Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,820
I would be tempted to get the seat and the pegs for the Bandito grande.
That engine is something else and you will miss it sometimes if you get a S10 or a DL650

Saving some money and waiting another year for the prices of the bikes that you are looking at to come down.

Personally, I went the DL650 route, moving from a Harley FXDX to an 04 DL and from that DL to a Honda 919 and from that back to a DL only I got a 2012.

However I don't ride two up, since the wife unit has her own bike.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #47
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
The second time on one day i have to praise the Versys Mil if that's available.

You will miss little to nothing from the Bandit and get better ergos, protection, ground clearance, comfort for both rider and passenger and possibly economy. You have only to close your eyes when getting one , as if dreaming and then the dream will likely come true.

Another option in terms of comfort and ride would be the NTX.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #48
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Final Decision has been made!!!!!

First I want to thank each and everyone of you who has contributed to this thread.

I made the decision yesterday and rode her home that evening to then start wrenching on it, I'll get to why it needed immediate wrenching....

The decision was a hard one but in the end price played a larger factor than anything this was between an xc800 and a DL650. One dealer gave me a better trade in credit by a good bit and that beat it out..... Both bikes I rode were great solid machines yes the XC was a bit more fun but I have a love affair with that vtwin rumble...

Ok l went with....... an older style DL650!!!! I got a great deal on it cause PO had lowered it and dealer didn't want to mess with it, which made the test ride crappy cause the wife and I couldn't ride it together due to rear wheel rubbing fender..... So I tested it by myself and over railroad tracks I was able to bottom it out....

This lead me to believe the rear shock was gone and the lowering links had ruined the geometry and possibly something else. So first things first, work on rear shock and put tools in the hard luggage (the price included it ) to transport to MaddieDog's house for wrenching . Low and behold what did I find taped to the inside of one pannier????.... the original links!!!!

After removing the 2 bolts it was returned to stock height almost 4 more inches off the ground and 6in between rear wheel and inner fender well . And after a bit of fiddling with the rear shock MaddieDog found the hard or soft settings at the bottom left side and preceded to tighten (towards the hard setting, while I was trying to free up the stuck preload knob.

This made a dramatic difference from the very low, sloppy noodle of rear suspension Strom to the regular sized planted in corners VStrom .

And now I am posting this after day 2 of ownership cause I was busy working on my Strom until 2am and riding all day today, currently 275 miles into my love of it!!!

Big shout out to MaddieDog for being a great friend and huge help, couldn't do it without ya!!! Plus being an awesome riding buddy, dude we have dirt bikes
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #49
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 293
Having owned a Tiger and currently owning a V-Strom, I'd say you made a smart choice!
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #50
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-Dog View Post
First I want to thank each and everyone of you who has contributed to this thread.

I made the decision yesterday and rode her home that evening to then start wrenching on it, I'll get to why it needed immediate wrenching....

The decision was a hard one but in the end price played a larger factor than anything this was between an xc800 and a DL650. One dealer gave me a better trade in credit by a good bit and that beat it out..... Both bikes I rode were great solid machines yes the XC was a bit more fun but I have a love affair with that vtwin rumble...

Ok l went with....... an older style DL650!!!! I got a great deal on it cause PO had lowered it and dealer didn't want to mess with it, which made the test ride crappy cause the wife and I couldn't ride it together due to rear wheel rubbing fender..... So I tested it by myself and over railroad tracks I was able to bottom it out....

This lead me to believe the rear shock was gone and the lowering links had ruined the geometry and possibly something else. So first things first, work on rear shock and put tools in the hard luggage (the price included it ) to transport to MaddieDog's house for wrenching . Low and behold what did I find taped to the inside of one pannier????.... the original links!!!!

After removing the 2 bolts it was returned to stock height almost 4 more inches off the ground and 6in between rear wheel and inner fender well . And after a bit of fiddling with the rear shock MaddieDog found the hard or soft settings at the bottom left side and preceded to tighten (towards the hard setting, while I was trying to free up the stuck preload knob.

This made a dramatic difference from the very low, sloppy noodle of rear suspension Strom to the regular sized planted in corners VStrom .

And now I am posting this after day 2 of ownership cause I was busy working on my Strom until 2am and riding all day today, currently 275 miles into my love of it!!!

Big shout out to MaddieDog for being a great friend and huge help, couldn't do it without ya!!! Plus being an awesome riding buddy, dude we have dirt bikes
Always down for a good time.

Freedog and his new ride:

In its natural habitat:

http://www.hondapcx.org
maddiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #51
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Nice! Congrats on the new strom and welcome to the club.

You guys should bring a tow rope next time u go offroading like that. That vstrom might get stuck
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #52
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 85
Just riding!

Since riding 2-up is like driving a fun car with a trailer bolted to the back, what are the chances of your wife learning to ride her own bike?
Believe me, this could open up a whole new world to you (and her.)
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #53
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty01 View Post
Since riding 2-up is like driving a fun car with a trailer bolted to the back, what are the chances of your wife learning to ride her own bike?
Believe me, this could open up a whole new world to you (and her.)
I have that Buell for just that momentous moment but I doubt this will happen anytime soon.... Though I am very hopeful!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #54
Free-Dog OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Always down for a good time.

Freedog and his new ride:

In its natural habitat:
MaddieDog!!!! Thank you for posting the pics they are great!!! And I did the salute on the very first ride....
Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #55
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Good choice. I just finished a 2500 mile trip with my 2013 DL650 adv with the 3 bags, 2 up. The bike was loaded and I stopped at a truck scale and weighed the bike with both of us and all our gear, full tank of gas. It weighted 470 kilograms or 1034 lbs. Seeing as the Gross Vehicle Weight is supposed to be around 415 kilograms or 913 lbs we were seriously overloaded.

The only place I really noticed the weight was when you first took off, but once the bike was rolling it was a none issue. Pulled in 5 and 6th gear ( depending on grade ) at elevations between 5 & 6 thousand feet. Roll on passing in 6 gear on 2 lanes with no problems.

With this bike if you are working it, like I was, you want to keep the bike in the 5k rpm range. It pulls like crazy in this range and has no problems with accelerating. But it is still a 650. So if you are basically a speed limit plus 10 % this bike is fine. If you want more initial grunt or travel a lot 2up on the interstate than the DL1000 would be a better choice.

The mods that I did to the bike was different tires - Anakee 3's, heavier rear spring on the stock shock, fork brace and pegs lowered, corbin seat.

The bike for what it is is amazing. Passenger liked the ride and the seat and had no complaints.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #56
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorkx View Post
...to the largest at 5'8" and....well...let's just say she weighs more than my wife.
Nice!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #57
MotoAddiction
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have Tiger 800XC did a two up on highway, at 80mph, I think the tech needle was like slightly above halfway point. I'm still a noob, but I think that's plenty. Half the time I have to check the mirror to see if my wife was still back there. I can't even imagine how it is with bigger bikes.
MotoAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #58
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Same here - I had plenty of bikes before, on Tiger I was hitting 200 kmph on way to meet in Germany with wife and luggage. I only stopped this stupidity when I was refueling and looked at rear tire. Which was already on way out, but after 200 kmph (that's 125 mph, right? Or something like it...)run with passenger...oh My...
Did not feel different than my old VTR1000 with passenger. May be even easier.
My friend regularly rides his old DL650 I modified for him (wire wheels) with passenger no probs in any conditions. I tried it too - not a problem.
Bikes almost always more capable than we.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #59
dflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I'm sure it has been discussed here and elsewhere, why didn't Suzuki bump the displacement of the DL650 when they refreshed things for 2012? Come to think of it I'm surprised the DL1000 didn't get a bump as well.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin
dflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #60
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by dflow View Post
I'm sure it has been discussed here and elsewhere, why didn't Suzuki bump the displacement of the DL650 when they refreshed things for 2012? Come to think of it I'm surprised the DL1000 didn't get a bump as well.
and they should do it, cos bigger is always better, right??

The 1k actually was bumped, but only about 40cc (to 1037cc).