User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
SevenFifty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Question Multistrada 1200S, What next?

I have a 2012 Multistrada 1200S Touring, I'm kind of happy with it but the brittle build quality worries me, and now lately everytime I jump on it I'm thinking, what's next, so far on my 24000 km, I've had the gaugecluster changed due to wateringress @ 12k, then the handsfree key lock unit went (changed @ 22k) together with the red button, then the heated handlebars stopped working (seems like a new gaugecluster again), both my fork legs are leaking, they and the heated handlebars are being fixed now on the 24000km service, I have extended warranty, but still it's 300km to the recommend dealer, and other Ducati people I know swear to this dealer and don't like the ones closer to where we live, so now I'm considering jumping the ship and look else where, I've tested a few others, the Triumph Tiger Explorer, a bit dull, but shaft drive and cruise control is a plus, KTM 1190 Adventure, fantastic bike, but chain, and quality, I don't know feels like Ducati, I'm considering the Yamaha s10, but it's seems even more dull then the Tiger, the GS sound like a bottom less money pit, I don't know what to get, I would like to have the emotions of the Ducati with shaft drive and japanese build quality, any good ideas?
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Dagny_Taggart
John Galt - 2012

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFifty View Post
I have a 2012 Multistrada 1200S Touring, I'm kind of happy with it but the brittle build quality worries me, and now lately everytime I jump on it I'm thinking, what's next, so far on my 24000 km, I've had the gaugecluster changed due to wateringress @ 12k, then the handsfree key lock unit went (changed @ 22k) together with the red button, then the heated handlebars stopped working (seems like a new gaugecluster again), both my fork legs are leaking, they and the heated handlebars are being fixed now on the 24000km service, I have extended warranty, but still it's 300km to the recommend dealer, and other Ducati people I know swear to this dealer and don't like the ones closer to where we live, so now I'm considering jumping the ship and look else where, I've tested a few others, the Triumph Tiger Explorer, a bit dull, but shaft drive and cruise control is a plus, KTM 1190 Adventure, fantastic bike, but chain, and quality, I don't know feels like Ducati, I'm considering the Yamaha s10, but it's seems even more dull then the Tiger, the GS sound like a bottom less money pit, I don't know what to get, I would like to have the emotions of the Ducati with shaft drive and japanese build quality, any good ideas?
Get the S-10 as your steady dependable traveling companion. Then get a Hypermotard or a S1000R as a jalapeño spicy dish for occasional consumption.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 143
Aprilia

Try a new Caponord 1200.
You just might like it.

I got one a couple weeks ago.
Still in love.
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
ishmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Test ride this;

HONDA CROSSTOURER 1200cc, V4 shaft-drive.
ishmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 AM   #5
SevenFifty OP
Adventurer

I'm thinking about the crosstourer, seems like a nice package, I don't know if dull is the right word for the Tiger, I liked it, but it felt maybe more sedate in corners, it runs good dough, and it nice to have the triple when you are driving in the city, runs like a train in 4th in 50km/t while the ducati doesn't like city cruising...

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Go for the Crosstourer. Ace machine.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFifty View Post
I don't know what to get, I would like to have the emotions of the Ducati with shaft drive and japanese build quality, any good ideas?
Guzzi Stelvio NTX- More GSA than Duc, but there are a little loyal happy group of us...who stop every 2nd fuel up.

KTM1190- I don't buy 1st year bikes until all the problems are sorted. The 990 I have is pretty dang fun and it's no 1190. Light like the duc. Don't fear the chain.

S10- enjoy a lifetime of fairly trouble free miles. May not get your blood flowing

Tri Exp- big ol' triple. What's not to like?

You have the rocket of 'ADV' bikes. It's going to be hard to replace.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Bryster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh

Crosstourer +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Go for the Crosstourer. Ace machine.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
SevenFifty OP
Adventurer

Pissed

I was at the Triumph dealer again today to get a price quote, or actually a price joke, he would wouldn't even offer a half decent price, he meant that my bike was worth half of the new price tag, and when you look at what that dealer want for a two year old Triumph, the sure carry there value about the same as gold.... So he could sit there with his Tiger, I'm not buying it, it's an insult to come up with such a bad offer, I would have preferred that he said that he had to small of a margin to do a trade, and I would have accepted that, but now he has lost a customer, I'm not buying anything there anymore....
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Based on what you say youre looking for in a bike it sounds like you should try the guzzi ntx. If you have a good guzzi dealer close enough, it could be the perfect fit for u.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I love the multistrada. Did a long test ride on one, and always wanted one. But what you describe is exactly what I was afraid off. Of course anyone will marvel at this beautiful passionate motorcycle on a test ride. But afterwards you give the keys back to the dealer and that is that. Ownership is a wholly different thing altogether.

That being said, some guys here in the multistrada thread are very lucky and had never had anything happen to their motorcycle. But imagine having to count on that, I'm not wanting to play that lottery for more than 20000 euro

And for me, once the gremlins start, I can never fully enjoy a bike anymore. Even if it has the 'all clear' from the dealer, there is still a combination of a sour aftertaste, not trusting the machine and general paranoia at every usual sound coming from it. Some people manage to put those feelings behind them, and all the more power to them but I can't. Therefore, when I buy a bike, it has to have a proven track record.

Now sadly these days, all big tourers seem to have their share of nasty tech problems. If you base yourself on several forums you would never buy a big adventure again (except for the super tenere maybe)

So lets sum them up, what is out there?
Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Yamaha super tenere
triumph explorer (XC)
suzuki vstrom 1000 v2
bmw R1200GS
honda crosstourer
ducati multistrada
KTM 990 or 1190
aprilia caponord 1200

All of them either more biased to rough going adventures, or more street oriented (multistrada is an enduro by appearance only, no one wants to scratch up a 20000 euro motorcycle with expensive plastic)

It is a difficult choice, one I am facing at the very moment

All you can do is try to read up as much on all these bikes as you can, and never scrap any off your list on face value or first appearance. They might be a stronger contender than you might think. (hint: look into the stelvio...A whole lotta bike for very reasonable money and actually pretty decent)

As far as reliability goes, well you know about the multistrada. The Tiger had its fair share of problems (header issues) supposedly resolved... The KTM? Go read the KTM 1190 problems topic in 'orange section'. That will make you never even want to consider it. Cured me for sure.

At the moment i'm jonesing big time for the caponord (as the only apparent reliable euro machine). Otherwise I would more than gladly settle (wrong word, the bike is brilliant) for a crosstourer, and maybe a super tenere, but I am looking more for on road performance than off road. The super tenere is said to be bland and unexciting on road, however good it is off the paved roads. BMW and KTM are at the bottom of my list. If I would be willing to settle for a 'brittle' bike as you call it, it would have to be at least the multistrada. At least make the pay off worth the possible ownership hell.

In conclusion, sadly, sexiness and passionate seem to be inversely related to reliable and easy to maintain. I love the Euro bikes with a passion, but the rational brain says japanese is the way to go every time. American has nothing on offer that I care for at the moment (cruisers only). It just depends on how you get your kicks. A sunday afternoon blast and a couple of thousand miles a year. Or plenty of kilometres and riding above all. For me it is the latter and the Euros simply won't cut it.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Cheap Plastics

Get away from the euro-trash. I like the red asian bikes.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
So lets sum them up, what is out there?

Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Yamaha super tenere
triumph explorer (XC)
suzuki vstrom 1000 v2
bmw R1200GS
honda crosstourer
ducati multistrada
KTM 990 or 1190
aprilia caponord 1200

All of them either more biased to rough going adventures, or more street oriented (multistrada is an enduro by appearance only, no one wants to scratch up a 20000 euro motorcycle with expensive plastic)

It is a difficult choice, one I am facing at the very moment
Guzzi Stelvio NTX = What I bought after going through the same process. It has the charm and performance to keep a smile on my face. It's rugged and easy to work on. It's heavy to push around but very light on it's feet once rolling. It works better in the dirt than you'd expect. Dealers are far apart. After 15k miles I'm still in love with it, and that's after riding dang near everything else.

Yamaha super tenere = W/ECU reflash very good option if you want Japanese qualities. Decent power, good handling, heavy but well balanced

triumph explorer (XC) = Not a bad street bike but expensive and the handling didn't rock my world. I wasn't impressed with the luggage.

suzuki vstrom 1000 v2 = very interesting option, very light, great reviews, great price, should be rock solid. I enjoyed my Vee 1K

bmw R1200GS = expensive, probably great when it's going good. Too much tech for me

honda crosstourer = no comment, we don't get them here, grrrr

ducati multistrada = You know all about this one. For me, too expensive and too much unnecessary tech, but very fun on the pavement, upright sports bike. The engine opened my eyes up wide.

KTM 990 or 1190 = I liked the 1190R when I rode it, great option for the dirt hungry and handles GREAT on the road. Very powerful with good fueling and very tall. About the same power as the Multi but a little more controllable. I didn't like the handling of the std 1190.

aprilia caponord 1200 = Just rode that one last weekend. Nice bike, very comfy, great torque and smoothness. LOVED the active suspension. The front end didn't feel quite as planted as I'd like, not crazy about 17" front on a ADV style bike. The luggage is very street bike style and not sure about capacity.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post

At the moment i'm jonesing big time for the caponord (as the only apparent reliable euro machine).
I think you are the first person to ever describe an Aprilia as the reliable choice! Usually, it is the passionate choice. Since the Capo is brand new, you have no basis to say it will be reliable. I suspect that the active suspension on the Capo will be problematic and service will be a disaster, given Aprilia's history.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 03:59 PM Reason: Changed wording
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #15
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Forgetting the Versys Mil, a street adventure. Not the best suspension maybe, but beats any bike from the list in terms of comfort. At least for me. Very decent agility too. If only Kawa did a right facelift.