ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Tifighter OP
thread killer
 
Tifighter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Taco-Ma
Oddometer: 473
New Burgman 650 Executive

The Burger 650 Executive officially launched on the Suzuki USA site yesterday:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

They couldn't let Honda have the most expensive scooter, could they?
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Bayou Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Houma, LA
Oddometer: 1,685
Oh my lord

I payed $500 less than that for my Strom 1000 before taxes and stuff. Brand New.

I kinda want a scoot. But not that bad.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,256
Apparently there's a market. I guess.

I wonder what the research showed? Re-entry riders? Noobs? Older riders? People wanting an automatic? The euro market?

Apparently they are people with bigass limits on their VISA card.
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
JohnTM
I suck toes
 
JohnTM's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: Cornersville, TN
Oddometer: 29,206
Looks like it was designed to eat Silverwing market share. Looks just like one to me.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Oh my lord

I payed $500 less than that for my Strom 1000 before taxes and stuff. Brand New.

I kinda want a scoot. But not that bad.
Why surprised about the price? The Burgman 650 Executive's liquid cooled parallel twin DOHC motor is only 350cc smaller than your V-Strom's, and it's mounted in a rigid motorcycle-style frame, just like your bike. It has an aluminum swingarm, just like your bike. Dual discs up back and a single disk in the back, just like your bike. Radial tires/aluminum rims, just like your bike. But unlike your bike, the Exec comes with ABS, a multimode transmission, a 500 watt alternator, an electric windscreen, retractable mirrors, a full fairing and about 70 liters of built-in, waterproof storage. And you never have to worry about lubing or changing chains -- the Exec's drive belt is rated for the life of the bike.

BTW, I'm sure some dealers will sell it for less than MRSP
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,256
Wow...cool!



Burgman engine.
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Bayou Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Houma, LA
Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Why surprised about the price? The Burgman 650 Executive's liquid cooled parallel twin DOHC motor is only 350cc smaller than your V-Strom's, and it's mounted in a rigid motorcycle-style frame, just like your bike. It has an aluminum swingarm, just like your bike. Dual discs up back and a single disk in the back, just like your bike. Radial tires/aluminum rims, just like your bike. But unlike your bike, the Exec comes with ABS, a multimode transmission, a 500 watt alternator, an electric windscreen, retractable mirrors, a full fairing and about 70 liters of built-in, waterproof storage. And you never have to worry about lubing or changing chains -- the Exec's drive belt is rated for the life of the bike.

BTW, I'm sure some dealers will sell it for less than MRSP
Yea, all of that is cool.
And I understand the point.
And it would work fantastic for street touring.
But I doubt they sell many.

And that last one is just my opinion,
But I bet it turns into a fact.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,014
If gas prices keep going up I bet they'll sell plenty. The ABS Burger rocks both as a commuter and a weekend tourer.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
Yea, all of that is cool.
And I understand the point.
And it would work fantastic for street touring.
But I doubt they sell many.

And that last one is just my opinion,
But I bet it turns into a fact.
I dunno.

I'm skeptical, too.

But lately we're seeing a lot ot technology being put into scooter design. The number of scooters sold in the US ain't huge right now relative to, say, motorcycles, and there's been a dip in UK sales...haven't looked at Germany, etc. From those numbers, I'd think that they'd hold the line on what's out there and just make incremental changes.

But--damn--look at the Honda Griffin. And this Burgman. And Kymco is doing well from what I've heard, and TnG is beefing up their marketing.

It's got me wondering if they're anticipating something we don't see just yet, or if these maxi's are selling better than we think

I think we'll see a fuel-related spike in scoot sales--but I'm thinking those will be 250 and under bikes.

I just wonder what these manufacturers are up to with pouring money into the maxis.

It's all good...
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,097
Jeebus, zook, lay off of the steroids. 518 LB dry weight??? That's not a scooter.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #11
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Bayou Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Houma, LA
Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
If gas prices keep going up I bet they'll sell plenty. The ABS Burger rocks both as a commuter and a weekend tourer.
It won't be for the mileage. It gets the same as my Strom as well as just about any other bike.

I'd rather have one of the 150cc scoots for commuting. Now I think that this thing is really cool. I just don't understand how this gets the OK to produce and other jap manufacturers don't bring bikes to the US that would sell that are already produced for distributing in other areas.

As a business owner I just don't get it.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,256
I'd love to try one, though.

What's the top end?

I've heard they're plenty fast.
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Tifighter OP
thread killer
 
Tifighter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Taco-Ma
Oddometer: 473
I don't think they will have a lot of trouble selling them. Here in Seattle, my local Suzie dealer never has B 650's on the floor long, but they always seem to have 2 year old Silverwing trade ins. Suzuki has a few years of sales history for the regular B 650 model in the USA, and I am sure the numbers support the move. The Exec has been on sale in Europe, Japan and Canada for awhile too, so its not entirely a flying leap...

There are plenty of guys on the burgmanusa forum that want one...
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
It won't be for the mileage. It gets the same as my Strom as well as just about any other bike.

I'd rather have one of the 150cc scoots for commuting. Now I think that this thing is really cool. I just don't understand how this gets the OK to produce and other jap manufacturers don't bring bikes to the US that would sell that are already produced for distributing in other areas.

As a business owner I just don't get it.
Yep, it wouldn't be for the mileage compared to other bikes -- though it's not bad, I get about 52mpg on my Exec. It would be for the mileage compared to cages that get 15mpg. I'm guessing that people who wouldn't consider riding to work on a motorcycle would consider the Burger because of its automatic transmission, decent power (particularly compared to other scoots) great weather protection and large storage capacity. That's what's been happening in Europe. Suzuki is the most miserly of all the Japanese makers. It wouldn't introduce the Executive if it didn't believe it would sell. North American sales of the standard Burgman (as well as the Exec in Canada) probably convinced it to make this move.

Regarding top speed, a bit over 100mph.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 3,118
The burgmans have a nice forum too. I think you'd be quite surprised of their sales. Heck, I want one, the dealer says that they will go 119mph too. My DR650 won't do that. If it had very good cornering clearance I'd probably already have one. Imagine all the goodies you could hook up to this bike, heated everything, computer while you ride, tv, run your house even.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014