User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
uraldog OP
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
Thumb Symba

Girl friend has bought her a Symba -- first impressions are good -- well built has adequate power [ still in the breakin stage ] shifts better than most big bikes and maintenance will be easy --pricey yes but the quality is there --I may have to have one for myself ,the damn thing is just fun to ride and with gas going up again, that 80+ MPG [ the claim is 153 MPG @ 25MPH , but whos gonna do that] may be needed for those short into town for the mail and milk runs --if this thread survives I'll update as it gets the miles on it
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
My girlfriend just ordered hers from the Eugene, OR dealer last Thursday. We got to look over a new red one(the color she ordered)and the quality is really good. Cant wait to take it for a spin. Maybe this can turn out to be the official Symba Thread.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
post picks.....

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
uraldog OP
vagabond

I posted a pics guess it didn't take [ I had to click on the red X ] --- up date-- at 70 miles the engine is breaking in good ,still very quiet/like a Singer, so far the only complaint is the seat--poor foam material used in costruction equates to the feeling your settin on steel after a few miles, Sym will have to do better if they want to sell more , course most stock bike seats suck any way but the suspension works well even two up [ has easily adjustable rear shocks for single or dual use ] and the small telescopic front fork does a good job on the rough back roads and dirt roads in the area---having the rear drive chain enclosed is really keeping the chain clean and operating with out problems though it 's probably going to add a liitle agravation when it comes tim to change out the rear tire--- and we're still on the same tank of gas so I'm guessin about 90 to 100 MPG on the first tank but I'll report back when it needs gas again
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I had the chance to take a test drive on a Symba at Apollo Scooters in Houston on Wednesday. I was very impressed--ultra quiet and ultra smooth. Accelerated well all the way through the gears and got to 52mph without even trying hard. It had more but I only took a very brief ride. I'm pretty sure it would have gotten in the 55-56mph neighborhood with little difficulty, and that is with me (6'5" and 260lbs) on board. I would prefer the long saddle but it doesn't appear that it will be offered here . . . yet. Very tempted . . .

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

I am so tempted too, and I am an original passport owner. The only thing is, ya never buy the first year of a bike. They need a couple of years to work out the kinks. I know how easy my passport is to work on, and I imagine the symba would be the same. The displacement ( I believe 110 cc) put it over the limit to skirt emissions here in az. Not that I have a doubt that it will pass, it's just waiting in line and all that crap I am very interested in yours and other owners though, my trigger finger is itchy.

current stable

'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Here is a good audio review of the Symba. http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/16296

http://sym-usa.com/news/

Bugtussle screwed with this post 05-29-2009 at 07:11 AM
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO
I am so tempted too, and I am an original passport owner. The only thing is, ya never buy the first year of a bike. They need a couple of years to work out the kinks. I know how easy my passport is to work on, and I imagine the symba would be the same. The displacement ( I believe 110 cc) put it over the limit to skirt emissions here in az. Not that I have a doubt that it will pass, it's just waiting in line and all that crap I am very interested in yours and other owners though, my trigger finger is itchy.
how many years have they been selling the symba under the wowwow or whatever name??
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Sym has built by contract all of the cubs and many other motorcycles for Honda for over 40 years. They also build Honda and Hyundai cars too. Huge company, they know quality. The Symba is the result of years of refinement building Passports. Link to SYM Honda connection http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...coming-to-usa/

Bugtussle screwed with this post 05-29-2009 at 07:12 PM
Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
domingo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Laugh

The audio review sounded more like an infomercial. I'm not the up on scooters to the characters on the scene. I'm pretty interested, but is it really that good?
I've heard about companies that sound good, and then are gone in a few years. Is there pretty good reason to believe Sym will be around for a long time? They sound pretty solid.

Thanks,

d3
domingo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
uraldog OP
vagabond

diesel 1959 --- in the literature I received the long seat is currently offered as an option and thanks for the extreme test drive , we're breaking this one in cautiously and are anxiously waiting to open it up a little --I've been keeping it at 30 and under --it puts nice -- but from the sound of RPMs I figured it will be about tached out at 55-- did your test bike seem that way?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,865
Nice to hear that the dealers are finally getting these in. As far as break-in goes I think you could push the speed up to about 35~40 for short moments. The engine quality of the ceramic cylindered scoots allowed for some leeway in the break-in, although the Symba is an iron cylindered bike, It won't hurt it to vary the speed a bit.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo3
I've heard about companies that sound good, and then are gone in a few years. Is there pretty good reason to believe Sym will be around for a long time? They sound pretty solid.
Sym *have* been around for a long time and there is no reason to suspect they will disappear any time soon. Do a bit of research for yourself and you'll see they've been in the game forever, they make many other models besides Symba, and they enjoy a very good reputation for quality.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #14
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
Sym *have* been around for a long time and there is no reason to suspect they will disappear any time soon. Do a bit of research for yourself and you'll see they've been in the game forever, they make many other models besides Symba, and they enjoy a very good reputation for quality.
I think some (certainly not all, but some) peoples worries about "disappearing" are more on the distribution end rather than the production end. Many good scooter products have suffered from poor dealer networks. So far SYM has grown in the US, but some areas are better served than others. For instance, Denver and northern Illinois are very dealer rich, but there are no dealers within 75 miles of Madison, a really big University town with a large and long standing scooter culture.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
how many years have they been selling the symba under the wowwow or whatever name??
They just came out! like a month or two.

current stable

'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250