Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
2 Guys and a Girl Tackle the TAT: Part One

About Us

Amber Cooper
AKA The Girl
5’8”
GPS navigator
Bike: 2009 Suzuki DRZ400S (9,000ish miles)

A little about me. I will be our trip reporter for this adventure. I am 25 and work as a middle school special education teacher. I have been on two wheels since I was 4. I grew up around vintage motorcycle racing (AHRMA) and traveling to races around the country. I was lucky enough to have parents to support me for chasing the women’s championship in 2009 and won the championship. I live for and love motorcycles. It has always been in my blood. I am lucky to have meet an amazing guy that fell in love with riding and puts up with my motorcycle disease! I am ecstatic about this trip and can’t wait to get started.

The Knox Kinser
AKA The Rookie
6’1”
Devilishly good looking
Mr. Mechanic and muscles
2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (4500ish miles)
I’m 33, a painter at Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah, and Amber’s better half. Haha! The Rookie. I have been actively riding for about two years. I have had a few small cc Hondas over the years but never a real bike. I have always wanted a dual sport bike and talked my girl and best friend the Wheelie King into the upcoming great adventure! Found the TAT almost two years ago online while Skyping the girl. She bought a DRZ first, thus forcing my hand haha! Amber got me into dirt riding on our second date and have been hooked since! I can’t wait for the trip and don’t really dread anything other than the monkey butt and Wheelie King’s loud a** muffler!!!

Garrett Jennings
AKA The Wheelie King
6’3”
The other mechanic and roll chart navigator
Bike: 2001 XR650L (4400ish miles)

I’m 25 years old and currently a quality inspector at JCB in Pooler, Georgia. I have been riding off and on since I was 12. I always loved Hondas because it was my first bike. I was fortunate enough to find Knox and Amber and be invited on this awesome adventure called the TAT. I was not sure if I would be able to go due to not having a bike and a little something called life. Then, I thought why not do it while I can. You only live once! Definitely the least prepared out of the three but always up for a good challenge and adventure. Looking forward to antics of two friends and seeing parts of the country I never thought I would ever see. They call me the Wheelie King because they always tend to find me on the back tire! (Bald tire, I must add, up until the beginning of the trail----added by Amber) They swear they can tell whenever I’m wheeling because of my obnoxiously loud pipe “brrrraaappppppppppp”! (More on this annoying muffler issue later—added by Amber)

**Wheelie Pic Coming Soon....as soon as bike is finished....****

Our Trip
Knox is responsible for starting this idea of a great adventure by doing the TAT. One night during a Skype call, he said to me, “Hey, have you ever heard of the Trans-American Trail?” I said, “No, but please tell me more!” Ha! Thus, the whole process begun of finding out about adventure riding, buying our majestic steeds, and researching more about the TAT. We love adventures and camping in our VW buses. So, we thought it only natural to set out on a great adventure on motorcycles. We have had our DRZs for about a year and hope our preparation is enough. Enter our friend Garrett, Mr. Wheelie King. We met this crazy guy because he lives in our neighborhood and loves vintage Volkswagens like we do. Probably the best rider of our group, but also the craziest! So we will have two guys and a girl (don’t be dirty…) on this adventure across America. This year will be Part 1 of the adventure. We will start the trail June 21st in Tellico Plains and end sometime around July 4th. We hope to make it to Colorado. Works forces us to have to break the trip up into two parts. We don’t really know what to expect. We have tried to learn through multiple ride reports for what to expect and what gear to bring. We are currently at 10 days and counting down. We are working hard to finish equipping the bikes. Let’s just say we have quite a few packages coming to our house in the next few days!

2 Guys and a Girl Tackle the TAT: Part 1
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,797
well, as a fellow Southerner .. may the force be with you. make sure you take pictures when you have to show the men how to change a flat.

you are starting at the right time of year. Now go get'choo some!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Best of Luck! Yep, pictures or it didn't happen. Should be an epic adventure, we'll be following along!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 550
Too bad I didnt know there were other ADV'rs in Savannah, I am moving out of Savannah in 6 days. Ride safe!

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
BornAgain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I just picked up a KLX250s with the intent of starting the TAT next year so the title peaked my interest. My wife's an elementary English Second Language teacher and her students are always amazed to find out she rides a motorcycle. Good luck with the trip preparations.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
subscribed

this is going to be a good one!
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
TahoeRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Subscribed...

Looks like this will be a fun one to follow along...no pressure or anything.
PM me when you get close to western NV if you need anything. (edit - next year?)
(ie, someone to show up in the desert with a jeep full of beer...)
TahoeRob
TahoeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Have a great adventure! We will be a few days ahead of you. If you guys are real fast, or we have troubles, maybe we will meet up. A DRZ, 2 DR's, and a KLR.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
So far on this thread we have 250s up to 650s. It will be interesting to see how your 400s do compared to the 650.

I've wondered if there is a "perfect" bike for the TAT, or is the perfect bike the one you already have?

Ride safe if you can, have fun no matter what.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
I just picked up a KLX250s with the intent of starting the TAT next year so the title peaked my interest. My wife's an elementary English Second Language teacher and her students are always amazed to find out she rides a motorcycle. Good luck with the trip preparations.
My kids were also amazed that I rode. They always look for my helmet on my file cabinet or check the parking lot lol. I also drive my VW Bus to school sometimes and they love that too. The DRZ400 is biggest bike I would feel comfortable riding. Lol! Maybe one day I will bump up to a Husky. But for right now the DRZ fit the budget!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRob View Post
Looks like this will be a fun one to follow along...no pressure or anything.
PM me when you get close to western NV if you need anything. (edit - next year?)
(ie, someone to show up in the desert with a jeep full of beer...)
TahoeRob
Thanks! NV will be next year for us. But we will definitely look you up! The guys would never turn down a jeep full of beer haha! Thanks for following along! I know I have been reading ride reports for the past year and I love them! It is always fun to read about others' adventures! Now it is our turn!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
Have a great adventure! We will be a few days ahead of you. If you guys are real fast, or we have troubles, maybe we will meet up. A DRZ, 2 DR's, and a KLR.
I don't know if we will be faster than y'all lol. That's a good group! Hope it is smooth sailing with no troubles for all of us! Will you be checking adv rider during the trip? I might PM for any detours or such if you are. Are y'all camping or staying in motels?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
The DRZ is more than capable. I hope you fit steel sprockets front an rear bore leaving. Aluminum ones will have you trying to source some out on the ride...oh if you were doing the complete TAT. You might want to figure an oil change every 1,500 miles as DRZ's prefer clean oil.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
bearsvw
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Nice site, I'll be watching you two on the trip.
bearsvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
motogirl25 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
The DRZ is more than capable. I hope you fit steel sprockets front an rear bore leaving. Aluminum ones will have you trying to source some out on the ride...oh if you were doing the complete TAT. You might want to figure an oil change every 1,500 miles as DRZ's prefer clean oil.
We are planning an oil and air filter change halfway through. So around 1,000 miles or so. Knox is used to working on vintage VWs. So we are always on top of oil changes around here lol! Thanks for the tips!