User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #946
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the replies,everyone!

Got it out of the shop today, i must say i love it. The engine is so smooth yet grunty, it says "big bore" as it humms, nice twin sound (not a fan of the 4 cilynders unless they're V4).Brakes are good, haven't had the chance to use the ABS (hopefully i'll never need to use it). On the - side i must say that the handlebars are narrower than the Peg's and the position is a bit leaned forward,causing me a bit of pain in the wrist. It handles well in the traffic, although i have to be careful not to hit anything with the exhausts (the Peg had them under the seat). The ventilator cools the engine in no-time,the rear brake is usable,the seat s comfy,there's plenty of torque (i'm restricted to 4000 RPM for 1000 miles-1500 km actually-not like i need more,it pulls great until there). However, what i'm not used to is that the bike tends to "fall" while manoeuvering at low speeds-as soon as i shift my weight while changing direction i have to stop the front wheel going all the way (the bike along with it).Is it built like that or am i just not used to it? The bike is tip-top, if it was used i would of believed it had a crash,but no.I'll ride it in the week-end and tell you more on monday about the ride. Untill then, best of luck gentlemen

Ride Safe!

Diamond black Yamaha TDM 900A -The Dream Machine

gothmog screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 04:31 AM
gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #947
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,507

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
Err...issit possible to rent bikes in OZ?
was hoping a 1week tour...somewhat early January next year.
Any recommendations? At the meantime,i am sourcing for the airfares and all and see if it fits the budget....
Hi A.J.

I personally haven't hired a bike, but have put the word out for you in the local Oz Adv forum here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381354

A good site to check out locations is http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx

Remember January in Oz is our summer & usually hot & dry and carefull planning is recommended if you want to travel any distance inland.

Cheers
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #948
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
thanks mate...i am keeping a lookout in the ADV oz thread for any future infos...

but i can't seem to get into the other link..

they prompt me...this..

Server Error in '/' Application....

anyways,some calculation...not doing on a tourgroup...it would be solo riding plus just bike rental for 5days..

As a normal residence of where you are in...where would you go riding and stay if you have 1 week of stay.that means an average of 4-5days of riding plus stay.and what kind of budget are we doing here...hotel,bike rental,and any expenditure that i need to know of...riding areas should be 80% road,20% offroad if possible.places of interest and scenic view location?

Sorry for being a pain....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall

AJ.. screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 09:27 AM
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #949
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothmog
Got it out of the shop today, i must say i love it. The engine is so smooth yet grunty, it says "big bore" as it humms, nice twin sound (not a fan of the 4 cilynders unless they're V4).Brakes are good, haven't had the chance to use the ABS (hopefully i'll never need to use it). On the - side i must say that the handlebars are narrower than the Peg's and the position is a bit leaned forward,causing me a bit of pain in the wrist. It handles well in the traffic, although i have to be careful not to hit anything with the exhausts (the Peg had them under the seat). The ventilator cools the engine in no-time,the rear brake is usable,the seat s comfy,there's plenty of torque (i'm restricted to 4000 RPM for 1000 miles-1500 km actually-not like i need more,it pulls great until there). However, what i'm not used to is that the bike tends to "fall" while manoeuvering at low speeds-as soon as i shift my weight while changing direction i have to stop the front wheel going all the way (the bike along with it).Is it built like that or am i just not used to it? The bike is tip-top, if it was used i would of believed it had a crash,but no.I'll ride it in the week-end and tell you more on monday about the ride. Untill then, best of luck gentlemen

Ride Safe!
Congratulations, they are a bit top heavy especially when the tank is full but you will soon get used to it.
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #950
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
thanks mate...i am keeping a lookout in the ADV oz thread for any future infos...but i can't seem to get into the other link..

Try this then http://www.exploroz.com/ It's a 4x4 site but has really good info about Oz roads, locations & distances etc

As a normal residence of where you are in...where would you go riding and stay if you have 1 week of stay.that means an average of 4-5days of riding plus stay.and what kind of budget are we doing here...hotel,bike rental,and any expenditure that i need to know of...riding areas should be 80% road,20% offroad if possible.places of interest and scenic view location?Sorry for being a pain....
G'day A.J.

January is our hot dry summer & peak tourist season & if I was planning a budget/economical style holiday in South Australia or anywhere in Australia, caravaning is very popular in Oz & parks in different towns are often part of a linked group, so you can prebook your next destination. You also meet lots of other travellers who can provide excellent ideas on sights & locations to visit etc.

Most caravan parks have self contained airconditioned 1 or 2 bedroom cabin/units where you provide your own food/champagne (ie for kissy, kissy quiet tiime etc) & have basic cooking facilities or you can get takeaway food or go out to eat. They can be very economical, nothing flash, but still cosy for newlyweds & have enough space inside & out to park your gear & bike eg

on the beach http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/accommodationc.htm

or walking distance to the city centre of Adelaide http://www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.a...mmodation.html

there are many others too if you do a google search. Most are clean & comfortable.

Another source of good info is here http://www.southaustralia.com/Adelaide.aspx

(I have no association with any accommodation facility & these are just my ideas. I use them a lot when travelling with my wife to keep the costs down. Check out relative locations on google maps)

Easy places to ride two up suggestions would be;

Day Trips: Adelaide Hills; Fleurieu Peninsular; Barossa & Clare Valley

Overnight Trip: The southern Flinders Ranges as it is about 5 hours ride north of Adelaide.

Those locations would fill your week & I would be happy to be your tour guide or point you in the right direction at least.

Apart from bike hire, I would estimate you could do it all including basic but comfy accommodation, food, drinks, fuel etc for under say AUD$300 per day or slightly more if you wanted to impress the misses some what.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Cheers

TDMKym

masterbrewer screwed with this post 09-07-2008 at 04:04 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #951
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer
G'day A.J.

January is our hot dry summer & peak tourist season & if I was planning a budget/economical style holiday in South Australia or anywhere in Australia, caravaning is very popular in Oz & parks in different towns are often part of a linked group, so you can prebook your next destination. You also meet lots of other travellers who can provide excellent ideas on sights & locations to visit etc.

Most caravan parks have self contained airconditioned 1 or 2 bedroom cabin/units where you provide your own food/champagne (ie for kissy, kissy quiet tiime etc) & have basic cooking facilities or you can get takeaway food or go out to eat. They can be very economical, nothing flash, but still cosy for newlyweds & have enough space inside & out to park your gear & bike eg

on the beach http://www.adelaideshores.com.au/accommodationc.htm

or walking distance to the city centre of Adelaide http://www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.a...mmodation.html

there are many others too if you do a google search. Most are clean & comfortable.

Another source of good info is here http://www.southaustralia.com/Adelaide.aspx

(I have no association with any accommodation facility & these are just my ideas. I use them a lot when travelling with my wife to keep the costs down. Check out relative locations on google maps)

Easy places to ride two up suggestions would be;

Day Trips: Adelaide Hills; Fleurieu Peninsular; Barossa & Clare Valley

Overnight Trip: The southern Flinders Ranges as it is about 5 hours ride north of Adelaide.

Those locations would fill your week & I would be happy to be your tour guide or point you in the right direction at least.

Apart from bike hire, I would estimate you could do it all including basic but comfy accommodation, food, drinks, fuel etc for under say AUD$300 per day or slightly more if you wanted to impress the misses some what.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Cheers

TDMKym

splendid...this are valuable infos...thanks masterbrewer...i know i can count on ya...

kissy kissy...i like that part....
Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #952
sakura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Question

Hi mates! I have to byu rear tyre and occasionally find a little bit used (~3 000 km on tarmac) but for very low price/ What can you say about METZELLER TOURANCE 150/70 R 17 M/C 69V TL? Especially if it was not in use this season?

Thanx in advance!

http://flickr.com/photos/kaidan/
kaidannik.livejournal.com

Listen to the voice of you mind ... Listen! Do You hear that bullshit it says?!?
sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #953
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Hey man...I've used the tourance before...and i like em....i am gonna change back to tourance once my anakee is done....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #954
sakura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Hey man...I've used the tourance before...and i like em....i am gonna change back to tourance once my anakee is done....
Ok thanx! Are they soft enough for speedy turns on asphalt and tarmac?

http://flickr.com/photos/kaidan/
kaidannik.livejournal.com

Listen to the voice of you mind ... Listen! Do You hear that bullshit it says?!?
sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #955
gothmog
Chief maniac!

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura
Hey, Sakura, i've used the Tourance on the Pegaso, which was lighter and taller, they are excellent both on tarmac and gravel roads but they're not quite the most "radial" of them all, if you lean the bike more it has a chance to slip, especially if they're a bit older and harder on the outside. Over all i liked the tyre, the grip is good and on the wet does a good job. Went off-roading with it (not mudd,but in rest ), gives good grip on sand or dirt,plenty of traction and brake capability.However i do not know how well it does on the TDM, i currently run on Dunlop Sportmaxes, good on the asphalt, stink at everything else, fortunately the bike is stable and the riding position is upright, gives you good control, but everytime i get a sand patch on the tarmac i feel the bike wanting to go and leave me behind.
Good luck with the Tourances

Has anyone fitted a bash-plate on a 9'er? (apart from AJ,of-course).Can anyone tell me where i could buy one?

Thanks, best of luck

Diamond black Yamaha TDM 900A -The Dream Machine
gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #956
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothmog
Hey, Sakura, i've used the Tourance on the Pegaso, which was lighter and taller, they are excellent both on tarmac and gravel roads but they're not quite the most "radial" of them all, if you lean the bike more it has a chance to slip, especially if they're a bit older and harder on the outside. Over all i liked the tyre, the grip is good and on the wet does a good job. Went off-roading with it (not mudd,but in rest ), gives good grip on sand or dirt,plenty of traction and brake capability.However i do not know how well it does on the TDM, i currently run on Dunlop Sportmaxes, good on the asphalt, stink at everything else, fortunately the bike is stable and the riding position is upright, gives you good control, but everytime i get a sand patch on the tarmac i feel the bike wanting to go and leave me behind.
Good luck with the Tourances

Has anyone fitted a bash-plate on a 9'er? (apart from AJ,of-course).Can anyone tell me where i could buy one?

Thanks, best of luck
you mite want to try those fitted on wee-strom...i m eyeing on that...
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #957
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura
i personally felt it is best all rounder...
Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #958
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,200
First ride on TDM850, cross country 834 miles, GREAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy
Ok, so I buy this bike on Ebay, cant find a ride to philadelphia and my truck is a gas-guzzler plus towing is smart but boring, so I buy a $200 plane ticket and will just fly there with helmet, is a 600 mile ride back on unknown machine, 92 TDM850 , will check my oil thanks. If any riders live in PA or OH please PM me as to get some sos contacts, hopefully I will not need it, Been XC before many times on my VFR but the unknown/new buyer stress is very high on this one. fingers crossed, thanks Doug
After many taxis, shuttle vans, 2 planes...I finally met the very nice sellers, Bike is like new condition, a better bike than I expected, runs excellent and I got a great deal. On monday, was my busy day traveling, I picked up bike and rode 200 miles away from the city into the PA scenic mountains, very nice day weather wise, great first ride on bike...I got a nice hotel, walked to the bar (beer time) and got in fairly early, lots of good sleep...and today my a$$ hurts as rode 634 miles home, thru cold/rainstroms and sunny/scenic, all kinds of terrain, many tanks of fuel... bike is outstanding. VERY HAPPY with my 'new' 92 TDM850 /very small issues to look into, slight buzz (normal) at grips gives you the tingles, Has anyone used a "bar snake" or filled up bars to rid grips of this slight vibration, just looking to improve. Also there is what I call a "clutch lag" means letting out clutch then nothing for a second , then it engages, I have had other bikes that do this, clutch is not slipping, is just a lag. Would heavier spings fix this? any simple clutch mods? Also I am coming off a supermoto (Husqvarna sm610s) that I "geared down" and was a much better bike, this TDM has long legs..is geared for speed/autobahn, I would like to put a bigger rear sprocket, gear it lower, less top speed, more power..but 1st seems low now, anyone gear lower and happy with the results, Do you have a gearing combo that you like over stock? with good shift points and improvement over oem gearing? Also finish on wheels is looking bad, like wheels are corroding? anyone with this problem? Is there a fix? I like to just repaint but surface is doing strange things on wheels. advise on. Just a few ?S , I love bike and its a keeper, will continue to make improvements, great adv ride!

dougfromindy screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 03:33 AM
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #959
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Also finish on wheels is looking bad, like wheels are corroding? anyone with this problem? Is there a fix? I like to just repaint but surface is doing strange things on wheels. advise on.
Strip the wheels down and get them powdercoated.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #960
never2old4fun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:

After many taxis, shuttle vans, 2 planes...I finally met the very nice sellers, Bike is like new condition, a better bike than I expected, runs excellent and I got a great deal. On monday, was my busy day traveling, I picked up bike and rode 200 miles away from the city into the PA scenic mountains, very nice day weather wise, great first ride on bike...I got a nice hotel, walked to the bar (beer time) and got in fairly early, lots of good sleep...and today my a$$ hurts as rode 634 miles home, thru cold/rainstroms and sunny/scenic, all kinds of terrain, many tanks of fuel... bike is outstanding. VERY HAPPY with my 'new' 92 TDM850 /very small issues to look into, slight buzz (normal) at grips gives you the tingles, Has anyone used a "bar snake" or filled up bars to rid grips of this slight vibration, just looking to improve. Also there is what I call a "clutch lag" means letting out clutch then nothing for a second , then it engages, I have had other bikes that do this, clutch is not slipping, is just a lag. Would heavier spings fix this? any simple clutch mods? Also I am coming off a supermoto (Husqvarna sm610s) that I "geared down" and was a much better bike, this TDM has long legs..is geared for speed/autobahn, I would like to put a bigger rear sprocket, gear it lower, less top speed, more power..but 1st seems low now, anyone gear lower and happy with the results, Do you have a gearing combo that you like over stock? with good shift points and improvement over oem gearing? Also finish on wheels is looking bad, like wheels are corroding? anyone with this problem? Is there a fix? I like to just repaint but surface is doing strange things on wheels. advise on. Just a few ?S , I love bike and its a keeper, will continue to make improvements, great adv ride!
Nice bike, I sure wish Yamaha would bring them back to the US .
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote