Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #16
guzziknight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
We have a Genuine Buddy Blackjack. My wife loves. She keeps saying she wants a bigger scooter, then says she doesn't want to sell the Buddy. Great little scooter and lot's of fun to ride. Great value as well. Plenty of used Buddys around to buy.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
2tonegator
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Someday I would like to get a Stella. Been a fan for years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
2tonegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,507
Was it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I don't know much about the 4 stroke, but I have owned a 2009 2 stroke for the past 4 1/2 years and love it. You will hear how poorly made they are, and to get a real Vespa. I have no doubt they are not Vespa quality (and I mean vintage Vespa quality) but they are not nearly as bad as many seem to think. They are IDENTICAL to real Vespas in almost every way, and virtually any vintage Vespa part will fit them, including real Vespa engines and engine parts. Many vintage Vespas around here actually have Indian made LML engines in them.

Since you have had a Honda scooter, the Stella is exactly the opposite. They are the same as a vintage scooter. Very rough and unrefined. They squeak and rattle, and have manual clutch and clunky 4 speed transmission.

If you are talking about the new CVT Stella, those are a completely different machine. The frame/body is probably the same, but I can't imagine a 4 stroke CVT Stella being nearly as much fun to ride as a 2 stroke manual.

I like the Stella so much that I bought a second Indian made bike, a 2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500.

JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #19
SAM7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Stellas look great but I've heard nothing but horrible things about them. They're like Urals of the scooter world... Stella have its charms like a 2 Stroke motor, twist gear shifter, kick starter and a spare wheel! But its poor build quality and high price tag (close to $3,600 if my memory serves me right) doesn't justify the purchase... Unfortunately, its the ONLY scooter available with a manual shifter (much like Ural is the only side car manufacturer)... For a little more cash, one could get a Suzuki TU250X. Bigger motor, fuel injected and lets not forget... Its JAPANESE. Or alternatively, look into SYM Symba (its a Honda Cub clone, but a pretty solid one) and SYM Wolf Classic... Peace.
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #20
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
I'm not a big Stella fan either, but in fairness, I'd like to note that while some of their problems are well known (crankshafts on the early models, cheap rubber trim, etc) two Stellas just finished the grueling Scooter Cannonball this past week: http://scootercannonball.com/. I'm sure they required their fair share of work, but 3500 miles flat out for 10 days kills a lot of good scooters. Those guys made it from Alaska through the mountains and to New Orleans.

An impressive feat for any 150cc scooter. Genuine has a new scooter that has just started arriving in dealers- Hooligan 170i. One of the guys here started a thread and just got one a couple days ago, but it arrived the day before he left on vacation so keep an eye out for updates on that.

Good luck with your search.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Dibber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Stella's are made by LML in India. All other scooters are made by PGO in Taiwan who also made Vespa parts in the past. These are all high quality scooters. My Buddy 125 is coming on 14,000 mile with no troubles. You can't go wrong buying a rebadged PGO if you ask me.
Dibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #22
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Nice Stella JerryH.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #23
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
(much like Ural is the only side car manufacturer)
Not true. Google is your friend.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
Stellas look great but I've heard nothing but horrible things about them. They're like Urals of the scooter world... Stella have its charms like a 2 Stroke motor, twist gear shifter, kick starter and a spare wheel! But its poor build quality and high price tag (close to $3,600 if my memory serves me right) doesn't justify the purchase... Unfortunately, its the ONLY scooter available with a manual shifter (much like Ural is the only side car manufacturer)... For a little more cash, one could get a Suzuki TU250X. Bigger motor, fuel injected and lets not forget... Its JAPANESE. Or alternatively, look into SYM Symba (its a Honda Cub clone, but a pretty solid one) and SYM Wolf Classic... Peace.
Having sold Genuine scooters in an authorized dealership Im not a fan of the Stellas (4t or 2t) for the quality-issues Ive seen with my own eyes.

The PGO built Genuines scooters are fantastic....we've owned 4 of them in our personal colelction.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
hi

I saw the new ones 4t cvt and the other one (4 speed). I do am not a wrencher and love to just keep it on the road, so maybe I will pass on this very beautiful scooter and when I get to scooter #2 I will look again.

The TU is not California legal, and they do not sell them in mexico, and here we have a real Super Cub 2014 with Fi and stuff like that

Damasovi
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I'm not a big Stella fan either, but in fairness, I'd like to note that while some of their problems are well known (crankshafts on the early models, cheap rubber trim, etc) two Stellas just finished the grueling Scooter Cannonball this past week: http://scootercannonball.com/. I'm sure they required their fair share of work, but 3500 miles flat out for 10 days kills a lot of good scooters. Those guys made it from Alaska through the mountains and to New Orleans.

An impressive feat for any 150cc scooter. Genuine has a new scooter that has just started arriving in dealers- Hooligan 170i. One of the guys here started a thread and just got one a couple days ago, but it arrived the day before he left on vacation so keep an eye out for updates on that.

Good luck with your search.
Actually the 4 stroke Stella had no issues on the cannonball. It did need new tires but then all the small wheeled scoots needed at least two rear tires and some 3. The 2 stroke Stella finished but there was a rebuild on the side of the road. Took Frank not much more than an hour so he won the pool on when the Stella would be out of the cannonball - it wasn't. He finished. 18th out of 28 while the 4 stroke was down at 25th. http://scootercannonball.com Completely different story from 2012 where only 1 of 3 Stellas finished.http://www.scootercannonball.com/res...012Updates.php
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #27
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Actually the 4 stroke Stella had no issues on the cannonball. It did need new tires but then all the small wheeled scoots needed at least two rear tires and some 3. The 2 stroke Stella finished but there was a rebuild on the side of the road. Took Frank not much more than an hour so he won the pool on when the Stella would be out of the cannonball - it wasn't. He finished. 18th out of 28 while the 4 stroke was down at 25th. http://scootercannonball.com Completely different story from 2012 where only 1 of 3 Stellas finished.http://www.scootercannonball.com/res...012Updates.php
looking at the numbers, svhess didn't seem to be doing the 'ride it like you stole it' technique...looked pretty consistant.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,507
A stock 2 stroke Stella is certainly no race bike, but they can be modified for it. My stock Stella has close to 12,000 miles on it. It had a seized top end at around 400 miles, and a stator failure about 4,000 miles ago. But otherwise it has provided me with 12,000 miles of serious fun, much more so than any CVT scooter I have owned. But I would not choose it for racing or even serious commuting. Like I remember someone here saying, you need to choose the right tool for the job.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #29
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Genuine puts out some nice scoots and lots of accessories for them and a broad dealer network.

I've always had Hondas and Yamahas, but did not hesitate to buy a Genuine.

As a shortie I also love the low profile seat options.

They are priced moderately and will run for tens of thousands of miles.

There's a reason they have their own forums and fan base...people love them!

Buddy, Hooligan, Blur, Stella, Black Cat, Roughhouse, Rattler...50, 125, 150, 170i...

A scoot for every need and desire!
2010 Honda Elite 110
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #30
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterDogMom View Post
Genuine puts out some nice scoots and lots of accessories for them and a broad dealer network.

I've always had Hondas and Yamahas, but did not hesitate to buy a Genuine.

As a shortie I also love the low profile seat options.

They are priced moderately and will run for tens of thousands of miles.

There's a reason they have their own forums and fan base...people love them!

Buddy, Hooligan, Blur, Stella, Black Cat, Roughhouse, Rattler...50, 125, 150, 170i...

A scoot for every need and desire!
I agree and disagree. People love the Buddy and Stella.
Rattler/Roughouse never sold well and the blur is near unicorn like. Never see one. Jury out on how the Hooligan will sell.

The one thing I don't care for is that their dealers are to often with a Vespa dealer with limited stock. Few stand alone. That, in my experience, led to higher service fees and they also were pushing Vespas first.

Other than that like I said Stella and Buddy are loved ,the other models have not done well.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote