Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #751
TripinTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Accessory shields for TDM

Check out the "Twin"Shield on my 92 TDM in Flea Market, or go here:

http://tripintiger.smugmug.com/galle...27667608_iGPea

When I first bought the bike, I thought it was the goofiest thing I had ever seen. But, it worked so well, and now I think it looks cool. The upper shield moves with the bars (ala Multistrada), and has plenty of clearance lock to lock.

I don't know the model of the shield, but I can at least get the manufacturer if anyone is interested.
A thouroughbred Cafe' Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into what somebody told him was the ugliest and tightest diminishing-radius loop since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew. (HST - Song of the Sausage Creature)
TripinTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #752
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1
I guess that you have to keep scaping the bugs off your screen so that you can see? How about the wind does that affect the bike more with the taller screen?
not to what i know off...well...abit though...you can't get the top speed that you used to have...but,abit old with the TDM...not really like doing speeds on the highway now...for me,holding on to the same bike for coming to 3yrs is long...the maximum period of time i owned a bike is 2yrs,then switch...its just the itch...they call it,the itch-switch ...thats max...

i dont really have any complaints on the screen...
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()[COLOR=red]VF750C-96(project tracker)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-friends/158711187491373?v=wall[/URL]
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #753
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
...but,abit old with the TDM...not really like doing speeds on the highway now...for me,holding on to the same bike for coming to 3yrs is long...the maximum period of time i owned a bike is 2yrs,then switch...its just the itch...they call it,the itch-switch ...thats max....
The problem changing from the TDM is what to go for. If you want to occaisonally go off-road most of the big trailies are too heavy. The BMW GS800 comes nearest but the 21" front wheel makes it slow to turn on the tarmac and it has a hard seat (according to this weeks MCN mag) plus it only has a 16 litre tank.

In my case I'll probably wait to see if there is anything coming through for 2009 and make a decision the back end of this year. Meanwhile I'm still enjoying my 850 especially with the new tyres.
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #754
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Oddometer: 31
100/90-18 tyres

Hello,TDM adventurers.
I'm heading the right way for a 4TX,things are set into motion and looks like i'll be joining the ranks soon

One question,since i'll be going on unpaved roads (hopefully often ):

Are 100/90-18 tyres good for a Mk2? I know the tyres are 110/80 but i wasn't able to find any front tyre,only rear tyres,and i'm not sure how well they work.can anyone tell me what dual sport tyres and sizes to get for the 4tx?
I'm really concerned about this,i don't want street tyres (had one in front on the Pegaso and got me in trouble),and when i put a tourance in front i swore it to myself i'll only get dual sport tyres,screw the street rubber).Yes,i'm a bit radical but that's the only thing i don't fancy about the TDM,yet there are ways...enlighten me please

Kind regards

Diamond black Yamaha TDM 900A -The Dream Machine
gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #755
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothmog
Hello,TDM adventurers.
I'm heading the right way for a 4TX,things are set into motion and looks like i'll be joining the ranks soon

One question,since i'll be going on unpaved roads (hopefully often ):

Are 100/90-18 tyres good for a Mk2? I know the tyres are 110/80 but i wasn't able to find any front tyre,only rear tyres,and i'm not sure how well they work.can anyone tell me what dual sport tyres and sizes to get for the 4tx?
I'm really concerned about this,i don't want street tyres (had one in front on the Pegaso and got me in trouble),and when i put a tourance in front i swore it to myself i'll only get dual sport tyres,screw the street rubber).Yes,i'm a bit radical but that's the only thing i don't fancy about the TDM,yet there are ways...enlighten me please

Kind regards

dude...you and I...we share the same thoughts...i m currently running the michelin Sirac tube type for the rear tyre of a dirtbike which i reversed it and dump a tube in it...previously i had pirelli scorpion MT90...check back few pages back this thread..i have some photos on the tyres...same 100/90 18inch for the scorpion...cept that the good thing about the scorpion is its tubeless and meant for the front...will switch to that one once the sirac is bald...but sadly,its still full of life after 7000km...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #756
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi gothmog The Scorpion mt90 A/T is available in 110/80 for the MK11. See picture on page 48 fitted to my bike. There are a few European internet suppliers of this tyre who will ship.
This tyre needs a tube. There is also a mt90 S/T which fits the rear, this is a little more street oriented & is tubeless.
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #757
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Thanks for the info,guys,really appreciate it

I can hardly wait until i get my greedy fingers on that 4TX,i'll have to see what rubber it has on it and think i'll be going for the Sirac on the front and Anakee in the rear,or find a company that imports Pirelli scorpions (the ones that i asked didn't have right sizes for the MkII).If you have links of companies that ship to Romania,i'm all

AJ,how's that front Sirac braking/handling?I imagine that it's ok on the gravel/dirt,how does it handle asphalt?

Kind regards

gothmog screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 06:57 AM
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #758
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

The sirac does better than the scorpion in muds,soft sands and in every way that i can think of...check this...minus one stupid last fall becoz i was low on the trottle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpTs5dIy-g

highway if its just cruising,its alrite...but speed,some headshakes...but i cant give any reviews becoz the last ride i jus had my alu panniers on...so another factor to the headshake...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #759
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Dude...AJ...man...you rule
I can't bloody believe where you're going with that bike,nicely done!

Who says the TDM don't work off-road? It looked like it can shame a GS,that's heavy duty stuff,all those puddles and dirt,i don't think i'll be doin' that,but you got me convinced,it's working allright,10x for sharing,if u got more,postplease.

Best of luck,gentlemen!

P.S. Wish me luck in buying the TDM,i'm gonna need it (not quite the luckiest when it comes to bikes,I spent about 3000 euros and countless hours of work and despair repairing the Aprilia,if it happens again with the TDM i'll rob a bank and get me a brand new bike).Cheers!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #760
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

yeah...The TDM would be an almost perfect machine for the dirt...but all i can think of is higher ground clearance,better suspension,high mounted exhaust and a 19inch front wheel...when i was doing some speed on a single track bumpy soft sand area,some of it on the video...i had to slow down due to the bike is bouncing way to mad...its not the handling,its just the suspension works makes me feel like riding a donkey at high speed...

anyways,what's 4TX?

and i swear by it,you won't go wrong on a TDM900...i will be owning it for 3yrs this November...i bought it used with a milege of 12,500km on the clock for a 2yrs plus bike...i've covered now with a milege of 76,000...all i did for major repairs,which is DIY,is changed the chain tensioner during the 3months owing it that cost SGD$65 and that's that...then the airbox mod,TPS free of charge replacement by the Yamaha agent,DIY fast idler plunger serviced,no cost involve,and another major thing is the replacement of the rear Disc cost only SGD$120.That's it...bike has never seen a mechanic to be left in the garage for troubleshooting....impressive rite?

The rest is just normal wear and tear of chain,sprockets,tyres and engine oil and oil filter and plugs...now,tell you some secrets...the original front and rear sprockets,is cheaper than my XR650R front sprockets or Domi...both front and rear sprockets of the TDM cost only SGD$70...whereas my Dominator650 rear sprocket,cost SGD$78...

All i need to do now is to sent to a mechanic for the valve clearance and fuel injection syncronise...

still not convince?

watch this TDM900 photo slide .alittle brainwashing...
http://www.slide.com/r/tS7npauy6T9X4...t_embedded_url

That's why i am so scared now to buy any other bikes...i am so pampered with the less expenditure bike...one reason why i have 2 other bikes to play with...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #761
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
yeah...The TDM would be an almost perfect machine for the dirt...but all i can think of is higher ground clearance,better suspension,high mounted exhaust and a 19inch front wheel...when i was doing some speed on a single track bumpy soft sand area,some of it on the video...i had to slow down due to the bike is bouncing way to mad...its not the handling,its just the suspension works makes me feel like riding a donkey at high speed...

anyways,what's 4TX?

still not convince?

watch this TDM900 photo slide .alittle brainwashing...
http://www.slide.com/r/tS7npauy6T9X4...t_embedded_url

That's why i am so scared now to buy any other bikes...i am so pampered with the less expenditure bike...one reason why i have 2 other bikes to play with...
Well,a 4TX is the TDM between '99 and 2001,it's still a MK2 but with a fuel gauge instead of temp and different carburettors (with built in emulsion tubes),that's about all i know being different from the '96 model,but i'm gonna get me one.Would have gladly went for a niner but it's beyond my budget unfortunately...

I'll post pics ASAP,let me get it between my legs first,gonna ride that thing "there and back again" as Tolkien would have said.

Cheers

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #762
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

[quote=gothmog]Thanks for the info,guys,really appreciate it

I can hardly wait until i get my greedy fingers on that 4TX,i'll have to see what rubber it has on it and think i'll be going for the Sirac on the front and Anakee in the rear,or find a company that imports Pirelli scorpions (the ones that i asked didn't have right sizes for the MkII).If you have links of companies that ship to Romania,i'm all
(quote)

Just do an internet search on "moto tyre 18/110/80" or "Pirelli scorpion mt90" and see what comes up. tyreSite.com ship from the UK to many European countries and I know there is a German company also, (which may have lower carriage charges). You may find someone even nearer when you do your search.
1996 TTR 250 (hers)

dicky1 screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 01:10 PM
Old 07-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #763
stege
Wonderer

Oddometer: 287
Talking

Hi gang. Just bought this ol' gal, a 2000 850 in mint condition. Never owned an "enduro" bike before, and this is my first step into this exciting offroad world. Opted for the TDM against Transalp/Africa/STenere because of those little 80 horsies and dual purpose thingy :)
Good to know all of you. I've seen some pretty awesome bikes here!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #764
Falp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege
Hi gang. Just bought this ol' gal, a 2000 850 in mint condition. Never owned an "enduro" bike before, and this is my first step into this exciting offroad world.
Never owned neither now with a TDM...

But I like the TDM very much, even considered trading my Transalp 650 for a TDM 900 just because is so much better... on the road...

For dual purpose the F800GS is the thing... 178kg, seems 50kg less than the TA ! low gravity center, and that engine... loved it!

2013 Honda CB500X
Falp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #765
MeCasa
I didn't start it

Oddometer: 77
Hey all. Another Yank TDM rider, I like the bike but....

I had to add external battery terminals as the damn battery is too hard to get to.

The pipes dump out too low, they drown out on water crossings unless you keep up the RPM's which can be a PITA

I want a frikkin' gas gauge, who the hell would design a dp (even a semi dp)without a fuel gauge and yes I do know how to count miles, it's just hard when I have my boots on.

Aggressive front rubber is too hard to get, but the problem is the same on the Tenere

That's about it, other than the above I love the bike especially as our choices are so limited in the states. It does what it's designed to do and more. It loves blacktop, gravel and packed dirt but hates mud, sand, soft and steep dirt.

I didn't take a pic because it looks like any of the other red 92's I've seen posted.

PS: I've also thought about adding a 19" front but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

MeCasa screwed with this post 07-19-2008 at 08:37 AM
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote