Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 514
That's the ticket, man. Get the legal stuff sorted first- buying any sort of motor vehicle right now is going to add liability to your situation. It's going to take up funds, it's going to give her leverage against you, it's going to take up time, etc, etc.

Get the legal stuff sorted. Get out. Then get the bike to celebrate when you KNOW what you can afford, when you can get what YOU want, without worrying about what your sociopathic mother wants, when you'll know a bit better what you need (are you going to be living six blocks from campus (moped), three miles (scooter) or twenty miles (motorcycle).

Good luck. Stop considering other people, you need out of there. If someone physically attacks you, call the cops without remorse. If you have someone you can stay with (a buddy with a couch, whatever), do that first- get physically out of the house with no warning, and you'll be beyond her control. She'll try to make you think you're not, but you will be. Then get a lawyer. Get the cops involved. The law's on your side.
DustyRags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Noctis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Technically speaking, if someone attacks me and is dead serious about it, I expect one of us to die. The financial portion I'm not sure how much to worry about. It's about $6-7k total for bike and gear(I can easily afford both with what I have in checkings), although I do have about 3 times that in savings that I haven't touched. I'm just not sure how much legal fees will amount to.

I was considering my own transportation in the first place because my work situation is going downhill(coworkers flocking out one after another, and my hours going up on top of school), and most of the other jobs(Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco) I'm looking for are on the other side of town from my campus, with the only welding jobs(I have an AAS for it, but haven't done any welding in a few years, didn't figure out I disliked it until just before I got the degree) in the next city about 10 miles over.

So yeah, lots of crap, and I'm not sure which to tackle first. I was planning to head over to my campus and consult with them about student housing and scholarships tomorrow, and maybe squeeze in a phone call to some potential apartment rentals.
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
DustyRags
Idiot

Nobody has to die. If someone's come after you with a weapon, go to the cops now. Seriously, that's gotta stop.

$6-7k is pleeeeeeenty for a solid bike and great gear. If you have that, you can get moved out now.

Cut your losses first. Get out of the mortgage, or get it just in your name so you've got an investment.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
Noctis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRags View Post
Nobody has to die. If someone's come after you with a weapon, go to the cops now. Seriously, that's gotta stop.

$6-7k is pleeeeeeenty for a solid bike and great gear. If you have that, you can get moved out now.

Cut your losses first. Get out of the mortgage, or get it just in your name so you've got an investment.
Well, like I said, I kind of want to test the waters first(by buying the bike & gear) to see if it's just an empty threat and I'm just being overly paranoid, or whether I'm actually living in a nanny state household of idiots. Bike might take too long unless I can somehow pass the road test with zero formal training, but I probably wouldn't ride it without the gear anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
I wrote a long response and deleted it.

You're 26 and you're starting a 4 year college program- you don't need to be thinking about mopeds and motorcycles. You need to get some counselling and get your family situation straightened out. ASAP. One doesn't sign a mortgage with an abusive family member(s) unless there is more to the story or something is seriously wrong.

This is a scooter thread. We can suggest you get a cheap used 125/150 Kymco, Sym, Yamaha, etc scooter that's been beaten with the ugly stick to limit risk of theft, but I suspect you could figure that out on your own.

Best of luck. Seriously.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Speed restriction is 30 mph for moped class vehicles.

To be honest, I could probably get away with buying a Vespa GTS 300, work the exterior over with sandpaper(even used ones cost upwards of 6 grand), claim I bought it off craigslist(falsify a listing), and insist it's a 50cc moped. But personally, I don't feel I have to become a pathological liar because my mother likes to talk out of her ass about a subject she doesn't know jack shit about.

As for scooter vs motorcycle, I think I'm allowed my own personal tastes. And while I intend to stay off the freeway for 6-8 months, I like having the option to go on it if needed.

I'm looking for student housing, but I take it that dissolving a mortgage you just signed last month(saying "no" to the bitch who used to beat you weekly until you got on your knees and begged for your life for 8 years is kind of tough) is somewhat of a legal headache and would cost some money to do in and of itself. I also have to hope it doesn't damage my credit rating to the point where the landlord doesn't approve my rent application.

There's also the fact that I suspect I'm right in my assessment that my mother and brother are sociopathic psychopaths who might follow me to work/school just to stalk/threaten/harass me. Moving out of state is also tough given the need for in-state tuition rates, which would push me from getting my 4-year degree at age 30 down to age 32+, barring the fact that I don't know anyone stateside and there's no guarantee of a job if I move.

Then I'd need to change my social security number to make sure they don't f**k me over with that, and pay off the rest of my medical bills and make sure they don't divulge my new address to my family(evidently my brother makes a habit of impersonating official govt organizations over the phone).
If this is really all true you should follow the advice others have already given. Screw the moped. Get out of there. If you can get out of the mortgage, great. If not, you still need to go. Nothing else is really worth worrying about.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #22
DustyRags
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I wrote a long response and deleted it.

You're 26 and you're starting a 4 year college program- you don't need to be thinking about mopeds and motorcycles. You need to get some counselling and get your family situation straightened out. ASAP. One doesn't sign a mortgage with an abusive family member(s) unless there is more to the story or something is seriously wrong.

This is a scooter thread. We can suggest you get a cheap used 125/150 Kymco, Sym, Yamaha, etc scooter that's been beaten with the ugly stick to limit risk of theft, but I suspect you could figure that out on your own.

Best of luck. Seriously.
This. Get shit sorted, then get the bike. Good luck. We'll be here when you're ready.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #23
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
oh wait. you mean it really is a moped?

holy smokes
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
This gotta be some kind of joke.

Yep AMAC, I'm ashamed.

I think you're right.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #25
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Buy either of my CT-90's. They have dual range transmissions and will climb a telephone pole. Then grow up and get some balls.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #26
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post

Yep AMAC, I'm ashamed.

I think you're right.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979954

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980748

Seems he's having a time in a number of threads. Op, you're a little intense, and for a guy just starting out you show no self control on purchases (yes, saw your little prepper picture with the $800 knives and $400 boots).

Could it be that your mom may just be concerned that you don't have a lick of common sense?

I'm feeling a bit played like a cheap violin. I'll repeat my comment from my earlier post. Get some counseling. And stay off the internets.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #27
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i think, from the sound of things that you really need a Yamaha R6. helmets are a bad idea, also so don't waste time with them just open it up dump the clutch and go as fast as you can up the hill. no more problems, Norman.

or, just sell all the crap you don't need and pay the mortgage you agreed to so the rest of us don't pay the price for your iresponibility.

And fwiw, a 50cc Chinese bike will pull the hill, but it will be slow.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:

Seems he's having a time in a number of threads. Op, you're a little intense, and for a guy just starting out you show no self control on purchases (yes, saw your little prepper picture with the $800 knives and $400 boots).

Could it be that your mom may just be concerned that you don't have a lick of common sense?

I'm feeling a bit played like a cheap violin. I'll repeat my comment from my earlier post. Get some counseling. And stay off the internets.

Oh crap he's a prepper with a wacky family situation. Fox will be doing a reality show on him soon. I'm outta here.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #29
Noctis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Funny, she didn't seem to give a shit when my brother burned up 50 grand upgrading his Subaru Impreza for street racing, and kept missing his rent payments because of it.

Oh, and I suppose common sense = starting a major argument with me because I wanted to use the prescription ointment my dermatologist told me to put on my skin to treat my eczema instead of the homeopathic asian itch cream she bought in Chinatown? Then accusing me of always wanting to start an argument because I disagreed with her on anything?

Oh yes, she's a shining example of common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
i think, from the sound of things that you really need a Yamaha R6. helmets are a bad idea, also so don't waste time with them just open it up dump the clutch and go as fast as you can up the hill. no more problems, Norman.

or, just sell all the crap you don't need and pay the mortgage you agreed to so the rest of us don't pay the price for your iresponibility.

And fwiw, a 50cc Chinese bike will pull the hill, but it will be slow.
What part of "I'm going to pay the mortgage and my college tuition first" is unclear to you?

FYI, I don't smoke(for reference, a pack a day smoker would burn $1,825/yr, assuming you can get them at $5 a pack), drink, watch movies, or eat out. Frankly speaking, I don't feel I spend more money than any other person(certainly not my brother). I simply spent it on something else.

I also did happen to sell some crap I don't need, hence why I can afford to buy the bike, gear, and insurance, have it all paid off in full, end up with zero credit card debt, and not touch my savings at all, AND still have enough to pay for my next term after summer's over.

What part of that is irresponsible?

Noctis screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 03:28 AM
Old 06-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #30
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
You.

You're a mess. You want to troll and play games, there's a sub forum for that. This isn't it. You may as well cash in now, as I don't think you're going to get much legitimate help anymore in the scooter forum.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote