User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
OzRogue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
650 V-Strom and wind buffeting issue.

Hello all, about five years ago I bought a second hand 650 V-Strom now to say these bikes are fantastic would be a understatement they are just that good, BUT they do have a issue which caused me to sell mine and I know many others have done the same THE HEAD BUFFETING ISSUE.

Ok I tried everything to fix mine different screens, different screen position, I tried everything to stop it but in the end it beat me and the bike was sold.

Move forward to today I found a second hand late model 650 V-Strom 2012/2013 model at a good price with a few added extra's, I am yet to test ride it hopefully early next week.

Now the latest model has the new and suppose to be better standard screen from Suzuki, my question is do the 650 V-Strom still have the head buffeting issue on the late model bikes, has this issue been fixed or is Suzuki just laying down a smoke screen saying there is no head buffeting anymore on there newer models cheers.
OzRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I'm 6'2" and get small buffering when a larger car/SUV gets in from of me on the highway. But other wise with the windshield all the way up, I don't really get any. When sitting upright it seems the air hits the top of my helmet. I have done a few 500 miles days on the slab and havnt noticed anything bad.
wvtaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
DaveH250
Adventurer

Yes they do, I changed out the stock screen on my 13 for a Givi air flow and it took care most of the head shake.

DRD
DaveH250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH250 View Post
Yes they do, I changed out the stock screen on my 13 for a Givi air flow and it took care most of the head shake.

DRD
Yep I got the 22" givi. Works great on stock mounts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Whether or not you have buffeting depends on the mods on your bike. If you have stock handlebars in the stock location then you should be fine with an aftermarket screen. However, if you get risers or taller handlebars because u want to sit more upright, you will get buffeting even with an aftermarket screen. I think the footpeg lowering kit might also have an impact, because it puts your knee lower and allows more updraft wind to come up. Im pretty sure with pegs in the stock location I noticed less buffeting, but also less comfort.

With atv high bars, 2in footpeg lowering kit and givi af3101 I get tons of buffetting on my '12 dl650. Im gonna go back to stock bars, as that seemed to have the least buffetting. The af 3101 screen is great with the stock bars.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
got the af3101 givi and buffeted was reduced 85%, when it's hot it's on the lowest setting and raise it up when chillier. Last thing to do to remove the last 15% is mirror risers, they are the worst. I've heard to switch sides, move the right to the left, etc., but haven't tried yet.

http://www.adventuretech.biz/dl650-2012-and-newer.html
Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
OzRogue OP
Adventurer

Yep it's sad to see from the replies here and I also on a couple of V-Strom forums I visited today that wind buffeting is still a issue even on the new models, so I can't see another 650 V-Strom in my future, I couldn't get it fixed the first time and I am not willing to chance it a second time it just costs me to much money, shame really great bike but just bad engineering from Suzuki with these screen issue's.
OzRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Andrew011
Tourist

Oddometer: 31
I reduced 85% of buffeting (stock windshield) by placing 2x2 rubber rings under the two LOWER screws holding the screen. This did nothing but changed the ANGLE of the shield. The buffeting is still there but very, very much reduced. It saved me money since I planned to put the Givi windshield, but now I don't need to.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #9
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRogue View Post
Hello all, about five years ago I bought a second hand 650 V-Strom now to say these bikes are fantastic would be a understatement they are just that good, BUT they do have a issue which caused me to sell mine and I know many others have done the same THE HEAD BUFFETING ISSUE.

Ok I tried everything to fix mine different screens, different screen position, I tried everything to stop it but in the end it beat me and the bike was sold.

Move forward to today I found a second hand late model 650 V-Strom 2012/2013 model at a good price with a few added extra's, I am yet to test ride it hopefully early next week.

Now the latest model has the new and suppose to be better standard screen from Suzuki, my question is do the 650 V-Strom still have the head buffeting issue on the late model bikes, has this issue been fixed or is Suzuki just laying down a smoke screen saying there is no head buffeting anymore on there newer models cheers.
Not buffeting, though I cured that on my K6 anyway. Wind noise I can live without , the Givi screen largely eliminated wind noise as well for me.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,812
Keep in mind, that two riders could be exactly the same height, but the other has a longer back, and shorter legs, or v.v., means they may have their helmets 1 or 2 inches higher or lower than the other, so the aerodynamics, where their heads are, is not the same. They could also have different helmets, and it will affect things. They could ride different types of roads, at very different average speeds, they may have modified their bikes aerodynamics, ergonomics & seating position in many ways, and finally, they may also just simply experience the whole thing very differently. It΄s not an exact science.

So there are a huge number of factors at play, and as with anything involving aerodynamics, just tiny changes can affect everything. If you can find out from an internet forum, how YOU will experience buffeting on a certain bike model, without actually riding that bike yourself, then you must really be an expert.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW

Pecha72 screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 05:43 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Very well said, Pecha.
The only way to know for sure is to ride one yourself. I'm in the market for a 2012+ Strom myself, but if there's buffeting when I test ride one, it's gonna get marked off my list. Wind noise and full-on wind blast is one thing.....but buffeting is intolerable to me.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
concensus is the OEM w/s is crap ....

my solution is the Givi w/s in 2nd lowest setting, a 90% solution.

on longer trips, be sure to wear ear plugs
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
robberst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I have a 2004 dl650.

I purchased the madstad bracket, but ultimately I got rid of the buffeting with a different helmet.

I started out with a cheap fulmer helmet.....bad buffeting
Then a shoei tz-1......bad buffeting
Bell Sprint......buffeting gone
Now a Bell Apex....no buffeting.
I'm about due for a new helmet now and don't know what to get....

the only time it is an issue now is with a REALLY strong crosswind.
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
better mirrors (ktm) that are lower, out of the way and more aero. wind hit stock wide mirrors and deflects some back to rider. mirror extender would also help if you want to keep stock mirrors. i hated the look of the stock mirrors too. http://www.adventuretech.biz/mirror-extenders.html
madstad bracket
givi shield (tilted back with bracket till it was smooth air)

made my strom smooth sailing as far as wind up at the top.

there is still air that comes up from the sides of the fairing and can blow up into your jacket & helmet. some make homemade side shields. surprised no one to this day has not produced anything commercial.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
honsfun
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I had eliminated all buffeting by using madstad and Givi. Good up to 75mph. Recently sold the wee and have a stock shield with laminar touring lip which I will be listing for sale.
honsfun is offline   Reply With Quote