User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
davidt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Scooters for tall guys

All - Glad to see this forum. I have been lurking since before most of you have been members. I currently have a 1150GS and an F650 Dakar. Am planning on selling these, and am intrigued about scooters. I'm about 6'6" with a 34" inseam. What would be a good fit in a scooter for me? I looked at a 200cc Vespa, and the fit seemed "OK", but haven't riden one yet. Sales dude said it has a larger frame than a standard Vespa. I Like the larger wheels of a Scarabeo (sp?), however. Houston roads can be rough. I also like the idea of highway speeds for a slab run when necessary. Kymco Super 9 looks cool, but it's probably too small (displacement and size). Not turned on by the Burgman....I'd probably keep the Dakar then. Any ideas? Sorry about the rambling post.

Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,011
Tall Scooter?

Look at the 89 Pearl in the Baddest Ass Scooter Thread. It'll fit you.

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt
All - Glad to see this forum. I have been lurking since before most of you have been members. I currently have a 1150GS and an F650 Dakar. Am planning on selling these, and am intrigued about scooters. I'm about 6'6" with a 34" inseam. What would be a good fit in a scooter for me? I looked at a 200cc Vespa, and the fit seemed "OK", but haven't riden one yet. Sales dude said it has a larger frame than a standard Vespa. I Like the larger wheels of a Scarabeo (sp?), however. Houston roads can be rough. I also like the idea of highway speeds for a slab run when necessary. Kymco Super 9 looks cool, but it's probably too small (displacement and size). Not turned on by the Burgman....I'd probably keep the Dakar then. Any ideas? Sorry about the rambling post.

Dave
Are most of your runs gonna be in town, or on freeways, or both? You'll need a minimum of 150ccs IMHO. I'd look at 250cc scoots.

The Kymco Bet&Win 250 is a possibilty. I'm mentioning it because (aside from Kymco building a good bike with a 2 yr warranty) although it has a stepped seat, you could still scoot back to the passenger area w/o too much problem to give yourself some more legroom or an alternate seating position vs. being locked into one place with one of the deep-dish seats.

Kymco also makes a People 250 if you want a big-wheel package:

(note the deep-dish seat, though...)

I'd say the best thing to do is just find something--anything--and test ride it to start getting a feel for what works and what doesn't. Give the Vespa 200 a shot.

Also, you might want to look into a Stella. It has more legroom than my 1150GS (seat to floorboard) and sits pretty tall. It's essentially a Vespa PX-150 and go-fast goodies are common and fairly inexpensive. It's a 4-speed scooter, not an auto.

You might want to give Ilmostro a PM and ask him about his experiences with the Aprilia he had.

I'd also take a look at the Big Ruckus. IlMostro and JohnTM can give you input there, too. Given what you've been riding, I think you'd like it--not much plastic to mess with in case you decide to take it down a fire road, and typical Honda bulletproof engine. Not to mention plenty of bare frame to hang stuff on. Plus, if you do need parts, there are Honda shops darn near everywhere, relative to Kymco, Aprilia, and so on.

Just my .02.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
davidt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
Look at the 89 Pearl in the Baddest Ass Scooter Thread. It'll fit you.

Thanks. If I wanted a PC800, I'd buy one. I assume that's what that is. It doesn't fit me.

Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
davidt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Are most of your runs gonna be in town, or on freeways, or both? You'll need a minimum of 150ccs IMHO. I'd look at 250cc scoots.

The Kymco Bet&Win 250 is a possibilty. I'm mentioning it because (aside from Kymco building a good bike with a 2 yr warranty) although it has a stepped seat, you could still scoot back to the passenger area w/o too much problem to give yourself some more legroom or an alternate seating position vs. being locked into one place with one of the deep-dish seats.

Kymco also makes a People 250 if you want a big-wheel package:

(note the deep-dish seat, though...)

I'd say the best thing to do is just find something--anything--and test ride it to start getting a feel for what works and what doesn't. Give the Vespa 200 a shot.

Also, you might want to look into a Stella. It has more legroom than my 1150GS (seat to floorboard) and sits pretty tall. It's essentially a Vespa PX-150 and go-fast goodies are common and fairly inexpensive. It's a 4-speed scooter, not an auto.

You might want to give Ilmostro a PM and ask him about his experiences with the Aprilia he had.

I'd also take a look at the Big Ruckus. IlMostro and JohnTM can give you input there, too. Given what you've been riding, I think you'd like it--not much plastic to mess with in case you decide to take it down a fire road, and typical Honda bulletproof engine. Not to mention plenty of bare frame to hang stuff on. Plus, if you do need parts, there are Honda shops darn near everywhere, relative to Kymco, Aprilia, and so on.

Just my .02.

Thanks Photog. I'd hafta say both highway and street. Houston is a big town, and to get anywhere you probably need to hop the slab, so I'd like to at least be able to hit 70 mph, and I weigh 240 lbs.

Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 474
I know a lot of tall people that swear by the Helix. It is different, but it works. Most of the Aprilias I looked at had good room too.

I am 6'3" and ride a Yamaha Majesty, myself, but it might be just a touch cramped in the knee area with your inseam.

At your size, you are looking at a 250cc minimum to do 70, and even then, you would be topping out most of them. (An exception seems to be the Aprilia Atlantic 200; that thing flies for a 200cc) A 400 would be more comfortable at those speeds, but it depends how big you are willing to go.

Tifighter screwed with this post 10-04-2005 at 07:11 PM
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt
Thanks Photog. I'd hafta say both highway and street. Houston is a big town, and to get anywhere you probably need to hop the slab, so I'd like to at least be able to hit 70 mph, and I weigh 240 lbs.

Dave
250 would work, anything over that would be gravy.

We'll see who chimes in. In the meantime I'll do a little snooping around and see what's out there.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
the Stella fits my 34" inseam just fine.
But highways are probably out unless you shoehorned a 200 under it..
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan
the Stella fits my 34" inseam just fine.
But highways are probably out unless you shoehorned a 200 under it..
Oops...yeah, you're right.

Disregard.

Like I like. Yep.