ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #1186
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TDMTAM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 112
Are you really going to use it off road? or just the odd gravel road.
I really did like the F800GS it was the only other bike bar the TDM900 that I really fancied (with in my price range obviously)
But I had heard a few issues with the F800 engines at 50k also the dealer prices & the fact that they were not willing to a deal deal with me. So Yamaha won, I got Approx £500 of list price & centerstand included in the deal + the 0% deal.
Happy so far.

TAM

TDMTAM screwed with this post 01-02-2009 at 08:16 AM
TDMTAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #1187
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dicky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMTAM
Are you really going to use it off road? or just the odd gravel road.
I really did like the F800GS it was the only other bike bar the TDM900 that I really fancied (with in my price range obviously)
But I had heard a few issues with the F800 engines at 50k also the dealer prices & the fact that they were not willing to a deal deal with me. So Yamaha won, I got Approx £500 of list price & centerstand included in the deal + the 0% deal.
Happy so far.

TAM
I do the occaisonal dry track now (gingerly) because of the limited choice of tyres with the 18" front wheel. It would be good to be able to fit dual purpose tyres. BMW's generally do not have Japanese reliability and the GS800 is probably no different. At the moment the TDM looks like the best bet.
__________________
Dicky
2009 TDM 900
1997 Suzuki 250RT
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #1188
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TDMTAM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 112
Try speaking to Emmett on Carpe-tdm, he went from a mkI to a f800gs last year & as far as I remember was made up by it.
TAM
TDMTAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #1189
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,701
hey guys some advice...posted this q in road warriors too.TDM 900 or 1150gs(maybe even an rs).I dont want a full adv just something that will cope with a gravel road or three..as well a tarseal.Will most likely be my daily too.
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #1190
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TDMTAM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer?
hey guys some advice...posted this q in road warriors too.TDM 900 or 1150gs(maybe even an rs).I dont want a full adv just something that will cope with a gravel road or three..as well a tarseal.Will most likely be my daily too.
My answer would be if you ask a TDM guy he is going to sing it praises, & if you ask a GS guy he is going to sing it praises (even though he is wrong )
But the TDM900 is a good all rounder, reliable punchy motor, good handling, great brakes but I would not want to take it any thing more than a gravel road. Although saying that if you look at the adventures of AJ on his 900 & masterbrew on his mkI 850 you will see that with a few mod's a lot more is possible.
The GS is also I good alround bike the front suspension works well can be fully loaded & no effect the handling too much can go further off road than the TDM in stock form.
But for me it was down to price brand new TDM900 to a GS that was at least 3-4 years old.
The fact this is my 3rd TDM may be I am stuck in a rut or may be the TDM just suits me & my riding style/ skill.

Try carpe-tdm for more info on TDM's & this site, UKGS'er for GS info. Then see if you can blag a test ride on both.
All the best
TAM

TDMTAM screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 09:02 AM
TDMTAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #1191
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer?
hey guys some advice...posted this q in road warriors too.TDM 900 or 1150gs(maybe even an rs).I dont want a full adv just something that will cope with a gravel road or three..as well a tarseal.Will most likely be my daily too.

You're on a TDM thread mate....


definately no doubt the answer would be obvious...


It all depends on your pocket...never ask this question again to anyone...

Buy which one you think will ease your pocket....and both bikes definately would go the same path or route where the rider's want it to go...Except for a fact,only one will last much longer with very little TLC...
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,XL1000V(project)(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()VF750C-96(project tracker)
(Hyundai Tucson-(For Family)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #1192
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1
Back from my skiing/family holiday in France, pleased to see you survived the wedding A.J. , the pictures are beautiful

Now back to bikes, do I go for a new TDM900 or go for a bike with more off-road capability but can still tour, (KTM Adventurer, GS800)?
My TDM850 has now got over 85,000 Km's on the clock and though I have had no problems, I don't want to push my luck too far.

So what do I do ?...........
I think you should buy a 900...trust me...a very different feeling compared to the 850...
It's like comparing DRZ400 and DR350..

Buy a 900,and buy a used XR650L,or Dominator,or DR650,or and 650 dual sport bike to do the nasty stuff...
With thise 2 bikes,i still think you have more than 2grand spare for the rainy days...
The fun and adventure awaits you,is more worthy than any arty sort of bikes...unless...you really got lot's of mooolah and don't know where else to throw...
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,XL1000V(project)(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()VF750C-96(project tracker)
(Hyundai Tucson-(For Family)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #1193
ahoraquemister
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ahoraquemister's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Oddometer: 152
Coping with conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1
Great pictures, would be very interested to hear your opinions of which bike you think is coping with the conditions best.
Hi.

Its a little dificult to say wich bike is best but here are some of the impressions of the group.

TDM is a little more paved road driven, and they do this very very well. One big drawback is that there are not desingned to have good off road capabilities. The suspension is too hard and they have their engines runing red hot with the ventilators on 80% of the time when traveling in bad roads at speeds below 15 mph.

The Gs1200R is a good alrounder with excelent off road capabilities and good paved road capabilities, but tends to autodestroy or autodesintegrate everynow and then.

The Vstrom is also a good allrounder but laks speed and beauty, and ABS.

Im glad that I brought the TDMs to this trip (85% paved, 10% unpaved, 5% just miserable) but if I wanted to have a more off road trip I would preffer the GS.

There are new pictures. Have a look inside.
__________________
¡Bogota, Colombia to Buenos Aires !
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413392
Trip videos at the end of thread!!!

ahoraquemister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #1194
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer?
hey guys some advice...posted this q in road warriors too.TDM 900 or 1150gs(maybe even an rs).I dont want a full adv just something that will cope with a gravel road or three..as well a tarseal.Will most likely be my daily too.
I own a TDM900 and have owned an R1100GS. If you're planning on doing a lot of two-up touring, especially involving camping, I'd recommend the GS. It's more powerful, roomier and has more luggage capacity if you go with Jesse panniers.






But for daily riding involving town/city, solo touring, and occasional two-up touring I'd give the TDM the thumbs up. It's much lighter and slimmer, shifts way more smoothly and the clutch is far lighter. It's much less maintenance intensive (valve adjustments every 25,000 miles versus the beemer's 6,000). And the motor sounds much nicer than the boxer once you put aftermarket cans on it.

__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #1195
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dicky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
I think you should buy a 900...trust me...a very different feeling compared to the 850...
It's like comparing DRZ400 and DR350..

Buy a 900,and buy a used XR650L,or Dominator,or DR650,or and 650 dual sport bike to do the nasty stuff...
With thise 2 bikes,i still think you have more than 2grand spare for the rainy days...
The fun and adventure awaits you,is more worthy than any arty sort of bikes...unless...you really got lot's of mooolah and don't know where else to throw...
I want this bike for long distance touring, 4k plus km's involving some tracks. We ride separate bikes so no passenger & plenty of space for gear. We like to maintain 120kph plus on the long tarmac stretches and have a bike thats comfortable on dirt roads. When you are a long way from home reliability is paramount & good tank range. On the tracks light weight is good also some nobbly tyres.
The TDM in my view is good on all but the tyres & maybe the suspension could be better (for off-road)
The competition appear to have weaknesses in other critical areas, like reliability or tank range which are even greater weaknesses on a long trip.

It looks like it will be another TDM
__________________
Dicky
2009 TDM 900
1997 Suzuki 250RT
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #1196
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dicky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoraquemister
Hi.

Its a little dificult to say wich bike is best but here are some of the impressions of the group.

TDM is a little more paved road driven, and they do this very very well. One big drawback is that there are not desingned to have good off road capabilities. The suspension is too hard and they have their engines runing red hot with the ventilators on 80% of the time when traveling in bad roads at speeds below 15 mph.

The Gs1200R is a good alrounder with excelent off road capabilities and good paved road capabilities, but tends to autodestroy or autodesintegrate everynow and then.

The Vstrom is also a good allrounder but laks speed and beauty, and ABS.

Im glad that I brought the TDMs to this trip (85% paved, 10% unpaved, 5% just miserable) but if I wanted to have a more off road trip I would preffer the GS.

There are new pictures. Have a look inside.
Thanks for your for that, confirms what I figured.
Enjoying your report particularly the pics of Cotopaxi (reminds me of a small excursion up the volcano 30+ years ago). Best wishes for a successful trip
__________________
Dicky
2009 TDM 900
1997 Suzuki 250RT
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)

dicky1 screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 02:41 AM
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #1197
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,701
looks like the tdm then....although the gs may have the ultimate performance(praps road and track) the tdm will do as twinrider suggests....the shaft drive is a real attraction for me though and is the only shortcoming...I also mightght see if a can get a 19 in wheel to get the benefit of a more modern front tyre.
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #1198
dicky1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dicky1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton, UK
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I own a TDM900 and have owned an R1100GS. If you're planning on doing a lot of two-up touring, especially involving camping, I'd recommend the GS. It's more powerful, roomier and has more luggage capacity if you go with Jesse panniers.






But for daily riding involving town/city, solo touring, and occasional two-up touring I'd give the TDM the thumbs up. It's much lighter and slimmer, shifts way more smoothly and the clutch is far lighter. It's much less maintenance intensive (valve adjustments every 25,000 miles versus the beemer's 6,000). And the motor sounds much nicer than the boxer once you put aftermarket cans on it.

Thanks for that neat summary twinrider. I guess each bike has it's drawbacks in one area or another and I tend towards the same conclusions.
__________________
Dicky
2009 TDM 900
1997 Suzuki 250RT
2009 Varadero 1000 (hers)
1996 TTR 250 (hers)
dicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #1199
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer
 
advNZer?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Wellington,New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,701
(imagine the pic of twinriders loaded g/s here)

You sure you got enough gear there twinrider?I can see this just would not FIT on a tdm!!!
advNZer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1200
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,005
That was taken during a 5-day camping trip with the wife
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014