User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
End all be all adv & 2up bike

I am in one of the largest dilemmas I have ever faced when it comes to bikes.... Some back ground of bikes I have owned over the last 10 years (roughly 50k miles), from a Qlink 200, to yzf600r thundercat, to my absolute dream bike an RC-51 (stolen & recovered after being wrecked ). To now a buell blast, more fun in twisties than you shake a stick at , a ktm 250 sx smoker . And my commuter/2up steed a bandit 1250s. I love the motor but the ergonomics are just not appealing to the wife, she is 5'9" with long legs I am 6'1" no issues reaching the ground. So I have looked/sat on a few V-Stroms (all 650) and she likes the rear seat room and pegs. I want to ride one to try out how it feels while 2up. My riding style is 90/10 on road, yes the bandit has enough clearance for fire roads... but with a limited budget and already 3 in the stable I can't justify brand new without trading in or selling one or two. My question to the inmates consists in 3 parts:
1. Do I keep the bandit and buy new seat (~$500) and modify rear pegs with extensions (~$200)?
2. Trade into a V-strom 650 (maybe 1000) with little cash (mileage not a huge concern as long as regular maintenance completed)
3. Look at a completely different bike altogether?
I want to travel longer distances without being 1.5hrs in and she needs to stop for the day. I have an airhawk R, it helps but still the rear pegs are too high for a 5'9" frame women . Let me know your thoughts!!
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
barts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Consider a Yamaha Super Tenere. Comfortable two up, sufficient power (1200 cc), reasonable for fire roads, shaft drive so no messy chain. Very reliable reportedly; I commute on mine as it's plenty narrow for filtering/splitting. Traction control, ABS, etc.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
sander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I just switched from a GSX1250 to a Super Tenere. It's a bit slower and bigger. But I couldn't be happier. Definitively worth a look.
sander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Consider a Yamaha Super Tenere. Comfortable two up, sufficient power (1200 cc), reasonable for fire roads, shaft drive so no messy chain. Very reliable reportedly; I commute on mine as it's plenty narrow for filtering/splitting. Traction control, ABS, etc.

- Bart
Not a bad choice at all.

I looked at a Bandit briefly but the rear passenger pegs are way too high for any sort of pillion comfort. So I passed. I had a Vstrom 1k for a couple years, very comfy for me and my wife with a nice engine and plenty of power. But I'm not keen on chains for long distance riding so the Stelvio took it's place and I couldn't be happier.

You didn't mention budget, but I get the feeling it's not without limits.

It somewhat depends on how comfortable you are with Euro bikes, otherwise you are somewhat limited in the ADV style selection from the Japanese companies as they didn't choose to import many of them.

There are some sport touring options with good passenger ergos but I guess you have to decide what class of bike will work for you. The ADV class is just getting rolling here so older choices are somewhat limited.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-Dog View Post
my commuter/2up steed

---

with a limited budget
Commuting +
two-up +
limited budget.

Of new bikes, I say it has to be the DL650, 2012 or newer.

If your budget can΄t take that, then sure why not the older 2004-2011 version, too... but in fact the -12 model did address many of the older versions shortcomings quite nicely. What exactly is the price difference, will probably vary from region to region, and whether the newer model is worth that difference, is really up to you to test ride them both, and then decide. Kawi Versys 650 might be another candidate, but it΄s a sportier bike, and won΄t match overall two-up capability of the Suzy.

If you have more money to spend, then you΄ll have a lot wider selection, including the Super Tenere, or the new DL1000 version... and surely those bigger displacement bikes will beat a 650 on two-up extended motorway riding, will have better suspension and electronic gadgetry. But its obvious they cost a lot more, weight some more, and won΄t match the fuel economy of a midrange bike. Besides, the new model DL650 does motorways two-up remarkably well for a 650. Older wasn΄t bad either.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Barts: I like the look of the S-10 as i hear they are called, the chain drive is not a deal breaker with me. At least i have never run into issues with the chain drive. I will keep the Super Tenere in mind.

Sander: Thank you for the comparison since you have come from the 1250 to an Adventure Style bike. Can you compare the wind difference with both having stock windscreens?

danketchpel: I did my homework but there were comfort concerns that were not said until after the purchase. So now after 1 year its time to look for another great steed. I am heavily looking at a V-Strom but i want to keep options open to anything else too.

Pecha72: That is the way i am leaning now, but i just need to find a smoking deal on one if it comes down to getting one. If i do get an Adventure style bike i think some RR are in order!!!

Thank you to everyone commenting, keep it going and if i missed something let me know!!
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
"90/10 on road" - get a used 12 Triumph Tiger Explorer - no question.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thumb

Used Super 10 or used Explorer. They are both starting to show up on CL and @ dealers. I prefer the TEX, but they're both great bikes. The TEX fit us better @ 6'4" and 5'9". Ride them both, (with your wife) and see which one puts the biggest smile on your faces. I'm betting you'll be ready to trade one of the old bikes off as soon as you've taken the test rides.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
The Stelvio has a great pillion seat. Lots of leg room, monster fuel tank for distance, and that motor and sound.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #10
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Another vote 2012+ dl650a

Here is a 380lbs 6'4" man sitting on my bike.

I am a 250lbs and 6'2" and my wife is 5'9" and a lot less. We fit great on the glee.

Bu I like the tiger just no dealers around.

I've put 3700 miles since April 23rd and it does everything I want it too. Gravel/dirt roads, pot hole ridden back roads, twisting county roads and highway.
wvtaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
The 650 vstrom will do it, but the stock seat will not work for long distance. Maybe the airhawk might help... but id still recommend budgetting in a nice custom seat, if for no other reason than to make the trips that much more pleasant. Pleasure is why we ride in the first place, and the stock seat will become a hiderance.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 103
Try a Buell Ulysses. It will fit you well, your wife will like the passenger seat, low maintenance, belt drive, you will like it in the twisties and based on your other steeds, it fits your personality.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
Used Super 10 or used Explorer. They are both starting to show up on CL and @ dealers. I prefer the TEX, but they're both great bikes. The TEX fit us better @ 6'4" and 5'9". Ride them both, (with your wife) and see which one puts the biggest smile on your faces. I'm betting you'll be ready to trade one of the old bikes off as soon as you've taken the test rides.
When we were shopping we rode both the S10 & TEX 2 up. I thought the stock ergos on the S10 were better and I liked the handling a little better. The triple in the TEX will walk all over the S10's twin but can be a little abrupt for dirt riding. But since you said 90/10 that might not be much of an issue. I think there were some issues with the early TEX cylinder heads but I haven't read up on it fully, check the TEX threads. The S10 is pretty much bullet proof.

But.... I wouldn't own one without doing a ECU reflash to fix the lame throttle response and power restrictions. I simply hate the stock S10 throttle response down low, it feels very disconnected. I rode three of them to make sure and all three were the same. The reflash makes it what it should be in many ways.

The mapping on the TEX was fine, no complaints there from me.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to carry for luggage when riding 2 up but if it's much I might think twice about a 650. It will do it but you'll be wringing it out pretty hard.

The new Vstrom 1k is sounding very appealing from what I've read. It seems like they took the old bike and improved on it in just about every way. And the price is pretty attractive.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm not sure what you're expecting to carry for luggage when riding 2 up but if it's much I might think twice about a 650. It will do it but you'll be wringing it out pretty hard.
yeah, a 650 is just too tiny, can΄t do it no way...

Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #15
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,385
I almost always travel 2-up, after growing tired of trying to keep my old beemers on the road, I bought a 2012 650 strom because I'm cheap. The bike works amazingly well at 2-up travel, however, if I wasn't so cheap, I'd get a yam super10. With either bike, great dealer network around the US, but in all honesty, probably never need them! I just have too many friends with beemers and guzzis, swear they are awesome bikes, but always seem to have them in pieces!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote