ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Austin to Banff on a Tiger 800XC

I've had a standing invite from my Canadian amigo Tony T up in Banff, Alberta to come up for a fly fishing expedition. Then I bought a Triumph Tiger 800XC back in December. No-brainer...

Gonna camp and rough it along the way. Target Departure date: July 1, 2014. 30 days to ride up west of the Rockies, fish and explore the Canadian Rockies, head back south east of the Rockies, zip over and meet my girlfriend for a few days in Spearfish SD where she grew up, and try to get lost on a few Colorado Rockies backroads on the way home.

The north route



All subject to change on my whims...

Across north Texas to Taos, Chama and Shiprock New Mexico through the Santa Fe and Carson National Forests on hwy 64. Up to Cortez Colorado and across into south Utah on a a road that follows the river west recommended by Butler maps, up to Arches National Park. I might take a day to explore Moab and Arches NP. Next is Salt Lake City where I will at least roll past that gigantic temple. Up into Idaho and the Bitterroot National Forest with a nice twisty stretch of hwy 93 I'm really looking forward to. Then to Glacier National Park MT and hopefully across Going to the Sun Road which is still mostly closed because they haven't completely plowed it yet. Cross into Canada at Chief Mountain and it's on to destination Banff!

South route:



Gonna head back through Calgary and SE through Montana. Custer National Forest, Devil's Tower in Wyoming, then some R&R in Spearfish SD where the GF is going to meet me for a couple of days. Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, then back over into Montana and south to Colorado where it might get crazy depending on how much time I have left. Trail Ridge Rd. through Rocky Mountains National Park, possibly a little off-road stint down the continental divide ride for a few hundred miles. Royal Gorge, and if there's time, hanging out with my buddy Bawb in Colorado Springs. After that it gets pretty boring heading into North Texas. Caddilac ranch, 72 ounce steak challenge (probably not really) and home through the hill country to Austin.

So here's the first big plot twist: I applied for my passport back a few months ago. The process takes 4-6 weeks normally. I should have had 2 weeks to spare. Without getting into deep detail, there was a glitch, and my passport is now MIA in the system and I may not get to cross the border! Yay.

My plan is to take off for Canada anyway, and have my GF overnight the passport to a UPS store in Montana IF it arrives after I leave, but in time for me to spend an adequate amount of time in Canada. If that doesn't happen this becomes "Austin to Glacier National Park, Montana and tooling around the American Rockies on a Triumph Tiger 800 XC."

There's a thread about the passport thing in trip planning if you really want to know more. But it's not going to get here by the time I leave, so screw it.

One cool thing I'm going to attempt, technology gods willing, is to occasionally broadcast live streaming video while riding. Benefit of having an unlimited data plan. Could be cool while riding through some twisties and stuff.

You can sign up for e-mail alerts for when I'm streaming live by creating an account at www.Ustream.tv and subscribing to my channel:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eljefeatx

Also, if you click the "like" thing on the channel page the live streams will show up on your facebook page.

I'll post updates here when I can but most of it will be after the fact.

The link in my sig is to a facebook page I set up just for this trip. Those updates will be in real time.

If you decide to ride along, hope you enjoy my trip.

And I'll take advice on things to do and see along my route if you have them.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
lamastrom
2 wheel addiction
 
lamastrom's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: minnesnowda, red river valley of the north
Oddometer: 61
Well this is interesting. Leaving Fargo on the 2nd and heading to SLC to visit for a few days then leaving on 7th and taking same route north as you to Banff! Don't know if we will cross paths but I'll be on a wee strom. Have a safe trip!!!
lamastrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy
 
JoeyBones's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, Y'all
Oddometer: 1,367
And I'm leaving Charlotte on July 3rd heading across Canada for Prince Rupert and the ferry North to Juneau. I'm on a Dark Gray R1200RT (accompanied by a guy on a Black 1150GS and a guy on a Dark Gray K16GTL) and we'll be playing around between Banff and Jasper on or about July 9th and 10th...

Fingers crossed for the Passport issue to get resolved and.... Subscribed.
__________________
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,664
I would highly recommend driving up the Icefields Parkway which is from Banff towards Jasper. Being that close and not driving it would be a mistake. Trust me. Have a Epic journey, your route is awesome.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamastrom View Post
Well this is interesting. Leaving Fargo on the 2nd and heading to SLC to visit for a few days then leaving on 7th and taking same route north as you to Banff! Don't know if we will cross paths but I'll be on a wee strom. Have a safe trip!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
And I'm leaving Charlotte on July 3rd heading across Canada for Prince Rupert and the ferry North to Juneau. I'm on a Dark Gray R1200RT (accompanied by a guy on a Black 1150GS and a guy on a Dark Gray K16GTL) and we'll be playing around between Banff and Jasper on or about July 9th and 10th...

Fingers crossed for the Passport issue to get resolved and.... Subscribed.
If you roll up behind me you'll know it's me:



I'll keep an eye out for y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
I would highly recommend driving up the Icefields Parkway which is from Banff towards Jasper. Being that close and not driving it would be a mistake. Trust me. Have a Epic journey, your route is awesome.
That's on my host's hospitality agenda. Sounds very cool.

ice.. cool... see what I did there?
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy
 
JoeyBones's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, Y'all
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
If you roll up behind me you'll know it's me:....I'll keep an eye out for y'all.
Got it. And here's the "Ride the World" sticker on the back of my Top Case in case you roll up on us...





Ride safe!

Joe
__________________
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
smbaauncg
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas tx
Oddometer: 13
I am kinda on my way back to Dallas from Banff/Jasper,I am in Provo UT tonight.
The route I took from Dallas was, day 1 to Pagosa Springs via Santa Fe and Abiquiu , Day 2 550 through Ouray and Silverton then 141 (surprisingly awesome ) ending up in Craig CO, day 3 to Red Lodge MT via Beartooth pass,
Day 4 back over beartooth thru Yellowstone to Kalispel, MT, Day 5 to Banff with enough time to do the Icefield Parkway( impressive , don't miss this area),
Day 6 Icefield parkway again then to Missoula MT, DAy 7 hwy 93 to Provo UT.
Been a but over 4,000 miles so far and it has been some great scenery and riding.I was going to ride the road to the Sun in Glacier park but a landslide has part of it closed.
Enjoy your ride there is a lot of great roads between you and Banff.

Craig
smbaauncg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Aaen
Adventurer
 
Aaen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Courtenay, BC & Calgary
Oddometer: 68
Not many know this but travel btw the US/Canada does not require a passport. You can get through with enhanced drivers license, nexus card, birth certificate/etc. You just have to prove whom you are.

Granted it is better to go with a passport but it is not required. Call up both the Canadian and Us border stations and talk to them directly to verify this. My buddy did this today and has done it numerous times over the past year.


Regards

Steve
Aaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Got it. And here's the "Ride the World" sticker on the back of my Top Case in case you roll up on us...

Ride safe!
Will do, you do the same.!
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #10
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Here's the URL for the live streaming video.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/austin2banff

If you sign up for an account and subscribe to this channel you can set it to send you e-mails or post on your facebook page when I am streaming live from the bike.

I'm going to be testing it sunday. I have to ride down to San Antonio to borrow a GoPro. I'm going to take hill country backroads. If the signal holds up it there will be a modicum of nice scenery.

If you tune in, please leave comments in the chat about video quality etc.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaen View Post
Not many know this but travel btw the US/Canada does not require a passport. You can get through with enhanced drivers license, nexus card, birth certificate/etc. You just have to prove whom you are.

Granted it is better to go with a passport but it is not required. Call up both the Canadian and Us border stations and talk to them directly to verify this. My buddy did this today and has done it numerous times over the past year.


Regards

Steve
Thank you, but Texas doesn't offer the EDL, and the State Department still has my birth certificate somewhere in the system. A call to the USBP station where I plan to cross confirmed that I will need a passport to re-enter, unless I want to be delayed and do mountains of paperwork, and there were no guarantees at that point until it happens and they can assess what they have to work with.

The whole passport deal is kind of a dead horse at this point. I'd rather not have this ride report be a discussion about it. I started a thread in trip planning where it was discussed, and still can be.

ElJefeATX screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 10:57 PM
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #12
bluestar
misfit
 
bluestar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: N.E. Louisiana
Oddometer: 705
I'm in. Should be a great trip even if you don't make it across the border.
__________________
2008 Yamaha Road Star
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaauncg View Post
I am kinda on my way back to Dallas from Banff/Jasper,I am in Provo UT tonight.
The route I took from Dallas was, day 1 to Pagosa Springs via Santa Fe and Abiquiu , Day 2 550 through Ouray and Silverton then 141 (surprisingly awesome ) ending up in Craig CO, day 3 to Red Lodge MT via Beartooth pass,
Day 4 back over beartooth thru Yellowstone to Kalispel, MT, Day 5 to Banff with enough time to do the Icefield Parkway( impressive , don't miss this area),
Day 6 Icefield parkway again then to Missoula MT, DAy 7 hwy 93 to Provo UT.
Been a but over 4,000 miles so far and it has been some great scenery and riding.I was going to ride the road to the Sun in Glacier park but a landslide has part of it closed.
Enjoy your ride there is a lot of great roads between you and Banff.

Craig
I'm eying that area of Colorado to tool around in for a few days as a backup plan if I don't get the passport. If not on this trip, a Colorado-intensive trip will probably be in my near future.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
ElJefeATX OP
OMGban!!!
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 2,036
Passport allegedly in transit. Should be here today. Was going to be leaving in a few hours but I'm going to delay a day to (hopefully) get the passport.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #15
NuMexCaTex
Adventurer
 
NuMexCaTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: -ish
Oddometer: 33
sweet

El JefeATX

Ifn your still in Missoula, check out tamarack brew co.

On your way south CO 92 is worth the detour.

Cheers mate!
__________________
superglue and duck-tape are viable alternatives to health insurance, muchacho
NuMexCaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014