User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Costa Rica Lives up to the hype!

So here goes with a report about Costa Rica. I'm a Spanish teacher in North Kansas City, MO and I've done a bit of riding and exploring in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize. That trip was exactly four years ago and the world cup was in full swing. The motorcycle part of this excursion was from Costa Rica's first win until their second win in preliminary group play for the world cup. It was amazing to see this country. I've been teaching about CR for years and showing pictures that belong to other people. I felt like I knew the country already, because of it...I just had not had any boots on the ground as of yet. Now I've done that. I rode a DRZ for a week around the southern part of the country, I hiked Chirripo'...the highest peak in CR and I've explored the rich countryside offroad a bit. All in all...Costa Rica lives up to the dual sport hype. The first 10 days of my trip was with a group of 30 students and some wonderful teachers. They went home and I stuck around and rented a DRZ from Wild Rider in San Jose. Thor was awsome. He was extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. It cost 65$ a day to rent the bike and they put a hold on my credit card for $1k in case of dammage. I let the bike lay down once on a steep incline and smashed my leg a bit. That was the night before the hike. I'm getting out in front of my self...Let me tell how this all began...
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

How it got started.

My friend Calla

So I teach at a high school and Calla and Melissa, two teachers I teach with had a trip they were working on. They said if I got a few students together who wanted to go, I could go as well...free. So I worked on it and got it taken care of...Then I extended my trip a week. So I was in Costa Rica for 10 days with students...

The first 10 days were tourism related. Pretty rough stuff. Started in San Jose. Went to Arenal area. (la Fortuna) Baldi' Hot springs is highly reccomended. Very Cool. We went to Poas Volcano, then around the northern side of Lake Arenal through Tilaran and down to the Santa Elena area. Monteverde Cloud Forest is there. Zip-lining, horseback riding etc. Then down to Playa Jaco' and Manuel Antonio. Then back to San Jose for a night. Then white water rafting in a river to the north west...by Braulio Carrillo National Park. All that part was very exciting...but was only the pregame show leading up to the motorcycle rental and the rides.

This is the DRZ 400 I rented. The process took about 45 min. Very easy. The first day I rode was the 14th of June. The day CR made it's first win in the world cup. I heard Thor say to some other clients that CR had about 5% chance of winning. They won. It was amazing. The first day I rode out of the back to the hotel and through Cartago and up the Cerro de la Muerte towards San Isidro. It's only 140 km from San Jose to San Isidro. In a bus it took my daughter 4 hours. I could have made it in two...but getting there was not my goal. Exploration was the goal.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

First day and map help.

First of all...I see many of you putting maps on your ride reports where you show a path where you went. I have tried to figure out how to do it on my own...I can't. If any of you have a link to a tutorial telling me how to write on a map and draw arrows and show the path I took, I would be happy to put a map up. I personally love reports that show the locations of things...I just don't know how to do it. If you are going to CR and want to do some off road riding...it's heaven. I can tell you a few places where I just went nuts and had a blast...

That being said...I started in San Jose the first day and ended up at a cool hotel with cabins called El Mirador de Los Quetzales. It was reccomended to me by our tour guide. It was a little pricey for me...$70...but that included a cabin looking out over the mountains, dinner, Breakfast and a one on one guided tour in the morning to go look for quetzales. We saw two. The real reason I stayed there is that it was at an elevation of almost 9k feet. I was hiking to 12k+ Monday morning, so I needed my body to be adjusted...

This was the view from the cabin...In this same direction at night time...you could see the lights of the city of San Jose.

If you look on the map at the road between Cartago and San Isidro...1/2 way in between you might see a small town called la Cima. This is that area. Going towards San Isidro, you turn to the right to reach la Cima. You go down into a valley...funny because la Cima means the peak. I spen a few hours here and I'll show you some pics of it. This is one of my top three places to ride. From the turn off to la Cima you could turn right or left. The paths are almost unending. Small dirt and gravel roads that lead up the sides of mountains. I was riding up and workers were comming down with buckets of Mora...Blackberry. They were waiting for the delivery truck to come get the berries to take them to market. The small rock roads covered the mountainside and it seemed like they went on for ever. Most people that don't live in San Jose live in the countryside. There are so many roads to explore that go every which way. All felt very safe and calm...except for when they won those two world cup games...

Man, I love these old Toyota Land Cruiser pick ups they have everywhere down there...I saw some converted into tow trucks

There are many farms around this area with Trout ponds. They let you fish and eat what you catch...they will prepare it for you...

I asked if I could drive around their fence and ride up to an anntennae they had at the top of the mountain...they said...OK.

I came back to Enpalme to get some food and medicine for my leg. I had rented a 250 earlier in the trip at Playa Jaco' and had burned my leg when I dropped the bike in the wet mud. They had a cafeteria style diner. I sat and watched more world cup with some empanadas de chicharron.

Usually chicharron is the fatty part of the pork. (pork rinds) but in Costa Rica it seemed to me to be more like what the Mexicans call "Carnitas" Pork boiled in fat and very tender. Great in an empanada. I ate lots of these...With salsa lizano...a Costa Rican seasoning. I brought lots home to make my own gallo pinto.

Day one was in the books. I had traveled only 70km from San Jose to just past la Cima. It was a full day and I was tired. Had some fresh trout for dinner and called it a night. The next day was when I smashed my leg with the bike a bit. More to come...
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
bingo43 OP
¡Que Viva!

Trout Farm

This was one of the trout farms I found while exploring.

Dual Sport Heaven!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
nb11
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey I've been to that trout farm/restaurant a time or two!! Always wondered what was up the hill past the gate. Any more pics from the top? Also, Playa Jaco was a nice place. It seemed to be less touristy.

If you ever go back, make a trip to Playa Coyote. It's a huge beach on the Southwest corner of the country that is absolutely vacant except for a little old guy who lives on the beach and surfs. It's a dual sport dream to get there. As I'm sure you found out, they're not too concerned with having a bridge for every river crossing. In fact, they're not concerned with much at all down there. It's such a beautiful country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 349
I'd like to retire there.
Your thoughts.
Thank you.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
jerdog53