Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
I'd be curious as to what modern Guzzi is "always in pieces". I've got 6 of 'em, from '66-2011, lowest mileage on any of them is 50,000 and they're never "in pieces".

Maybe because other brands are brought to dealers to be put in pieces.

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 AM   #17
Allucaneat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
"90/10 on road" - get a used 12 Triumph Tiger Explorer - no question.
+1 to that. My wife is a little shorter at 5'-4", but we both find the Tiger Explorer to be very comfortable.
Allucaneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #18
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Having owned both bikes, 2012 S10/Dl650a, and ridden them both 2up a lot. The dl650 is a fantastic bike. Suzuki really nailed it with that bike. The S10 is just as good. Yamaha nailed it as well. I would look at the s10 if it were me as it is a better 2up bike, better touring bike, and better off road. The V is fantastic I just found the S10 to be 1 step better in the catagories important to me.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
If you had a DL650 and hated it, you are really screwed.

At the light end, there's the WR250/DRZ400, then DL650, then S10.

Really, nothing between the DRZ400 and DL650 that's actually better, yeah, different, but not 'better'. I owned an F650, the ONLY advantage over the DL was better turning circle.

2012 DL is better than the earlier models, but .. probably not enough.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #20
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Oh and my wife found the S10 to be more comfortable. She has back and hip issues and she can do 350+ miles a day on the S10
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #21
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
I'd be curious as to what modern Guzzi is "always in pieces". I've got 6 of 'em, from '66-2011, lowest mileage on any of them is 50,000 and they're never "in pieces".

Maybe because other brands are brought to dealers to be put in pieces.

I've had guzzis, and rode them plenty of miles,(and still go to guzzi rallies) yes, at times they were reliable for the most part, but when they needed something, it was quite the chore(rear main seal!!) My buddy rides a California, can't remember the year, keeps it well maintained and spotless, yet I cringe when he says that is what he's riding for the weekend, I've had to screw with that bike more often than not while on the road, but he says it's reliable!!
the modern guzzis do seem years ahead, but what scares me is the lack of dealers if you do need something on the road(not many dealers out around Wyoming!) and the fact that they seem to be changing models often, which is something the Japanese used to do, but now it's the Europeans doing it. Reasons I chose the strom, dealers everywhere, been made for over a decade with minor changes, damn near bulletproof, cheap to own and maintain, relatively simple, not "over-gadgeted" and for a 650, it puts a lot of other bikes to shame.
I like the new stelvio, but I don't know if I would want to go around the world on one, the yam super 10, I wouldn't think twice about it.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #22
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Even though i am a big fan of the vstrom, If a used s10 is within the budget, I too would pick it over the vstrom for 2 up duty.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
fxrjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Ride a dl650 before you buy one. Its the only motorcycle i've ever owned that I flat out hated. I got sucked into the forum hype, and to this day I dont understand how/why people like them. Shit suspension, shit brakes and less character than a wet sock lying on the floor. All I could think about while riding it was how much money I would need to put in to it to make it a decent bike.

I'd vote tiger 800.
fxrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
alekomotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I just sold my 2012 DL650 exp edition for a triumph 800xc.

The DL650 is a decent all around bike. I did a trip last summer for 2 weeks, 6500kms. 2 up and 90lbs of camping gear.

The bike is a great commuter both 1 and 2 up but it struggled uphill (low on power). It got AMAZING gas mileage and was easy to ride on multi-surfaces. I would have looked into a better rear shock if i had to do it again.

The main reason for the sell, is the vstrom is NOT an exciting bike (IMO). You open the garage and say "ok". I open the garage and see the tiger and say "Hell yeah".

DL650 easy to service (except air filter), low maintenance, great on gas, ok on all surfaces and comfortable. No wow factor. It took me 2 weeks on it to realize, there are more exciting things to ride out there.
alekomotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
It depends on what you want to spend. S10 is in a different category. I think all in all its the better bike for 2 up riding.

However, its not uncommon to find the DL650 at dealers for $7,300 USD.
That's about half the price of the S10. You could literally buy two Vstroms for the price of an S10. And the cost difference doesn't end there.
I get 55 MPG on my strom. S10 is rated at 40 mpg.

Turn key ready??? Not sure about the S10, but if you get a DL650, count on spending another $500 or so to get it road comfortable. Givi Airflow windshield is a must. Heated grips, accessory outlet, better seat, etc.

But again, I think the S10 has significant benefits over the Strom. So, set your price point and then see what bikes meet that criteria to narrow your search.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,705
Get rid of a MC or two and with the cash get a used S10.

GREAT VALUE!
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #27
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
I've had guzzis, and rode them plenty of miles,(and still go to guzzi rallies) yes, at times they were reliable for the most part, but when they needed something, it was quite the chore(rear main seal!!) My buddy rides a California, can't remember the year, keeps it well maintained and spotless, yet I cringe when he says that is what he's riding for the weekend, I've had to screw with that bike more often than not while on the road, but he says it's reliable!!
the modern guzzis do seem years ahead, but what scares me is the lack of dealers if you do need something on the road(not many dealers out around Wyoming!) and the fact that they seem to be changing models often, which is something the Japanese used to do, but now it's the Europeans doing it. Reasons I chose the strom, dealers everywhere, been made for over a decade with minor changes, damn near bulletproof, cheap to own and maintain, relatively simple, not "over-gadgeted" and for a 650, it puts a lot of other bikes to shame.
I like the new stelvio, but I don't know if I would want to go around the world on one, the yam super 10, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Someone already has gone around the world unsupported on a Stelvio. (Stelvio2stelvio.com) I'd take off tomorrow on mine without a second thought if I could. I can't imagine worrying about where dealers are. I can't think of anything on the bike I couldn't fix as well as the dealer.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #28
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
I'm in the same boat as the OP.

I have a Bandit 1200 Nekkid and my pillion (5' 7") can't handle the cramped seating position for long rides (And I ride on long rides).

I also desire a more modern bike (EFI) with slightly less HP/Torque and a little more economy.

A Tiger 800 Roadie is at the top of my list followed by a used DL1000 or new DL650 currently.

I'll be lurking with interest.

-Jake
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #29
dcwn.45
Frozen Rider

Oddometer: 755
I have an 06 wee with just under 70,000 miles.
Ive done a bit of riding on it.
My former wife was not fond of riding so I didnt care much about 2 up, she would only go for short rides.
Im now dating a woman who always seems to want to take the moto
I borrowed a friends Concourse 1400 for a day trip [2 rides of about 2.5 hrs, I expected the connie to be more comfortable for the passenger, and she said the wee was far more comfortable for her.
I have a seat from a vee [a bit taller, less dish]
The wee does geat 2 up as long as you dont want to go above 75 mph [it will go faster, but is working hard and getting a bit buzzy]
I think my wee is a great bike and Im not getting rid of it anytime soon, I would get the vee if 2 up was a priority.
Im getting a 95 r1100 rs this weekend for use as a 2 up/trip bike.
I think this will be a good addition to the stable.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 AM   #30
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Even though i am a big fan of the vstrom, If a used s10 is within the budget, I too would pick it over the vstrom for 2 up duty.
Sure.

What I don΄t quite follow is, why the DL650 and S10 get compared. The other costs probably double as much as the other. On the S10 price level, you get a looooooooooooooooot more choices of very capable 1000-1200cc 2-up tourers. On the DL650 price level, you get the Versys 650, or NC700/CB500X, but none of them will match the Suzy for that duty. Even thought they may beat it in other areas.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote