User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #31
Snizz
two wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 22
Wicked

I ride 2up on a 2013 dl650 quite often, and had an 05 dl650 for roughly 30k miles, which was used 2up as well. I am 6ft 220, my lady is 6'1 150, 36 inch inseam. I also have a 2012 street glide with a custom seat and passenger backrest. Every time I ask her what bike she wants to take, she always says the vstrom.

My biggest problem with the vstrom 2up is the center of gravity being so high, especially with such a tall passenger, at low speed or braking. Minor complaint though, and not everyone is so large. Great bike though.
Snizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #32
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Sure.

What I don΄t quite follow is, why the DL650 and S10 get compared. The other costs probably double as much as the other. On the S10 price level, you get a looooooooooooooooot more choices of very capable 1000-1200cc 2-up tourers. On the DL650 price level, you get the Versys 650, or NC700/CB500X, but none of them will match the Suzy for that duty. Even thought they may beat it in other areas.
You make a good point. There definitely appears to be a concensus amongst adv crowd that in the price range of the vstrom there really isnt anything that beats it in terms of overall capability/versatility. That's why I own it and enjoy it.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm not sure what you're expecting to carry for luggage when riding 2 up but if it's much I might think twice about a 650. It will do it but you'll be wringing it out pretty hard.
Quote:
yeah, a 650 is just too tiny, can΄t do it no way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekomotto View Post
I just sold my 2012 DL650 exp edition for a triumph 800xc.

The DL650 is a decent all around bike. I did a trip last summer for 2 weeks, 6500kms. 2 up and 90lbs of camping gear.

The bike is a great commuter both 1 and 2 up but it struggled uphill (low on power).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwn.45 View Post
I have an 06 wee with just under 70,000 miles.
Ive done a bit of riding on it.

The wee does geat 2 up as long as you dont want to go above 75 mph [it will go faster, but is working hard and getting a bit buzzy]
Exactly what I said.

Ya the bike will do it, but you will be wringing out out pretty good on the hills and at higher elevation.

I rode a DL1000 for a while and you can make 100+ mph passes 2 up and loaded without sweating it. Does it get worse mpg, yup. It's a trade off.

Dang, why do some DL650 riders get so defensive?
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 11:47 AM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #34
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Sure.

What I don΄t quite follow is, why the DL650 and S10 get compared. The other costs probably double as much as the other. On the S10 price level, you get a looooooooooooooooot more choices of very capable 1000-1200cc 2-up tourers. On the DL650 price level, you get the Versys 650, or NC700/CB500X, but none of them will match the Suzy for that duty. Even thought they may beat it in other areas.
Probably because many S10 owners are ex-DL guys. I LOVED my 08 DL650. Best bike for the $ and super reliable. I really like my Super Tenere, once I got it dialed in. Similar Personalities, S10 just more of everything.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #35
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
This is great feedback from everyone!!!

So far there are 3 contenders from everyone's replies.

V-Strom
Super Tenere
800 XC

I have setup a ride this weekend at a local dealer to try all 3 of these bikes to find which checks all my boxes and the wife's boxes too!!!

The only worry I have is the V-Strom the dealer has is an 09 w/64k miles on it.

I have a good bit of research and reading that 650's routinely get about 100k before major rebuilds if not longer let me know your thoughts on this. At this point the bandit unfortunately seems to not be worth much which now limits my choices even further due to budget constraints.
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-Dog View Post
This is great feedback from everyone!!!

So far there are 3 contenders from everyone's replies.

V-Strom
Super Tenere
800 XC

I have setup a ride this weekend at a local dealer to try all 3 of these bikes to find which checks all my boxes and the wife's boxes too!!!

I have a good bit of research and reading that 650's routinely get about 100k before major rebuilds if not longer let me know your thoughts on this. At this point the bandit unfortunately seems to not be worth much which now limits my choices even further due to budget constraints.
If they were making a popular tv show called the Sons of Practicality, it would star a bunch of non-descript folks riding DL650s, going for function over form. :). We (wife and I) each have an 07 DL650 and it does everything one needs and freighted down its respectable. On occasion, we'll 2up for short rides if my wife wants to rubberneck and even with a E52 mounted on the back, she thinks it's very comfy. She's 5'7-8" it does feel a bit top heavy at low speed, but I adjust my riding to accommodate.

Don't get me wrong,id love something with more power etc, but it doesn't get me anywhere faster typically, adds insurance and reg $, subtracts fuel economy, and the wind is in my face either way, regardless. We bought two DL650 07s with under 12k miles each for a total of $7100. Score

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 300
Sold a 2012 Triumph Tiger and Bought a 2014 V-Strom 650. My vote goes to the V-Strom. As for carrying a passenger, my wife prefers the V-Strom too.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #38
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-Dog View Post

I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if you mentioned where you are...that being said, there are a whole lot of DL650/1000s out there with less mileage for good prices. While those bikes can go a long way without a rebuild, there's still "minor" stuff (swingarm/steering head/wheel bearings, etc) that will need replacing at some point at or near that mileage.

If you can, find something will less miles.

For what it's worth, I'm about $6500 into my 2007 DL650. Bought it July of 2010 with 12k on it for $4000 with a taller screen and Scorpion exhaust. I've put on crash bars, skid plate, highway pegs, luggage, tail rack, Ractech springs and emulators and an Ohlins rear shock to the tune of ~2500 over the past 3 years. The suspension work transformed the bike, especially for 2 up. It's got 32k miles on it now and has never let me down.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #39
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

Ya the bike will do it, but you will be wringing out out pretty good on the hills and at higher elevation.
Well it depends on what you compare it to.

Compare it to more or less anything available at a similar price, and it does even motorways 2-up really great. By the way, lots of people actually seem to base their views on how the older version did, and it did okay, but here newer is notably better, its suspension tweaks and redesigned aerodynamics make it more stable at higher speeds.

No way it is ever gonna match the big ADV bikes for high speed 2-up touring, but I don΄t think anybody has claimed it would. But the newer Wee can cruise comfortably at 80-85 mph all day, really not a whole lot left on tap then, but I seldom ride any faster, even on motorways, and even if the bike could go 200mph (BTW, our highest permitted speed limit is about 74mph, and that΄s only on motorways, normal highway limits are about 62 mph, though we΄re naturally using kms per hour here).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #40
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Got a TEX and having a sidecar installed. If it don't make the wife comfy I'll have to start solo riding.
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #41
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I'm wondering why the dl650 is getting compared to the S10 when the dl1000 exists? The 650 is a great bike but the 1000 is better two up. Ergo's are slightly roomier on the 1000(the seat is an inch taller but shaped the same as the 650). It has a higher load rating. It has 30 more HP. Both Strom's are bulletproof. The two drawbacks of the 1000 are; 1)It only gets low 40mpgs vs. the 650 getting 50+. 2)The 1000 weighs more than the 650. However, at 520lbs with almost 7 gals of fuel on board...the 1000 still only weighs 520.

If I only rode solo, I might have chosen the 650 since it's a little more nimble and great on fuel. I ride about half the time with a passenger and for me, the 1000 was clearly better for 2 up.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #42
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
I'm wondering why the dl650 is getting compared to the S10 when the dl1000 exists? The 650 is a great bike but the 1000 is better two up. Ergo's are slightly roomier on the 1000(the seat is an inch taller but shaped the same as the 650). It has a higher load rating. It has 30 more HP. Both Strom's are bulletproof. The two drawbacks of the 1000 are; 1)It only gets low 40mpgs vs. the 650 getting 50+. 2)The 1000 weighs more than the 650. However, at 520lbs with almost 7 gals of fuel on board...the 1000 still only weighs 520.

If I only rode solo, I might have chosen the 650 since it's a little more nimble and great on fuel. I ride about half the time with a passenger and for me, the 1000 was clearly better for 2 up.

Well said and agreed
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #43
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The 1000 V Strom might be out of the running.... Do to wife not wanting a larger motor at the expense of fuel economy.

I am very excited for this coming weekend when a deal might be finalized for a straight trade for a high mileage Wee Strom. The NADA values the Bandit more, might be due to the 1250 power plant

If anything happens I will alert the inmates that I would have joined the SUV of motorcycles with the strom, wish me luck in negotiating
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #44
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
You can pick up new left over S10's right now for high $10k. Used they are $9-10k with low miles. A new dl650 is $9k + new. If I were spending $9k i Would grab the S10.

Different bikes in the same price range
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #45
professorkx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
800xc hands down

My wife rides with me 95% of the time on the 800xc. Almost 9000 miles since new with 6 months of riding. In fact, we rode 1000 miles over memorial weekend without a problem. Two sons also have the 800xc and ride their ladies about 90% of the time. The girls vary in size from my wife at just over 100 pounds to the largest at 5'8" and....well...let's just say she weighs more than my wife.

We have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on Harleys and currently own 2 Harleys plus the 800XC, the most comfortable of which is the Harley Ultra. Last weekend, while on a dual sport ride, my wife ask if it made an sense to keep the Ultra any longer since the Tiger has become our primary bike. Shocked me she would even suggest such a thing, as she love the Ultra.

For full disclosure, the passenger "pillow" isn't much to write home about, so my wife uses an airhawk and is fine. One of the other girls likes the airhawk as well, but the third one didn't care for an airhawk so they purchased a Sargent Seat that has a very well designed passenger pillow.

We ride 50/50 dirt/street, and ride some pretty gnarly stuff, and the Tiger has never disappointed with it's ability to handle the outback with a passenger...

forgetthecouch.com for my ride reports
professorkx is offline   Reply With Quote