ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #31
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Wow! This is posted to the Okanogan County Firestorm 2014 fb page by Laura Clark, four hours ago:

"I want to share a good story with you all.
My friends did not end up losing their home. Their house had been threatened three times in the process of the fire, but each time the fire backed down and they were okay again. Gebbers sent one of their guys and a tractor up there and cut a fire line around their area. Yesterday afternoon the man went back up there on the advice that they should be okay now. While there, the fire took another run at them and the two neighbors' houses. It didn't look good or hopeful. Suddenly out of nowhere a volunteer Native American fire crew from Billings, Montana appears complete with a water truck. The crew had my friend and the neighbor leave the area and took on the fire. The entire area burned around them, but the crew saved all three houses! These men and women heard we were in a bad situation, gathered their gear and drove straight here. They arrived in Brewster and asked where they were needed. The team in Brewster told them there were some houses in danger right now. They immediately drove up there, after all those hours of prep and travel, and saved these homes. God sent His angels, and they came in the form of Native American Indians from Billings, Montana who volunteered to help complete strangers. Thank you God, thank you to the Gebbers, and a huge thanks to those wonderful people who saved those houses! Thank you Randy Knowlton for cutting that fire line. You are a true hero!"

81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #32
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 167
Wow, thanks for sharing that story. We lived in Brewster in 2009-11 and worked for the Gebbers. We knew the Knowltons and wondered how the houses at the top of Paradise Hill were doing. The fire line looked like it came pretty close.

We rode our bikes over most of that area between Winthrop and Okanogan and Chelan and knew practically every mile of those backroads. In my mind's eye I see all the houses along those roads and wonder if they survived. So much history is lost in the old lookouts and mill sites as well. The Gebbers have timber and cattle in that land behind Brewster all the way up to the USFS border. Can't imagine how life is going to get back to normal for anyone there any time soon. Their livelihood is gone, if not disrupted, for a long time.
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #33
xellic
-----+-----

Oddometer: 2,312
This is Tumwater Canyon outside Leavenworth

Wow

xellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #34
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

I saw that pic posted above earlier today, it's an amazing photo. Looks like a volcano.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #35
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGS View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that story. We lived in Brewster in 2009-11 and worked for the Gebbers. We knew the Knowltons and wondered how the houses at the top of Paradise Hill were doing. The fire line looked like it came pretty close.

We rode our bikes over most of that area between Winthrop and Okanogan and Chelan and knew practically every mile of those backroads. In my mind's eye I see all the houses along those roads and wonder if they survived. So much history is lost in the old lookouts and mill sites as well. The Gebbers have timber and cattle in that land behind Brewster all the way up to the USFS border. Can't imagine how life is going to get back to normal for anyone there any time soon. Their livelihood is gone, if not disrupted, for a long time.
I think you are right about that. The summer-dependent tourism economy is going to take a major hit as well. Can't believe the Winthrop Rhythm and Blues festival still took place while there was power.

I'm looking forward to getting over there on the street bike to spend some tourist dollars ASAP.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #36
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
Drove up to Pateros this evening and then a short ways up to the Methow Valley as far as the town of Methow....its grim and that's just from the highway. Took some pics, but won't get them up until tomorrow. One bit of good news is the Osprey nest close to the substation near the confluence of the Methow and Columbia Rivers (junction 97 & 153)...survived!!! I'd been observing them for several weeks now. The power folks were already putting up poles and stringing new lines to begin restoring power up the valley (this may take several weeks to finish) near the substation across from the nest site. One of the guys stopped to talk to me about the Ospreys - apparently they like to build nests on the power poles - so when the PUD find a pair doing so they quick put up pole and platform for them, retrieving the sticks, strings and other debris that passes for a nest for an Osprey. putting them on the new location. (Osprey nests are more utilitarian than elegant). It was the one bit of happiness I found on my drive - the beauty of that area is ravaged, so many homes, gone. Power poles burned to the ground with the cross beams just hanging in the air, the sound of generators reverberates through Pateros, Black Canyon burned....and this thing is still 100% NOT CONTAINED. Drove by Antoine Creek and can see the fire actively burning there at around 1900 today. The prevailing winds should keep it moving away from us - but if the winds change ... or another round of lightening storms kick up - it is going to be an ugly ugly scenario.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!

svizzerams screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 09:44 PM
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #37
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
Drone aircraft video of the Carlton Pateros Brewster Fire Devastation 2014.

http://vimeo.com/101148473
I fought some serious fires all over the state of California in the early 80's, I never saw devastation to populated areas like this.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #38
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Drone aircraft video of the Carlton Pateros Brewster Fire Devastation 2014.

http://vimeo.com/101148473
I fought some serious fires all over the state of California in the early 80's, I never saw devastation to populated areas like this.
That video absolutely blew my mind, thanks for posting it. Unbelievable! I have been through Pateros probably hundreds of times, and I really don't recognize any of that landscape. So weird.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #39
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post
Drove up to Pateros this evening and then a short ways up to the Methow Valley as far as the town of Methow....its grim and that's just from the highway. Took some pics, but won't get them up until tomorrow. One bit of good news is the Osprey nest close to the substation near the confluence of the Methow and Columbia Rivers (junction 97 & 153)...survived!!! I'd been observing them for several weeks now. The power folks were already putting up poles and stringing new lines to begin restoring power up the valley (this may take several weeks to finish) near the substation across from the nest site. One of the guys stopped to talk to me about the Ospreys - apparently they like to build nests on the power poles - so when the PUD find a pair doing so they quick put up pole and platform for them, retrieving the sticks, strings and other debris that passes for a nest for an Osprey. putting them on the new location. (Osprey nests are more utilitarian than elegant). It was the one bit of happiness I found on my drive - the beauty of that area is ravaged, so many homes, gone. Power poles burned to the ground with the cross beams just hanging in the air, the sound of generators reverberates through Pateros, Black Canyon burned....and this thing is still 100% NOT CONTAINED. Drove by Antoine Creek and can see the fire actively burning there at around 1900 today. The prevailing winds should keep it moving away from us - but if the winds change ... or another round of lightening storms kick up - it is going to be an ugly ugly scenario.
Love your description of the Osprey nest. A bit of life clinging to all the charred waste. Thanks for the report.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #40
ADVwnbe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Inmate Lost House

Hey folks just wanted to let you know that one of the inmates here ( michaelyogi ) lost his house in Carlton and everything he owns, possibly even his ride. He wanted me to let folks know who know him that he and his gal robin are ok, their animals are all ok and they are insured and will rebuild!

BTW I live in Leavenworth and although that picture of the Tumwater Canyon on fire looks amazing and scary we have no problems here other than a detour through Plain if we want to go over Stevens Pass. And compared to the Methow we are in no peril. Please focus on them!!

PW
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #41
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Thank you for sharing this! So glad he and his animals made it and are looking ahead. I can not imagine what they must be feeling like, probably total exhaustion.

Please tell him to post in here when he gets a chance, I'm sure there are many of us that would like to lend him a hand if we can.

I am reading lots of urgent messages on the MV Fire Info page regarding veterinary services and supplies needed. Apparently there are a lot of animals, mostly horses, that have been injured from getting caught up in barbed wire... :(

81forest screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 10:51 AM
Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #42
Jeelf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The link below starts Gmap4 (I am the developer) and shows an online map and will always display the most recent publically available data for the Methow area fires. This fire data comes straight from the GeoMAC server. GeoMAC is an interagency group whose main purpose is to prepare specialized maps for the fire teams. The GeoMAC data also feeds the InciWeb site.

You can zoom/pan the map to also see other fires.

To see the high resolution topographic map, change the basemap to "t4 Topo High" and zoom in. To see wind data from 3 hours ago, open the basemap menu, go down to the overlay section and turn on the wind layer. You can also view a layer showing the weather radar.

For some info about using the map and to see the map legends, click the “About” link in the upper left corner.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...z=10&t=h,Fires

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA
Jeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #43
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Cool link! How do you see historical fire data?
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #44
Jeelf
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Cool link! How do you see historical fire data?
This link displays the layers of data on the GeoMAC server. Yes they have some historical stuff.
http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/ArcGIS/r..._dyn/MapServer

And here is a link that starts Gmap4 and displays layer 19 "Historic Fire Perimeters"
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...ansparent=true

Here is the map legend. Scroll down for #19:
http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/arcgis/r...pServer/legend

To see how to make your own Gmap4 links to display GIS data:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_gis-viewer.html
Plain English instructions! No computer-babble.

The best Gmap4 docs are on the beta page:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta.html

Joseph
Jeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #45
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeelf View Post
The link below starts Gmap4 (I am the developer) and shows an online map and will always display the most recent publically available data for the Methow area fires. This fire data comes straight from the GeoMAC server. GeoMAC is an interagency group whose main purpose is to prepare specialized maps for the fire teams. The GeoMAC data also feeds the InciWeb site.

You can zoom/pan the map to also see other fires.

To see the high resolution topographic map, change the basemap to "t4 Topo High" and zoom in. To see wind data from 3 hours ago, open the basemap menu, go down to the overlay section and turn on the wind layer. You can also view a layer showing the weather radar.

For some info about using the map and to see the map legends, click the “About” link in the upper left corner.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...z=10&t=h,Fires

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
Redmond, WA
Amazing! Thanks for the link, looks like a lot of work to develop something like that. Excellent.