Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #16
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
What is tech day?
It's a day where local AdvRiders gather at a preagrred upon mtg location and swap lies and work on their bikes.
Look in the Regional Forums and set one up in your neck of the woods if you don't see any.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
Well, i didn't ever expect to get so much feedback.
Most of my other questions took quite a while to get anything.
However, thanks much. I now know lots and lots on this pushrod seal.
Will get it taken care of one way or another.

2 questions:
What is tech day?
What is snowbums? Did a google, but didnt' get anything about motorcycles.
Tech day = a group of airheads getting together to work on bikes, tell lies and drink beer.
Snowbum = a slightly arrogant individual who never the less knows a TON about airheads and has a website. The useful stuff is here:
http://www.cdegroot.com/cgi-bin/mirr.../techindex.htm
Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #18
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,769
join airheads

go to airheads.org and join

great newsletter with tons of information (and some annoying pro-war propoganda, but not too much). Access to "Oak," the, repeat, THE Airhead Guru. He will reply quickly to any tech question.
elmoreman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #19
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,407
cool.
will do.
thx all.

tech day sounds like a lot of fun.
My other airhead is a 66 beetle which i've owned for 13 years so i'm excited to learn more about my smaller newer airhead.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #20
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
I've been doing it this way on Airheads for 20 years.
There are o-rings around the top cylinder studs that are either the same age as or older than the pushrod tube seals and they ought to be replaced during this job, too. The model in question and all since ~1978 also have a large o-ring to seal the cylinder to the block--same advice.

No way to do either without completely removing cylinder.

No way to replace pushrod seals without disturbing or stressing those o-rings, either.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #21
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
There are o-rings around the top cylinder studs that are either the same age as or older than the pushrod tube seals and they ought to be replaced during this job, too. The model in question and all since ~1978 also have a large o-ring to seal the cylinder to the block--same advice.

No way to do either without completely removing cylinder.

No way to replace pushrod seals without disturbing or stressing those o-rings, either.
YEP

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #22
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,473
If you want to renew the pushrod seals, you really have to do the big o ring and the smaller ones Kent mentioned. The shortcut some of you may be thinking of is to leave the pistons in the cylinders so you don't have to mess with compressing the rings and putting it back together. You do this by moving the pistons down to the bottom of the barrel far enought to remove a piston pin circlip and taking the pin out of the piston and connection rod. Works pretty well and if you are just doing the seals it makes for a quick job.

Snowbum isn't arrogant, he's just to the point and doesn't do well with dumb questions. Considering the generous amount of time he, Oak and Tom Cutter put in helping folks on the airhead list I can't blame them a bit. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #23
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
If you want to renew the pushrod seals, you really have to do the big o ring and the smaller ones Kent mentioned. The shortcut some of you may be thinking of is to leave the pistons in the cylinders so you don't have to mess with compressing the rings and putting it back together. You do this by moving the pistons down to the bottom of the barrel far enought to remove a piston pin circlip and taking the pin out of the piston and connection rod. Works pretty well and if you are just doing the seals it makes for a quick job.

Snowbum isn't arrogant, he's just to the point and doesn't do well with dumb questions. Considering the generous amount of time he, Oak and Tom Cutter put in helping folks on the airhead list I can't blame them a bit. JT
I asked a question about converting a stock R80 into a g/s on the airhead list, and right away I was accused of baiting the list by Tom Cutter. I never posted again, and decided to not join the Airheads club. I guess that was a dumb question..... (sorry for the hijack).