User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Genuine Scooter, what about them?

Hi, the other I went to my local vespa and other brand scooter place. I was taking a look at what they have and I saw a Stella and I was all over it, like it a lot, fit and finish.. Then I didn’t see a Vespa/Piaggio logo and saw Genuine, so my question is, are they good? I never heard of them so that is why I was asking.

Thanks

Dámaso
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Specific Genuine model? Performance expectations? Too lazy to Google?
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
JoshM
PCX150

Oddometer: 93
US based, Taiwan built. Stella and Buddy most popular.
Buddy = 50cc, 125cc, 170cc
Stella = 150cc, 4spd manual (and new auto)

Pretty good dealer network. I think I see more Buddies around my area than any other particular scoot.

Seem to be well built and reliable. I would have bought a Buddy but it's a very small/compact scoot.
JoshM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
it is a generic question about opinions from anybody and specially owners.

The Stella is the one that got my eye.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Thanks!
The Stellas are built in India by a company that used to build Vespas under license. The Stellas are sold all over the world under a different name that escapes me at the moment.

Other Genuine scooters are built by PGO in Taiwan, and are well made.

I have a Genuine Buddy 170i and couldn't be happier.

Check out the Modern Buddy website/forum for more feedback on the Genuine scooters.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
the stellas are built in india by a company that used to build vespas under license. The stellas are sold all over the world under a different name that escapes me at the moment.
lml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohia_Machinery_Limited
Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
JoshM
PCX150

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenuftaknowbetter View Post
The Stellas are built in India by a company that used to build Vespas under licenss.
That's cool to know! I thought (assumed) all of their products were from Taiwan.

JoshM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,245
I had a Rattler 50. Loved the bike as it was of good quality and a stylish design. If I can find a Rattler 110 it could be just the ticket.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
jw18
fail

Oddometer: 609
I have two Buddy's, a Black Jack and a 125cc red one. Both 2009 models.

My friends and I constantly take them out for rides around Birmingham the shortest being a 120+ loop. Both scoots have performed flawlessly even towing around one of my friends that is almost 280lbs! I can't personally speak about any other model, but the Buddy's are hard to beat for a basic scooter that will keep up with traffic. No issues maintaining 55 and carrying a bunch of stuff to boot.

jw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Genuine is basically an importer for PGO out of Taiwan and for LML out of India.

At the moment Genuine is the most stable importer and they now have enough clout to convince the manufactures to come up with special models just for the US market. The Hooligan 170i is there latest effort.

Its my understanding the Genuine has a pretty solid fan base and the sales are pretty good in many markets. I am pretty sure unlike countless other importers they are here to stay.

PGO is an interesting manufacture. Wikipedia says it best!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PGO_Scooters
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
...The Stellas are sold all over the world under a different name that escapes me at the moment...
Bajaj?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 241
I put more than 10k miles on 3 different Buddy 125s. One had more than 35k miles when I sold it. Not a single issue. They're great bikes, I buy em if I'm ever between bikes.

The 125 tops at 65speedo, about 60gps, but runs lean at that speed. Cruising at 55 is comfy though. They're great econoscoots, way better than the Chinese pieces of crap, and almost as nice as Hondas.

I advise against the Stellas, they're maintenance nightmares. Edit: talking about the 2t Stella.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Bajaj?
Bajaj is a different company, but a similar story. They also built Vespas on contract with Piaggio, and then under their own name, and then came out with their own (Vespa-derivative) models. My friend has a '66 Bajaj Priya that is a nearly spot-on take on a Vespa VBB. The later Chetaks and Legends are Bajaj-designed 4-stroke bikes, but clearly derived from the P-series Vespas. Bajaj was sold in the US under their own name.

The same story with LML, who were partners with Piaggio in building the Vespa PX150 for India - India used to require (maybe still does?) foreign companies to partner with local manufacturers. When Vespa/Piaggio stopped selling the P/PX Vespas for India, LML bought the Piaggio-built factory and continued on. LML Stars are sold in the US by Genuine, as Stellas.

The 2-stroke Stellas (2003-2009) are essentially PX150s - the machines that make them say Piaggio on 'em - with a couple minor tweaks and worse build quality. The 4-stroke Stellas are an in-house engine design that still derives (or copies) a lot from the PX - but required moving away from the monocoque frame Vespa made it's name on, and though it looks like a 2-stroke Stella or P/PX Vespa, it's actually a tube frame from the front of the seat back. The newest Stella, the 125cc CVT automatic, is also tube framed, and powered by a repackaged GY6 motor - normal GY6s are too long for the Stella's shape, see, so they had to angle and contort it to fit in the wheelbase allowed.

I bought my 2-stroke Stella new in 2008. It was main scooter, and then my daily rider for several years. Mine has been better than most, but they are not very reliable. I could write a whole post on my Stella's storyline. The 2-stroke models have cranks and bearings that are prone to failure - which hasn't happened to me yet - but ALL Stellas suffer poor build quality. The 4-strokes are better, but still suffer from very shoddy wiring and worse. Hell, I know two people that took delivery of Stella automatics the day they were available, and within a couple weeks one had failed tail and brake lights (due to shoddy wiring) and the other was having starting issues... due to shoddy wiring.

I know a great many Stella owners, mostly 2-stroke, but a few with the 4-stroke manual and the two I mentioned with new automatic models. All of us have had problems, though to varying degrees.

My opinion: my 2-stroke Stella is a blast to ride. I love it - the sound, the smell, shifting, the lightning-fast handling. But it is not reliable enough to be a daily rider (I've got a Yamaha for that now). While the newer ones are better, if you depend on your scooter to get to work every day, rain or shine, and expect working lights and turn signals the whole time, don't buy a Stella. If you're buying a scooter as a hobby, or something to tinker with (there's a huge aftermarket for the 2-strokes, since so many Vespa parts are compatible), the Stella is just fine.

So, personally, I don't the appeal of the 4-strokes and especially not the automatics - they lose the character of the 2-stroke but don't add enough quality to make it worth it. Objectively, they are worse scooters than any Japanese or Taiwanese bike.

(An aside: PGO, maker of Genuine's other scooters and one of the world's bigger scooter producers, also started out making Vespas)
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #14
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
The Stellas are sold all over the world under a different name that escapes me at the moment.
LML 'Star' in Europe.
FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #15
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Thanks!
If you're able to confirm that the "Genuine" Stella is a re badged LML scooter, then the quality should be fine. As Seraph has already mentioned, LML used to build the Vespa PX for Piaggio in India. I can't vouch for its resale value though.
gaijinrider is offline   Reply With Quote