what's that but on a road any road with any bike it was always right there. Also ran some Pirelli Scorpions on it and it did a damn fine job off road for a street bike. Had to go look see what's for sale. I do wish amaha would import the new 900 version. The Bulldog look like hella good fun too.
It's your luck day! Here's one for sale:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158485
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #50
sousap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
hi, I also own a TDM900!

DP tire options is THE issue...

In the 900 the rear rim is a 5.0x17 and front is the 3.5x18.

My plan is to swap the front rim to a 3.5x17 (yamaha yzf r6/r1) and use supermoto rain tires or pirelli MT60R... 120x70 and 160x60...

Other problems for DP convertion is the bashplate and low level side exhausts...

Paulo Sousa
Azores/Portugal
02' TDM900
'71 BSA B25SS
sousap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #51
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Question Fuel / Air Delivery issue (I think)

Greetings everyone ......

K ... I do have this somewhat strange issue going on with my TDM that I have yet been able to truly deduce.

First, I'll give ya all the symptoms, and then a little history on what's been done on her ...

Symptoms:
It seems like, if I don't start and / or ride her (mind you all I just got out of a cast for a broken foot so I haven't been riding for the last 7 weeks) so if I don't at least start her like every 3 days this happens;

She labors while running, seriously. Like I have the choke all the way out, and she labors to keep the idle (even after the engine warms up) at 1.5 rpm. If I put the choke in, she'll stall. With the choke out and you apply throttle, she still labors, like the engine is definitely not running smoothly.
I'm an o.k. mechanic for minor things, and I can follow instructions in my Haynes manual to do stuff, but for advanced troubleshooting on what might be wrong .... welllll ....... I really am more of a jockey.

At first I thought it was a total fuel related issue, but this can happen when there's still gallons of gas in the tank ..... so that has led me to think that maybe it's more of an air issue ..... dunno.

After the mystery symptom happens, if I go out and start the TDM every day after work, it will get better and better, and finally after about 2 or 3 days of starting her with the choke all the way out, she's fine again. If I run her every other day after that she's fine. If I wait, let's say, 5 days before I start her, the problem could (but not always) happen again, and the cycle repeats.

History:
Back in Jan of this year, while replacing the battery in her, I got a break in one of the fuel lines ..... not fun. So I trailered her into the shop and they did the following;
Replaced the fuel lines
Cleaned and synced the carbs
Performed an over all tune-up on her

So. Unless there was something up with the actual tank, I can't see how it would be a fuel delivery issue, which also really doesn't fit the cycle of symptoms, at least not in my mind.
I can't see how it would be related to the carbs, since they were worked on 8 months ago.
Before my little fall off my back deck, when I was literally her every day, she had no, as in zero, problems with this ....... so the only thing that I can find as a pattern, is that if I don't run her for a number of days, this problem may, or may not, happen.

And as I stated above, when it does happen, it seems to work it's way out after a couple of days .........

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone ever encountered this with their TDM ????????

Take it easy everyone ......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #52
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandango45
Greetings everyone ......

K ... I do have this somewhat strange issue going on with my TDM that I have yet been able to truly deduce.

First, I'll give ya all the symptoms, and then a little history on what's been done on her ...

Symptoms:
It seems like, if I don't start and / or ride her (mind you all I just got out of a cast for a broken foot so I haven't been riding for the last 7 weeks) so if I don't at least start her like every 3 days this happens;

She labors while running, seriously. Like I have the choke all the way out, and she labors to keep the idle (even after the engine warms up) at 1.5 rpm. If I put the choke in, she'll stall. With the choke out and you apply throttle, she still labors, like the engine is definitely not running smoothly.
I'm an o.k. mechanic for minor things, and I can follow instructions in my Haynes manual to do stuff, but for advanced troubleshooting on what might be wrong .... welllll ....... I really am more of a jockey.

At first I thought it was a total fuel related issue, but this can happen when there's still gallons of gas in the tank ..... so that has led me to think that maybe it's more of an air issue ..... dunno.

After the mystery symptom happens, if I go out and start the TDM every day after work, it will get better and better, and finally after about 2 or 3 days of starting her with the choke all the way out, she's fine again. If I run her every other day after that she's fine. If I wait, let's say, 5 days before I start her, the problem could (but not always) happen again, and the cycle repeats.

History:
Back in Jan of this year, while replacing the battery in her, I got a break in one of the fuel lines ..... not fun. So I trailered her into the shop and they did the following;
Replaced the fuel lines
Cleaned and synced the carbs
Performed an over all tune-up on her

So. Unless there was something up with the actual tank, I can't see how it would be a fuel delivery issue, which also really doesn't fit the cycle of symptoms, at least not in my mind.
I can't see how it would be related to the carbs, since they were worked on 8 months ago.
Before my little fall off my back deck, when I was literally her every day, she had no, as in zero, problems with this ....... so the only thing that I can find as a pattern, is that if I don't run her for a number of days, this problem may, or may not, happen.

And as I stated above, when it does happen, it seems to work it's way out after a couple of days .........

Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone ever encountered this with their TDM ????????

Take it easy everyone ......

G.
Could be fuel pump related. With the old vacuum pump my bike, if not run at least once a week, would only run on one cyclinder if it would start at all. Usually it would clear up within a few minutes and be fine. The fuel pump sits lower than the carbs and if fuel in the float bowls leaked out or evaperated, the fuel pump would lose its prime and be difficult to start. It got to the point that i would have to pressurize the fuel tank by blowing into it with a piece of fuel line sealed with something like a plastic bag, this got adequate gas into the carbs to start. A good cure is an electric low pressure pump off an older R1 or R6. Not only cured my problem, actually make em run smoother.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #53
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
^I agree with itsatdm. Some people on the TDM mailing list reported similar issues and solved it by replacing the fuel pump. Here's a link for some details on swapping for an electric fuel pump. I want to do this mod myself.

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=201
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #54
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,497
TDM 850 Adventurer

TDM's rule

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158911

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #55
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Yo .... Masterbrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer
I'm gonna pm ya as well .... but what manufacturer made your crash guards? I want to get some for my TDM, and I like the looks of yours!

Also ... what tires are ya runnin on that thang? They look great!

Cheers .............

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #56
masterbrewer
TDMster

[quote=mandango45]I'm gonna pm ya as well .... but what manufacturer made your crash guards? I want to get some for my TDM, and I like the looks of yours!

Also ... what tires are ya runnin on that thang? They look great!

Cheers .............

G'Day from OZ

Bent the bash plate up myself from 4mm aluminium...bolted it to the original bash plate at the front and brackets bolted under the foot pegs bracket at the rear.

With a couple of angle bars bolted in line in the middle to give it strength.

Piece of cake !!!!

Good luck

Tyres....

Fronts are IRC 110's reversed rears
Rears TKC 80's

Here's a few more pics just uploaded

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159182

Cheers
Old 08-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #57
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,046
IRC shows the 110 as a tube type... Any issues running it as tubeless or are you putting in tubes?

Also, how is the wear on a big bike like these? will they last a long tour - trip?
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #58
masterbrewer
TDMster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot
IRC shows the 110 as a tube type... Any issues running it as tubeless or are you putting in tubes?

Also, how is the wear on a big bike like these? will they last a long tour - trip?

Initially tried tubeless but wasn't successful so I am running a tube at the front.

Great handling and sure footed braking.

5,000kms so far with about 1/4 worn.

The TKC 80's is a different matter, much faster wearing, but I did find some fantastic roads recently as per the pics & couldn't help myself having fun.

Still very happy with result.

Cheers

Old 08-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #59
tdmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Only my opinion and I truly love my TDM, I wouldn't drop a couple thousand in mine. As much as people say they would love to have one, you won't get your money back if you sell. Hard parts are getting hard to find and are expensive, as is the plastic. When mine reaches the stage you sound like yours is at, it is going to find itself stripped to bare bones, a proper skid plate fitted, some AT tires added and let see what it can really do on a proper trail.

I'd like to find one somewhat cosmeticaly chalenged just for that reason. Unfortunatly most for sale are pristene street bikes for more money than I'd like to spend. Now if I could find one ready to strip I have some crazy ideas in my head. The only thiong that stopped me on the last one was the cost of repairing the crank. Spun a rod bearing I think. Now looking back I wish it was still in my garage.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #60
hedgetron
Sonambulistic

Oddometer: 14
Still in the TDM club

Sorry to butt into your thread, but as some of you may have noticed, I'm trying to sell my TDM to help pay off the KTM.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158485

There has got to be somebody who needs this bike!! If I can't sell it, I may go the route of Masterbrewer (Outstanding job, by the way). I would have to change my name to Goose or the Lord Humongous to duke with that damn thing. God that thing looks tough....