Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #16
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
The cornering clearance isn't bad. I have a friend (Lycheed on the Burgman USA site) who rides his very fast and manages to keep it from scraping in the corners.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
I think the "why not just get a Strom?" folks are missing the point. It assumes a motorcycle is fundamentally more capable that an equivalently priced and same-technology scooter. And in preformance that's generally true.

But in many areas, the scooter is fundamentally a more capable vehicle. It has more storage, more weather protection, and more comfort. In short, it has more utility for many applications, particularly for urban environments. They're easier to live with and use day to day.

With the gas prices staying high, we should see people start to view motorcycles as a practical solution to transportation needs, not as simply sport and recreational vehicles to have fun on. As this occurs, the scooters should be able to support higher and higher price points.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #18
Tifighter OP
thread killer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
The cornering clearance isn't bad. I have a friend (Lycheed on the Burgman USA site) who rides his very fast and manages to keep it from scraping in the corners.
Hey, get Lycheed over here on this forum. I like to hear about more JDM big scoots besides Burgmans...
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 PM   #19
twinrider
pass the catnip

I'll let him know the scoot forum's been opened. If you have any specific questions on Japan-market scoots I might also be able to help.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #20
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,063
When Yamaha brings the T-Max over to the US, then we'll truly know its "game-on." That thing is cool.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:22 AM   #21
Knighthawk
Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer: 21,865
FWIW, the Burgman is VERY comfortable. This is one of its biggest selling points.

You see quite a few over here in Germany, mostly an older crowd. I ran into one couple last year in Garmisch from Denmark. He was 67, wife was 65, and they were having the time of their life touring the Alps on their Burgman.

"Make sure you got clean underwear," Mom always said. I always figured that'd be the least of my worries, but now I'm older, I see there's a lot you can't control and some you can control and clean underwear is one of those you can...for the most part.
Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #22
twinrider
pass the catnip

The T-Max is the most popular over 250cc scoot in Tokyo by far. Just about every one has an aftermarket pipe so it must make the owner feel like he's on a sportsbike. The T-Max is supposed to handle better than the Burgman because of its greater ground clearance but the Burger will out accelerate it. I considered getting one but it's got much less underseat storage, less wind protection and a seat height that had me on my toes -- hey, that ground clearance has to come from somewhere
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 10-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #23
jdiaz

Quote:
The T-Max is the most popular over 250cc scoot in Tokyo by far. Just about every one has an aftermarket pipe so it must make the owner feel like he's on a sportsbike.
Yeah, every one of them over here seems to have an Arrow muffler on it.

Jon
Old 10-05-2005, 05:39 AM   #24
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Apparently there's a market. I guess.

I wonder what the research showed? Re-entry riders? Noobs? Older riders? People wanting an automatic? The euro market?

Apparently they are people with bigass limits on their VISA card.
I think there's always the non motorcycle riding scooteristas that want a larger bike. They don't consider a motorcycle an option, and merely want a bigger version of what they've got.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:49 AM   #25
jdiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I think there's always the non motorcycle riding scooteristas that want a larger bike. They don't consider a motorcycle an option, and merely want a bigger version of what they've got.
It easier to load a big scooter on the back of a motor home than a regular motorcycle IMO.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:06 AM   #26
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Great Burgman forum
www.burgmanusa.com
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 AM   #27
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,250
Quote:
I'll let him know the scoot forum's been opened. If you have any specific questions on Japan-market scoots I might also be able to help.
Excellent.

I'd like to hear more about 'em.

Is the european/japan market driving these things and the US is just getting their first whiff of 'em?

I remember getting ahold of the Helix when it first came out. Everyone at the dealership thought it was a blast--bigass trunk, and the sensation you were floating along on it. I suppose I should get my butt on a Burgman.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #28
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,110
Imagine a burgman out on the track, i know i wouldn't be surprised to see a tmax out on the track. I like very fast street riding and if the burger could handle this, I'd definitely be in. Not so much concerned with the straights as I am with smoking around the corners. I've always been an underdog so that usually ends up being the type of bike I like. Giant killers. I just don't see the burgman hanging around corners with a supermoto bike.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #29
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Burgies might not be super moto killers but there's nary a dresser Harley in my parts that can smoke the mighty AN650 in a corner (or straight away for that matter)
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #30
Tifighter OP
thread killer

Oddometer: 473
Actually, a UK magazine did a supertest of big scoots recently where the object was to take the scoots to a local track day and see how many superbikes they could tally up as kills while lapping. Both the Silver wing and B 650 did well; they each passed something like 30+ bikes. The testers said that while the bikes could pull on the straights, the scoots could pass on the turns because they could take them full throttle.

There is someone on the burgmanusa site that has this article as a downloadable pdf file; it is entertaining.
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote