User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,082
Burgman on West Virginia backroads - Ride Report

Just posted a new ride report from last week on my riding website. Rode the Burgman 650 down the Brandonville Turnpike, Aurora Turnpike, Stemple Ridege Road, and Limestone Road south from Brandonville WV to St George WV. Nice quiet backroads through woods and old farm country.

http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderBackro...lleParsons.htm

I did not work much on the website last year since we moved and I was spending a great deal of time working on/around the house. This year will (hopefully) be different as I have several rides planned. Stay tuned.

The homepage: www.RidingWV.com

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,205
I will have to boil up a pot of coffee for this site!
Just wanted to let you know I really appreciate all that info. Im a neighbor in Kentucky, and love your state. I think it rivals, surpass's anything New England has to offer, its sort of good people dont know that, or they'll come in, en masse, and "improve" it!
Again, thanks for all this great info and pictures.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Nice looking ride. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Nice sites. All motorcyclists should visit Eastern Ky and W Virginia. Both as a way a way to help a struggling economy plus ride some of the most scenic roads in the USA.

The Greenies who hate coal should look at what this has done to an economy that has depended on it for a couple of centuries.

I have said many times that if W. Va was moved to California it would be the greatest tourist destination in America and the land would be worth a fortune.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
hydawaydoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
W. Va

Take a ride thru S W W.Va and observe what mountaintop removal mining is doing for W VA. The profits from lumbering and mining has not ended up in W Va and never will.
hydawaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydawaydoc View Post
Take a ride thru S W W.Va and observe what mountaintop removal mining is doing for W VA. The profits from lumbering and mining has not ended up in W Va and never will.
True, and the damage is forever.

We need more great ideas to promote tourism and generate jobs for local people, like Hatfield & McCoy

My grandparents were from Southern WV. Coal trains rain through town every day, just passing through, leaving only coal dust.

2 photos from 2004, the last time I was there:

Train depot - 2004 reno, Alderson, WV
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

That's all well and good but in today's world the land has to be reclaimed after it is mined. The facts are that timber and coal are a resource that should not be hidden or protested against by greenies. Their extraction has resulted in a life for many West Virginians who would have had nothing without. Many squandered the opportunities. Reclaim the land and move on. Tourism doesn't pay very well and no one really wants the congestion as seem in places like Gatlinburg and other tourist towns on holidays.

If you go back far enough most anywhere in the USA and most countries you find the rich got richer and exploited the poor, move on and do the best you can.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Exactly westnash. You wrote "The Greenies who hate coal should look at what this has done to an economy that has depended on it for a couple of centuries." and "the rich got richer and exploited the poor". WV is the poorest state in America. It isn't working, so why keep doing it?

Not to get too political, but how does this sort of mining help the average West Virginian? Lots of machines, lots of explosives, few jobs. Carving mountaintops off to expose coal, vs. traditional mining is done because it is cheap. More profits for corporations, less wages for workers.

Clean coal power production doesn't cure the impact of extracting it.

This is similar to Alberta oil sands and BC timber. There are some jobs in extraction, but the raw resource materials are exported. The bulk of the jobs are elsewhere, and don't benefit the people of the state / province, who are left with the mess.

The mountain top photo in my post above is a link to an article. Excerpts:

At a Senate hearing last June, Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) official Randy Pomponio, said that the extent of damage is not yet known: “We are just beginning to understand and assign value to these ecological services.”

What can be measured are chemicals like arsenic, lead, mercury, magnesium and selenium that leach into water sources from mining waste. Toxins have been found in high concentrations downstream of mountaintop mining sites, killing fish and threatening human health, according to biologist Dennis Lemly of Wake Forest University

and

Public-health studies suggest that people who live in mountaintop mining areas have “higher rates of lung cancer, chronic lung, heart and kidney disease mortality [and] lower birth rates” than average, possibly caused by breathing in coal dust or absorbing harmful chemicals, says Dr. Michael Hendryx, a professor of community medicine at West Virginia University, who studies health effects from mining.

and

Overall, the environmental impact of mountaintop mining is so traumatic, says Palmer, that she and a team of engineers, ecologists and hydrologists recommended an end to the practice in a paper published in January in the journal Science. They dismiss federal and state laws, including the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977, which oblige companies to reclaim mined land, for example, by rehabilitating natural biodiversity or rebuilding the mountain to its approximate original contour. Massey has undertaken rehabilitation projects in the region, having already planted one million new trees in Central Appalachia — but critics say such efforts cannot undo the damage. It’s the domino effect: initial damage from mining sets off an endless series of environmental consequences that are hard to trace, and even harder to fix. “The impacts appear to be permanent,” says Palmer. “There is no evidence whatsoever that forest reclamation on mountaintop mine sites have been successful.”
Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Well, "not to get too political", it helps the average ones that do not have the drive or inclination to move or go to work for themselves, with a job that pays a lot more than tourism and has paid more than the typical manual labor job for the last 150 years. It was only after the DC liberals decided they knew best that all those jobs in W Va went away, and, oh yes until recently, all that money was going to the Mideast instead of the USA. And there used to be many small shoe and garment manufacturing factories, before the management consultants and politicans said, "we don't need that here, our people should all learn to be high tech computer operators". Didn't work too well either. Unfortunately the only growth job has been for the government or public sector, an almost total waste of taxpayer money and brainpower.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Highliner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
not too get politial

Yeah right, mention coal jobs versus the environment and it automatically turns red vs blue.

Unfortunately if we elect the people who would protect our water quality and the best reasons to live in wv, They'd also take our guns, cuz thats what greenies do.

I apologize for punting up your thread, I appreciate that you took the time to post a blog and I learned what the big implement in Aurora is. I thought it was a rock crusher.

Highliner screwed with this post 05-21-2015 at 10:59 AM
Highliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highliner View Post
I apologize for punting up your thread, I appreciate that you took the time to post a blog and I learned what the big implement in Aurora is. I thought it was a rock crusher.
Thank you for steering the thread back to its original direction - that of providing information and photos on a riding route that others may be interested in.

Let's keep it that way.

Thanks.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM   #12
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

It is a great state to ride in. Eastern KY, too!