Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,418
it's all relative. It depends on so many factors, there is no way Suzuki can "fix it" and make it work for everyone. What works for you may suck for me. We are different heights, inseams, weights. We have different helmets. Heck it even varies day to day for the same rider depending on weather and traffic conditions.

Chances are, you will need to make changes to ANY bike to get it to fit you. A different seat, different windshield, different handlebar. It's just part of it.

I have a '13 DL650 Adventure. I am 5'9", 29" inseam. I wear a Shoei RF1100. I thought the stock screen was pretty good, but could be improved. I tried the Givi AirFlow and that worked well on my '12 model. Now I am running a Madstad with a sport screen, and I like it too. I also have a set of air deflectors, forgot what they are called. I have put grip buddies on it. My Airhawk should be waiting on me when I get home, and depending on how that works out, I may lower the pegs. I think with a few more tweaks this will be a seriously comfortable bike, and I intend to spend a lot of time on it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #17
Papadoc
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRogue View Post
Yep it's sad to see from the replies here and I also on a couple of V-Strom forums I visited today that wind buffeting is still a issue even on the new models, so I can't see another 650 V-Strom in my future, I couldn't get it fixed the first time and I am not willing to chance it a second time it just costs me to much money, shame really great bike but just bad engineering from Suzuki with these screen issue's.
I have '09 dl650, new to me. 5'10" 29" inseam.
Stock windshield was wery bad, strong buffeting.

MRA X-creen Touring and bar end mirrors resolved the problem completely.
Highly recommended !

Papadoc screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 03:04 PM
Papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #18
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
Me:
5'8" tall 28" inseam full face helmet (currently Shoei RF1100)
My biggest issue was with noise more then buffeting, but buffeting was still there.

My DLs
2004, madstad with stock screen, Suzuki Gel seat, round mirrors, knuckle guards. XR650L bars on 1.75 tall risers
I adjusted the madstad to have the top of the screen closer to me, so in other-words layed back.

2012 Givi Airflow, knuckle guards, same bar set up. Low profile mirrors.(which replace some round ones)

The stock first gen DL was really bad. I nearly sold the bike because it was so bad but after messing around with it I got it to the point that it was livable.

The 12 was much better from the get go, but after about a year a 10K miles I started to really dislike it. Then I had to give the round mirrors back, I had put them on shortly after getting the bike. And boyhowdy it was so noisy that after two blocks I turned around and returned home. Then I put the low profile mirrors on

Cycle Gear sells them, they were on sale for around $35 bucks.
These mirrors dropped the noise and buffeting tremendously. Really it was like a whole different bike.
Then I got the Airflow...

And again it was totally different. I can hear changes in the pavement now, it's so much quieter that I can even hear my tinnitus.
There are some strange handling issues when riding fast into a slight offset, strong headwind
The bike feels like it's pulsing.
And sometimes there is a slight "luffing" sound, like that of a flag or sail in moderate wind

I normally ride with ear plugs in every time I ride, but just today I rode a mile to get some lunch and I left the plugs out and for the first time even as low as 35mph it was not uncomfortably loud to be on the bike.

In fact before the new screen and mirrors I had taken to always wearing a neck scarf of some kind, and I had filled all the holes in the helmet with earplugs to lessen the noise. Also the chin curtain was in place

I've since pulled all the plugs and curtain out and only ride with something covering my neck for comfort.

I didn't go with a madstad this time because of the lack of adjustment and that I also had to buy a new screen or use the touring screen I had left over from my attempts to make the 04 a decent bike.

I'm very happy with my Airflow, it was a well made screen (Made in Italy) with decent directions and good hardware.
I do with the spacers had a little nicer finish on them, they are steel and it looks like it's a cheap parkerized or black oxide finish, that will not last very long where I live.
The screens also came festooned with a myriad of stickers, thankfully many of them were just the static cling style and removed with out any fuss.

In the end, I've very happy with the windscreen set up on my bike, for me.
I would buy the bike and windscreen again. and I'm going to buy different mirrors for my 2004 DL in hopes that it also helps that bike be quieter.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 807
I am not sure the wind buffeting and helmet buffeting was ever so bad that I thought about selling it.

I guess I decided to improve the comfort on my Vee by going to a shorty sports screen from Paul guy with madstadt brackets. I also wear ear plugs when I ride or my ER6 if listening to music.

I don't think about it anymore. If you are experiencing that much turbulence where you couldn't ride anymore. You may want to check your helmet/shield setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
bubbaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
14 Weestrom is my first bike, so I dont know how useful I will be here. My first ride on it, back from the bike shop about 50 miles away was part interstate, 75mph, everyone goes 80+. I never imagined the wind would effect the bike that much, but it was mostly crosswinds. I now have just under 600 miles, about to take it back down for the first service, and the only time the headwinds effect me are around 70-75mph+. I am 5'10" with 32" inseam and the stock windshield is in the middle setting. I am going to raise it up to the highest soon and try that out, but I am convinced the Givi Airflow will fix most, if not all the headwind problems for me. Even if it only makes it slightly better, it will be good enough for me.

I have a cheap HJC helmet that gets blown around with the crosswinds, and it is quite noisy. I dont so much mind the sound of the wind while riding, but if its a long ride on the highway, ill put my cheap headphones in and play music or audiobook and it fixes it.

I hope you find a fix for the problem, seems like everyone has a different solution, and im to poor to try them all so ill do the most common fix with the Givi, and later down the road maybe add a madstad in.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #21
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
A mate of mine has the new 650 Wee and has tried a number of aftermarket screens on it without any real improvements.

I've ridden the bike on several occassions with each different screen and can't wait to get off the bike. The buffeting ruins an otherwise nice bike and he's just about had enough of it - bike will be for sale soon I think.

Every rider/helmet combo seems to get different results so you need to have a decent test ride prior to purchase.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #22
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,418
I think some people are just more "persnickity" than others. This is my 3rd V-Strom - 09 DL1k, 12 DL650A, 13 DL650A - buffeting was worse on the 09 than either of the newer bikes, but never bad enough to make me consider selling the bike. The Stroms have a lot of good things going for them.

When I had my old '99 C10, some folks on the COG forum complained about "buzziness", as well as buffeting. The buzziness never bothered me, and a Cee Bailey's screen fixed the buffeting.

Ride Ride Ride!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #23
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think some people are just more "persnickity" than others. This is my 3rd V-Strom - 09 DL1k, 12 DL650A, 13 DL650A - buffeting was worse on the 09 than either of the newer bikes, but never bad enough to make me consider selling the bike. The Stroms have a lot of good things going for them.

When I had my old '99 C10, some folks on the COG forum complained about "buzziness", as well as buffeting. The buzziness never bothered me, and a Cee Bailey's screen fixed the buffeting.

Ride Ride Ride!

+1. coming off a KLR the vstrom is much better at wind protection. Raised the stock screen to its highest setting and its fine for me. Too many people who think an ADV bike should be like a touring bike with full fairing. If wind buffeting is that big a problem for you look at a touring bike, you will be happy. Ive ridden BMWs and Triumphs and any cross wind will give you some buffeting..
Old 06-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #24
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

It's interesting how varied different riders experience of the same bike can be.

I actually prefer a naked bike even for full days at highway speed. What I don't like is riding along with my head bobbing from side to side. I really wanted to like the Wee, but thats a deal breaker for me. That said, some of the above comments indicate that the mirrors may be a big contributor, so might try removing them altogether to see the effect. Removal of the handguards was already tested too.

DR Steve screwed with this post 06-20-2014 at 04:22 PM
DR Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
It's interesting how varied different riders experince of the same bike can be.

I actually prefer a naked bike even for full days at highway speed. What I don't like is riding along with my head bobbing from side to side. I really wanted to like the Wee, but thats a deal breaker for me. That said, some of the above comments indicate that the mirrors may be a big contributor, so might try removing them altogether to see the effect. Removal of the handguards was already tested too.
+1. Wind blast is one thing, but head-bobbing buffeting is a PIA.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
For a bike that is arguably the best bang for your buck, I don't understand crossing the bike off the list/selling it because of buffeting. The fixes have been well documented and can be addressed for $300 tops, some just madstand, which for an amazing bike under $10K out the door with 0% interest currently is peanuts.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #27
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
For a bike that is arguably the best bang for your buck, I don't understand crossing the bike off the list/selling it because of buffeting. The fixes have been well documented and can be addressed for $300 tops, some just madstand, which for an amazing bike under $10K out the door with 0% interest currently is peanuts.
I agree it's a great value bike but the documented fixes don't work for everyone. The bike I mention above has had way more than $300 thrown at the issue and it's still not much better. As mentioned above we will try removing the mirrors - hopefully some different mirrors may be the fix for this bike.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Madstad bracket is the solution as the angle & height of the screen can be fine tuned for each individuals exacts needs. Slight changes in angle produce very noticeably differences, good or bad.

In addition to using Givi or Madstad shields (Aeroflow) you can also add a laminar lip or MRA top vario spoiler to these shields to create very smooth air at your helmet. At one point Madstad offered their shield with a MRA vario spoiler http://www.twistedthrottle.com/brand...e-windshields/ attached already. Mark called it the Vstrom solution.

Your helmet might be the problem too.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 06-20-2014 at 05:25 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Steve View Post
I agree it's a great value bike but the documented fixes don't work for everyone. The bike I mention above has had way more than $300 thrown at the issue and it's still not much better. As mentioned above we will try removing the mirrors - hopefully some different mirrors may be the fix for this bike.
everyone has gotten better mirrors, madstad bracket, givi/madstad screen and maybe a top wind deflector AND then spent time adjusting the angle and height has reported it fixed the problem. not sure why you are coming up short??? maybe it's your helmet too?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 639
Yup.

Madstad, round Ducati mirrors= no buffeting. It did take me a LOT of adjustments to dial in the Madstad.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote