Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
herman7196 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
1987 ch150 power loss & return... skipping? popping?

I've read up on this issue I'm having with my 3600 mile, 1987 ch150 and found that the cdi can go bad.

So, I bought a new one on ebay (chinese clone for around $10 shipped). I put it in and the scooter still goes into these phantom and very random power losses where the engine cuts out and seems to run at 1/2 power.

Eventually & and also very randomly, it'll come back to full power. Sometimes it'll stay at 1/2 power for the entire 2-3 mile inner city ride. Other times it'll stutter for 3-10 seconds and come right back to full power. Other times it';; feel like it's threatening to go into the 1/2 power mode but it never does.

It sounds and feels like an ignition issue.

I say this because it feels & sounds as if while riding, I've shut the kill switch off while keeping the throttle open... like a backwards, light popping but the engine still has 1/2 power and runs.

I have lost some top end. I used to be able to jump on the highway and run up to 60mph pretty easy but now I'm struggling to hit 55mph.

I removed the carb and cleaned it. It's fine. I currently have no air filter on it. The issue did still happen when I had a K&N pod filter on it. I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with air filtration. I also adjusted the valves.

The only thing I haven't checked it the fuel filter and that's because I changed it 2 years ago. The fuel tank has been por 15'ed so it's clean inside. The gas is fresh and new.

I'm at a loss.
herman7196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Have you checked for an air/ exhaust leak?
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Chec k for cracked intake manifold or pinhole or holes in throttle carb slide diaphragm.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
herman7196 OP
Adventurer

The way the problem happens... randomly and infrequently... I don't think its an air or exhaust leak but I will look it over closer for those things.

If there was a crack allowing an air or exhaust leak, I'd think it would always be leaking... not leaking off and on, randomly?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman7196 View Post
It sounds and feels like an ignition issue.
Might try running the engine in darkness and look for any electrical arcing.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Won't run right without an air filter. Put on a clean Honda OEM paper filter. Throw out the Chinese CDI. Sounds like a piece of junk is intermittently plugging the main jet or some other part of the carb. Remove, disassemble, soak in 49-state Berryman B-12 Chemtool or other decent carb cleaner overnight. Blow it out with high pressure air. That Gumout with a straw doesn't work. As others mentioned carefully examine the rubber insulator boot between the carburetor and cylinder head.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
herman7196 OP
Adventurer

thanks for the advice guys