Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
redhandmoto OP

Oddometer: 579
Well. Somehow, this ain't right.

No criticism of mods or anybody else, ok?

And yes, I know that this is a privately-owned enterprise, that the rules are sacrosanct, and the whole deal is none of my business, and ditto that sometimes there are people who rub us the wrong way, maybe for little reason or maybe even just because that's the way it is. God knows I myself encounter plenty of folks on websites whose families and friends find them saintly that I can't stand, and doubtless that goes vice-versa. That's what the "ignore" function is for.

But there's this guy, see, who doesn't curse, doesn't insult, doesn't bait, doesn't condescend, doesn't brag, or lie or embroider, who is - by his lights - consistently modest and generous and helpful in his attitudes and advice (even that with which we may not agree), who shares all the core values and enthusiasms of small-scale riding, who acknowledges being a bit of a Luddite when it comes to 'modern' technology (and bears the hits he takes for it with good grace), and here his citizenship has been revoked.

For occasional irrelevancy, for not staying on point, for illogical interruptions, for talking about cats when dogs are on the table, for messing up the orderly arrangement of doilies on the tea cart, for bringing a knife to a gunfight.

So what?

Have the diffuse pressures of modern life become so great that even minor irritants must trigger disenfranchisement?

Granted, I'm only thinking about this guy and his sere life and what this rejection is in it, and not the commonweal. And yeah, this ain't a democracy, and there is no referendum, and I don't have a vote. But the penalty don't fit the crime. Nobody asked for my opinion, but here it is.

This ain't right.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,138
RHM,

I get what you are saying, and agree. I will go on record as saying some of the posts made me want to bang my head against the wall, but in this season of "peace and goodwill towards men" (and women - don't want to be politically incorrect), I wonder if we can't all take a breath and learn from this?

I was told (not by a moderator) that one can't appeal the moderators' decision. I am sure the decision wasn't made lightly. Let's face it, the guy pushes some people's buttons. I am guessing he might make an effort to not do that, and I would try to move my button to a place where it isn't so easy to push.

The forum may be diminished a bit by anyone's absence, but I know my entertainment level would be diminished a bunch by loss of the Battle Scooters forum.

Respectfully,
Jim
Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
For those of you around long enough to remember, we used to have someone much more irritating than the person in question here. Remember Tacoma?

Personally I'll miss the person in question. I just wish he could have listened to the multiple warnings he got. He had already been banned from Road Warriors. Somehow I doubt that any amount of warnings would ever get through.

This isn't a democracy but if it was, I'd vote to give him another chance in a month or two. Just my opinion, not trying to second guess the mods. There is probably more to this than what I have seen.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
So who got banned?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Oddometer: 151
It's not like he was an internet troll. He just had opinions others didn't like.
Do we all have to think alike? Do we all need to like the same things?

Hopefully he's not gone too long. I've rolled my eyes at some of his posts... but I've done so at others too.

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
It's not like he was an internet troll. He just had opinions others didn't like.
Do we all have to think alike? Do we all need to like the same things?

Hopefully he's not gone too long. I've rolled my eyes at some of his posts... but I've done so at others too.
I don't think that it was his opinions that got him banned. It was the fact that he was constantly hijacking threads and posting his opinion everywhere.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,410
I think the main point was going into bike specific threads that he has never owned, and would probably never own, and tell people they bought the wrong bike. Over and over and over, etc.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
I think the main point was going into bike specific threads that he has never owned, and would probably never own, and tell people they bought the wrong bike. Over and over and over, etc.
Exactly. It's too bad he just couldn't or wouldn't listen to the warnings because he did also make some positive contributions to this forum.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
JoshM
2015 Wee-Strom

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I don't think that it was his opinions that got him banned. It was the fact that he was constantly hijacking threads and posting his opinion everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Eh, I guess I didn't think it was that bad. I rarely go into specific scooter threads..

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
No criticism of mods or anybody else, ok?

And yes, I know that this is a privately-owned enterprise, that the rules are sacrosanct, and the whole deal is none of my business, and ditto that sometimes there are people who rub us the wrong way, maybe for little reason or maybe even just because that's the way it is. God knows I myself encounter plenty of folks on websites whose families and friends find them saintly that I can't stand, and doubtless that goes vice-versa. That's what the "ignore" function is for.

But there's this guy, see, who doesn't curse, doesn't insult, doesn't bait, doesn't condescend, doesn't brag, or lie or embroider, who is - by his lights - consistently modest and generous and helpful in his attitudes and advice (even that with which we may not agree), who shares all the core values and enthusiasms of small-scale riding, who acknowledges being a bit of a Luddite when it comes to 'modern' technology (and bears the hits he takes for it with good grace), and here his citizenship has been revoked.

For occasional irrelevancy, for not staying on point, for illogical interruptions, for talking about cats when dogs are on the table, for messing up the orderly arrangement of doilies on the tea cart, for bringing a knife to a gunfight.

So what?

Have the diffuse pressures of modern life become so great that even minor irritants must trigger disenfranchisement?

Granted, I'm only thinking about this guy and his sere life and what this rejection is in it, and not the commonweal. And yeah, this ain't a democracy, and there is no referendum, and I don't have a vote. But the penalty don't fit the crime. Nobody asked for my opinion, but here it is.

This ain't right.
Let's drop this in Lehman's terms, shall we? If you piss off enough people in a community, do you think you will always be welcome there?

How many people does it take to cause this action?

Not really sure but this guy, even after he is gone, is still causing a ruckus. No pun to the Honda.

Surely Jerry is still enjoying the pot he is stirring whole not even being here.

I read multiple forums and pretty much everything down here.

Some of you must not remember well or don't read many threads here.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
From my perspective, it wasn't any one comment or even the repeated comments. It was the fact that many threads would be derailed for pages (2 or 3) full of useless bickering. It's especially annoying when trying to get useful information and the posts are no longer about the bike or topic at all.

Maybe an unintentional troll. You know, some overly opinionated (generally considered off target) rant and 3 or 3 people bite.

From the internet, we don't know people for sure, so I hope he's genuinely happy despite not being allowed here anymore.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
my two cents

First of all, I'm not sure if there was some specific infraction(s) recently that earned him the boot, but I didn't find his posts too irritating. He usually just espoused an opinion that was different than a lot of others here. Not knocking any mods, because I obviously don't have all the facts.

Having said that...

As the OP noted, he wasn't rude or insulting, nor did he argue for the sake of argument.

Seems like in every social setting, be it work, school, or an internet forum, there's always one guy who somehow ends up on the fringes of fitting in. Maybe it's just me, but I find these people are often the most interesting ones. Fitting in can be overrated.

I'm sure you have all noticed that almost every forum on the internet is full of people arguing, name-calling, insulting and generally just berating each other with as much vitriol and hate as they can muster. The comment section of most every article on the internet is the same way.

I'll admit that I've jumped into the fray a few times myself, but for the most part I try and respect the right of other posters to have an opinion contrary to mine without jumping on them with both feet. So what if another poster dislikes modern technology? No skin off my back. Who should really care if another forum member does not want to pay document fees at his local dealership? Doesn't bend my nose out of joint one bit.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were all a little more tolerant of each others positions and opinions?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
As the OP noted, he wasn't rude or insulting, nor did he argue for the sake of argument.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were all a little more tolerant of each others positions and opinions?
Well sometimes he did and occasionally I'd wish for an "ignore" button but harmless and for the most part I wouldn't classify him as a troll even though his soapbox got kind of old frequently but if its not a time out then in some ways I'll miss him.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Well sometimes he did and occasionally I'd wish for an "ignore" button but harmless and for the most part I wouldn't classify him as a troll even though his soapbox got kind of old frequently but if its not a time out then in some ways I'll miss him.
Well said Cheryl.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
redhandmoto OP

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Some of you must not remember well or don't read many threads here.
Oh, jah; have read it all since 2008. But, yes, guilty: got the memory of a fruit-fly.

Engaging stuff here, for the most part; thick with insight, freighted with rich experience and authenticity, often very well written. Where the real-world rubber meets the actual road. A valuable alternative/antidote to the 'professional' reviewers in the industry press. I just don't post much.

Of particular, catalytic, value has been the class of, uh, outlier, contrarian posts offering stubbornly-held, even bull-headed and nonsensical positions that fly in the face of accepted wisdom. I get forced into examining my own convictions and defending them; I end up seeing things I didn't see before. The gent in question led me to revise my thoughts on the carb-vs-FI debate, and that on the air-vs-liquid-cooled as well.

In layman's terms, the debate did me a lotta good. I didn't mind that an opinion could be tenaciously, tediously held or layered on with a trowel - I let the eye just skip through the redundancy. If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't ever listen to the news.

Ya know, I could well be wrong, but I don't recall the fella ever suggesting that anyone had bought the wrong bike. I do recall him saying that he wouldn't have bought such-and-such a bike, and why, but that ain't quite the same thing. But maybe I'm wrong; been wrong, boring, repetitive, illogical before, plenty. Wasn't fatal, didn't get turned out for it.