Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #46
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
More from Crutchlow - he can't lean the bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Anyone else have problems with the FP live streaming? I tried to watch MotoGP FP1 last night and only got intermitent feeds with constant pauses.
FP2 worked fine live for me in Western Australia. FP1 was fine in replay.

Something discussed in the FP2 commentary: Guy Coulon was taking the Assen weekend off for personal reasons and his deputy apparently rode the track with Bradley Smith, both on bicycles, prior to practice. They collided and crashed, and as I heard it the deputy broke his pelvis. Nasty, and it reminds us what an amazing job a motorcyclist's protective gear does.

Crash is running some more stuff from Crutchlow here, and motomatters covered the same thing in its roundup of yesterday. Apparently the data analysis is showing that Crutchlow uses 4-5 degrees less lean angle than the other Ducati men, but also that if he used any more he would crash.

Whereas on the Yam: “Last year [at Tech 3 Yamaha] I was one degree less than Lorenzo and one degree more than Vale in most corners."

He says it's a mystery.

Five degrees is quite a bit. He says it's not his riding style, which is a bit odd because the obvious explanation would be that he's leaning off more. I suppose another possibility is that he's hanging on tighter. Have all those crashes finally messed with his head?

BTW: Forgot to mention in my previous post that Crutchlow was also on pole here last year.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #47
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Because he's fast in practice with a soft tire?
He did beat Stoner's lap record with that time. But yeah, one lap does not a champion make.

Also had problems with the broadcast. Choppy as hell. Thought it was my connections - it almost always is, but perhaps not then.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #48
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

FP4 and Crutchlow winds up in 17th, three hundredths quicker than Abraham and Edwards. This is not looking good for his grid slot.

Update: Big effort from Crutchlow in QP1 and he's through to QP2. You could see he was working at it and the bike was all over the place.

Amazingly, he's still only one spot ahead of Abraham on the production Honda, who is just three tenths slower and a couple of tenths ahead of whiz-kid Scott Redding. Hayden obviously has wrist trouble and is the better part of a second back, in 22nd.

Moronic screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 05:32 AM
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #49
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,065
Think Marco Melandri...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
FP4 and Crutchlow winds up in 17th, three hundredths quicker than Abraham and Edwards. This is not looking good for his grid slot.

Update: Big effort from Crutchlow in QP1 and he's through to QP2. You could see he was working at it and the bike was all over the place.

Amazingly, he's still only one spot ahead of Abraham on the production Honda, who is just three tenths slower and a couple of tenths ahead of whiz-kid Scott Redding. Hayden obviously has wrist trouble and is the better part of a second back, in 22nd.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #50
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,156
Qualifying

So much for Rossi winning at Assen!

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #51
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
Rain came about 2 minutes into QP2, turned it into a lottery. Factory Yamaha were the biggest losers here, with Jlo 9th and Vale 12th and last. A Esp. on pole.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #52
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Rain came about 2 minutes into QP2, turned it into a lottery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Pedrosa
"Nobody wanted to be in front, the guy can't feel the situation. The guy behind can see how much you can push. On the 2nd lap I knew it was time, I managed to control and I'm happy with front row."
Boost for Crutchlow anyway and the race for 3rd to 5th might be interesting. I guess if its a full wet race the order could be scrambled.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #53
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Marquez knew he had to push early on, to get a decent (semi)-dry lap in. He made some pretty hairy passes on that lap, too, but it worked.

....How come Rossi, with 9 world titles, and decades of GP experience, had no clue what to do??

edit. Come to think of it, Repsol boys on the front row, Factory Yamahas nowhere - did Honda have a better idea of the exact weather situation, so were able to brief their riders prior to QP2 start?

Pecha72 screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 06:14 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #54
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Think Marco Melandri...
Well, not quite yet it appears.

He'll be fifth on the grid, second fastest Ducati and only one hundredth behind Iannone. And that's two Ducatis leading the second row.

Weirdest qualifying I can remember. Drops of rain just as they all head out for Q2. Question is will it get better or worse. They are all thinking it might get worse, and so they all head out together to get in a banker. Only problem is it doesn't get better. So they do a warm-up and they are all bunched together like it's the first lap of a race. Lorenzo and Marquez out in front. Nobody sure how much grip there is on cold tyres. Rossi is stuck mid-pack.

Marquez drops back a bit and then decides he will go for it. He passes Smith and I think Lorenzo, very aggressively - especially given the situation - underneath both in a single left-hander and pisses off. Pedrosa is going hard too. Lorenzo has wound it back a bit and Rossi can't do much because to go quick he'd either have to back way off (and lose a lap, with the rain possibly getting worse), or overtake a bunch of people, which is not the way to set a fast lap.

It looks like Marquez probably has it, except that down the back of everybody Aleix Espargaro has had the balls to give himself some space, and on that soft rear tyre he's turned in a blinder, snaffling pole with a 1.4 second gap to Marquez.

The rain gets worse and that's it. By the end of qualifying, a bunch of people are doing race practice on wets.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #55
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

" Rossi can't do much because to go quick he'd either have to back way off (and lose a lap, with the rain possibly getting worse), or overtake a bunch of people, which is not the way to set a fast lap. "

seemed to me that was exactly how Marquez set his fast lap?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #56
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
" Rossi can't do much because to go quick he'd either have to back way off (and lose a lap, with the rain possibly getting worse), or overtake a bunch of people, which is not the way to set a fast lap. "

seemed to me that was exactly how Marquez set his fast lap?
IIRC Marquez was only a few from the front, so with a couple of passes he had a clear track. Rossi would have had to get a dozen or so.

But sure. Marquez looked much more interested than Rossi in risking his neck. He must have been very close to taking out either Smith or Lorenzo or both. Seemed to commit very late.

Not sure how far back he came from. Will have to watch it again.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #57
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Okay Pecha you are quite right, Marquez actually had dropped back to behind Rossi, then overtook Rossi and two or three others and then I think went around the outside of Pedrosa and then it was I think Iannone and not Smith but Pol Espargaro who he squeezed under on entry to the left and then he got Lorenzo on exit.

Wow.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #58
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay Pecha you are quite right, Marquez actually had dropped back to behind Rossi, then overtook Rossi and two or three others and then I think went around the outside of Pedrosa and then it was I think Iannone and not Smith but Pol Espargaro who he squeezed under on entry to the left and then he got Lorenzo on exit.

Wow.
yep. And by doing this he now has three rows of riders between him & Rossi.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #59
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,215
Quote:
Marquez ...

Wow.
Imagine that.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #60
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

I understand they were all in a hurry to set a laptime before the rain... but getting bunched up like that probably helped no-one. So just drop back 10-20 seconds, until you get some clear track in front of you, would seem like a better strategy? (was that actually what A Esp. did)?