Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Vespa after market?

HI,

Yesterday I went and had a demo ride on a gt300 and I want one. As I have done with all bikes I had, I like to add stuff and the vespa would be no exception.. how is the after market suppourt for them? I am talking racks and a top case?

I saw the OEM stuff and well, it is pricey (I know what was I thinking right?) but since a lot of people do a lot of stuff for bikes like mine (KLR) and also for the DR, GS ... I was under the impression that is was the same for all bikes.

So please advice.

Damasovi
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
smallmouthbass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I own a 2012 GTS 300 and I was hoping somebody would reply since I have the same questions. I was interested in the less expensive Faco and Cuppini racks. I have found old reviews but I wanted to know how these racks held up. I see that you posted on another forum and did not get any helpful responses.

I have never owned a Shad or Givi top case so I cannot help you with an alternative to the expensive Vespa stuff.
smallmouthbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Wish I had some good answers for you. Have you looked at www.Scooterworks.com?

They seem to sell generic stuff rather than the more expensive factory products. It's one of the reasons I stopped using them- I don't want non Vespa parts on my scooter. That said, I have bought a rack and front bumper guard from them and am happy with the purchase. It's engine/electrical replacement parts I don't want to substitute.

Another way you could look at it is if you are buying a 300 GTS, it's one of the most premium scooters out there- you might consider using the factory brand case on it just to keep it all factory....just a thought. We need pictures when you get it!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
greg531
greg531

Oddometer: 26
If you want to know anything about Vespa's, go the Modern Vespa site...
greg531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg531 View Post
If you want to know anything about Vespa's, go the Modern Vespa site...
He did, and got 1 reply, which is why he's trying here.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmouthbass View Post
I have never owned a Shad or Givi top case so I cannot help you with an alternative to the expensive Vespa stuff.
hi there! and thanks to all that reply. I have used since 2007 givis and I like them.

I only want to put front and rear racks and the top case, so my 6 girl old can sit there and lean. Once I buy it I will ended up with a vespa rack and a monolock or monokey from Givi, maybe one of the pretty ones and let will be it. A guy here Segaiet? (sorry for the spelling man!) has a red 250 with a givi 45L and it looks soo pretty and with 45 L of crap, I will be so happy (I ride to University on my bikes, and a laptop comes with me).

And I do get the part of premium, and this time I am going to face it. For economical great transport I have a KLR... or if running the vespa is too expensive, well I should buy a Honda 125 cc scooter and put the miles on that! (one more reason for a 3rd bike!)

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Damisovi, try looking on Amazon for the Bestem T-box. I have one on my GTS 250 and it works as well as the Givi I have on my Silverwing.. The Givi, with color matched panels, brake light and mounting plate costs about $450 while the Bestem cost under $100, shipped to my house. It has a brake light, quick release from the mounting plate, and a back rest. Mine is plain ABS black plastic, not color matched. The dimensions appear to be exactly the same as the Givi 46 liter Mono*** (the better one Givi makes).

Windshields are available from three or four manufacturers. Same with racks. I have a Prima windscreen that is very good, and a front rack from Faco,which is pretty good with one fault - it opens 90 degrees, but not parallel to the ground. Since it doesn't open as far, more things block the headlight.

Other parts like oil filters, belts, rollers, gaskets, shocks are available from a few places online. Look at Scooterwest and PM Tuning (in the UK).

I bought the scooter used, with 3300 miles on it. I've put 13000 miles on it in three years and it has been problem-free. Just tires, oil, belt and rollers. It has equalled my Silverwing in reliability.

Hope you enjoy your new scooter.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
I wonder who actually makes Vespa's racks and cases.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Vespa topcases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Wish I had some good answers for you. Have you looked at www.Scooterworks.com?

They seem to sell generic stuff rather than the more expensive factory products. It's one of the reasons I stopped using them- I don't want non Vespa parts on my scooter. That said, I have bought a rack and front bumper guard from them and am happy with the purchase. It's engine/electrical replacement parts I don't want to substitute.

Another way you could look at it is if you are buying a 300 GTS, it's one of the most premium scooters out there- you might consider using the factory brand case on it just to keep it all factory....just a thought. We need pictures when you get it!

The Piaggio factory topcases suck. Trust me on this. Over-priced and under-built.

Givi or Shad cases are a better buy, if you plan on actually using it vs. just looking at how nicely it matches your Vespa.

Just saying....
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Seconded, I have a Kappa topcase which has slid down the road with the bike, fallen over in several carparks and is still waterproof. Saved my indicators too. It's mounted on a 450 pound bike BTW, so should do even better on a light scoot.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
ALRiverRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have ordered stuff from Scooterworks, Scooterwest, and Dennis Kirk. If you get on the MV website and search for threads on the specific thing you are looking for, there is a wealth of information.
ALRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
He did, and got 1 reply, which is why he's trying here.
Modern Vespa is a big forum and a good resource . . . however, I posted a pic of my 946 and got told I was 'attention seeking' . . . WTF??!!!

As for aftermarket racks etc. I've got genuine Vespa stuff on my 946 and my 300GTSS . . .

Here: http://www.scootercrazy.com/acatalog...cessories.html

Good luck with your search.
FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
ALRiverRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
[QUOTE=FizzyRascal;24376670]Modern Vespa is a big forum and a good resource . . . however, I posted a pic of my 946 and got told I was 'attention seeking' . . . WTF??!!!

Lot of tongue in cheek comments on MV - especially from the Brits. Somebody started a thread in MV recently looking for a Master List of Vespa After Market parts and so far it doesn't look like one exists. If any thing pops up, I'll pass it along.
ALRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=ALRiverRat;24377599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyRascal View Post
Modern

Lot of tongue in cheek comments on MV - especially from the Brits. Somebody started a thread in MV recently looking for a Master List of Vespa After Market parts and so far it doesn't look like one exists. If any thing pops up, I'll pass it along.
Cool! So far I found only what you have mention, plus the rear rack from Givi monokey, and that is all I will be needing after initial purchase, so my 6 year old can sit on and relax a bit on the scooter.

See you!

Damasovi
Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyRascal View Post
Modern Vespa is a big forum and a good resource . . . however, I posted a pic of my 946 and got told I was 'attention seeking' . . . WTF??!!!

As for aftermarket racks etc. I've got genuine Vespa stuff on my 946 and my 300GTSS . . .

Here: http://www.scootercrazy.com/acatalog...cessories.html

Good luck with your search.
How about a pic of that 946.
Love that thing!
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote