Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,475
Pelican 1550 and Pelican 1600 on a SINGLE cargo plate

1. Current Configuration:
I currently have a Caribou Cases 1550 on my 2006 R1200GS.

http://cariboucases.com/Rear-Top-Cas...se-System.html

(As a matter of fact...that's MY bike shown).

The Pelican 1550 case is a nice addition to my BMW OEM Aluminum panniers...and come with the following specs:
Weight
10.58 lbs. - Empty
11.90 lbs. - With Foam
Exterior Dimensions
20.62" x 16.87" x 8.12" (L x W x H)
Interior Dimensions
18.43" x 14.00" x 7.62" (L x W x H)

Do the calculations and you'll see that those Interior Dimension produce 1966 cubic inches...or about 32.2 cu LITERS.

2. I want to have more space in my TOP CASE.

I had the opportunity to pick up a NEW Pelican 1600 from a fellow inmate in the Vendors section who had excess cases from his company.
Source: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=pelican+1600

Here are the specs for the the 1600:
Weight
13 lbs. - Empty
14.11 lbs. - With Foam
Exterior Dimensions
24.25" x 19.43" x 8.68" (L x W x H)
Interior Dimensions
21.43" x 16.50" x 7.87" (L x W x H)

Doing the same calculations with the 1600 you get 2782 cubic inches or 45.5 cu LITERS...or 41% MORE than the 1550.

3. More volume...but yikes...am I going to have to buy ANOTHER cargo plate for it?

After carefully examining the 1550 Cargo Plate...I discovered that I could MOVE the 4 original Caribou mounting pucks to another pre-drilled location on the same plate....and USE BOTH CASES with the same plate.

Here's a picture of the 1550 plate with the pucks MOVED to their new locations. The arrows on the BLUE tape indicate their original locations.
Update: See Post #4 for a Puck Mounting TIP.

Here's a pic of the plate mounted on the 06 GS...note plenty of clearance from the side cases.

And this gives you and idea of how the 1550 fits...mounted to the plate.

It pretty much matches up with the OEM cases for positioning toward the rear of the bike.

And...there's room left ahead of the case for the Rider...wearing a normal riding jacket the case actually provides a nice back rest enroute.

I also have a 1-Gallon Rotopax mounted on the opposite side from the muffler.

Note how the TOP of the RotoPax 1-gallon is flush with the top of the 1550 making a nice platform for tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Here's the 1600 mounted...USING THE SAME plate. Both use the Caribou quarter turn fasteners.

While the 1600 extends OVER the BMW OEM panniers...there is still clearance above the top of the lids...which can be easily removed. !" spacers are used to lift the mounting plate off the plastic housing.

Here's a side view of the 1600 over the aluminum panniers.

After carefully deciding WHERE to mount the 1600 on the plate...I decided to LEAVE my back rest!
Note that there's about the same amount of space behind the riders seat.

The case extends a little further rearward...but still short of the extremity of the tail light.

Another pics of the space behind the rider's seat.

Case CAME with foam for medical equipment...I ripped out everything but the top foam.

Since the 1600 has 4 LATCHES (2 on the sides)...I can't exactly replicate how I carried my 1-Gallon RotoPax with the 1600.

However, I discovered this position might do just as well.

4. Summary.

With a little planning I was able to USE 1 mounting plate to accommodate 2 different Pelican cases...that provide different amounts of carrying capacity.

Overall...a good 3 hour project.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:35 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
With the 1600 how do you open your existing panniers?

Nice report...thank you. Couple questions. First...how do you get easy access to your panniers with either box on. I am planning on Jessie Safaris (for the size, fit on the Super Tenere and build quality). Those lids are permanently hinged so I think the top box would need to be removed to open...a royal pain I think.

Also...I like this setup but I guess there is simply no way to store 1 or 2 Shoei Multitecs inside. I don't think they will fit in the 1600 by looking at pics.

One way to make a durable setup would be to use 3 1600s...as they open sideways as panniers there would be no interference. At 45 liters x 3 that might give us the same storage (2up...S America) we need in a durable and 1/2 price setup....You are the expert...comments appreciated on these ideas.
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfin View Post
Nice report...thank you. Couple questions. First...how do you get easy access to your panniers with either box on. I am planning on Jessie Safaris (for the size, fit on the Super Tenere and build quality). Those lids are permanently hinged so 1. I think the top box would need to be removed to open...a royal pain I think.

Also...I like this setup but I guess there is simply 2. no way to store 1 or 2 Shoei Multitecs inside. I don't think they will fit in the 1600 by looking at pics.

One way to make a durable setup would be to 3. use 3 1600s...as they open sideways as panniers there would be no interference. At 45 liters x 3 that might give us the same storage (2up...S America) we need in a durable and 1/2 price setup....You are the expert...comments appreciated on these ideas.
Answers:
1. Yes...with Jesse's 'permanent style' hinging you have to rotate around their hinge...BUT...removing the 1600 Top Case is easily accomplished with Caribou's use of the Quarter Turn Fasteners. You'd have to make sure to use a LINER in the 1600 so you have quick access to the QTF's, as well.

2. No..you eyes are correct. No way to fit Shoei Multitec inside...too shallow. I have Neotec...same story. I just have never put/stored my helmet in a top case. Where I go...helmet goes. Never left on the bike. Too valuable.
Wish list: Pelican 1550 with more DEPTH (for helmets!). They don't make one.

3. A 3 1600 set up would provide LOTS of storage in a durable configuration and would eliminate the 'lid removal' problem.
You'd have to monitor the distance of the 'depth' (19.43") when mounting for potential road contact. You could also use slightly TALLER spacers to raise the top case if there is a potential road clearance problem.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:09 AM
Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mounting Puck Positioning TIP:

Pelican cases bottoms may be molded with OVAL (1550) or CIRCULAR (1600) 'feet'.

Caribou's mounting system pucks use an OVAL shape for their Quarter Turn Fasteners system.. see pics above of 1500.

The placement of these feet/shape on the case bottom varies by Pelican case SIZE.

To accommodate CIRCULAR and OVAL feet simultaneously...simply MOVE the pucks AWAY from the feet to an area of the case bottom that is flat. The quarter turn fasteners will still work!

I found, in my 1550 case, that Caribou had pre-drilled other mounting locations on their cargo plate that accommodate BOTH cases.

Questions?

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 08:30 AM