ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #76
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyogi View Post
So we are presently moving into a place. We got all our animals and us in one place til next spring. I plan on taking the Husky to Tasky's so they can look it over and assess the damage. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your home, but sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. Truly admirable!

I have heard news from a couple of other friends who lost everything, one in particular that was renting a place up Loup Loup pass and just barely had time to get his family in the car when the fire came. Lost every item that they weren't carrying when they got in the car, and as renters I don't think they were insured.

Hope that Husky fire victim survives to roost another day.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #77
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
I have heard news from a couple of other friends who lost everything, one in particular that was renting a place up Loup Loup pass and just barely had time to get his family in the car when the fire came. Lost every item that they weren't carrying when they got in the car, and as renters I don't think they were insured.
So many stories just like this. The fire was everywhere... you just never knew where it was... and then it was just there... and pissed! So you ran... when fire fighters run, you should un-ass the AO with them... Sometimes they never even got a chance to get in to warn folks... or just didn't have enough people to warn folks.
The last time it came at us, we had no warning. Well, we had smoke and flames to warn us...
Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #78
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
So many stories just like this. The fire was everywhere... you just never knew where it was... and then it was just there... and pissed! So you ran... when fire fighters run, you should un-ass the AO with them... Sometimes they never even got a chance to get in to warn folks... or just didn't have enough people to warn folks.
The last time it came at us, we had no warning. Well, we had smoke and flames to warn us...
I rode through Brewster Flat on Sun...moonscape :-( But what I found in Pateros was pretty awesome: Team Rubicon is here!!! This is an organization that engages veterans to respond to disasters to provide help with recovery efforts. I am familiar with them from an aid project I worked with in Burma four years ago where a team was deployed to train medics surgical skills in a conflict zone. They will assist anyone but will prioritize veterans. They are there to help especially with site rehab (removal of debris etc). If you need this kind of assistance Michaelyogi - you might contact them in Pateros. Can't miss the trailer!

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #79
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
I lost the Husky.
Bike before the house.
Priorities!
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #80
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
michaelyogi, main thing is you and your family all got out. Stuff can be replaced.

Let us know if you need any help. Maybe an ADV rally and homebuilding party next spring?

1911fan
Wow.

Yogi, I 2nd this. I don't know you, but just name the weekend and I'll be there with a truck full of tools to help.
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #81
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
Still seems like a good idea. I'm ok at plumbing, can hang drywall, lay carpet, and do rough carpentry. Got a bunch of tools and a truck, and I figured within the PNW community there are a lot of people with equal or better skills. Think of a barnraising, but modernized.
We'll get a Portapotty or two, everybody bring your own barbecue and ice chest, and we'll work all day and then tell lies around the campfire all night.
Labor Day weekend?

1911fan

PS: michaelyogi, this is really up to you.

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #82
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Still seems like a good idea. I'm ok at plumbing, can hang drywall, lay carpet, and do rough carpentry. Got a bunch of tools and a truck, and I figured within the PNW community there are a lot of people with equal or better skills. Think of a barnraising, but modernized.
We'll get a Portapotty or two, everybody bring your own barbecue and ice chest, and we'll work all day and then tell lies around the campfire all night.
Labor Day weekend?

1911fan

PS: michaelyogi, this is really up to you.
I'm totAlly in. We would be happy to help.
EntiatRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #83
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntiatRider View Post
I'm totAlly in. We would be happy to help.
Michaelyogi you may or may not need the help but if you can use it, I'd be more than happy to give a weekend as well.

Following the methow valley news, I'm amazed that several new fires have popped up and threatened Twisp and Winthrop (again) in the last few days, totally separate from the Carlton complex fire. From what I hear, residents are bewildered and exhausted.

I didn't realize how fast and powerful these fires were until I watched this video. "1000 foot fire-licks" is heard from one of the firefighters. Holy smokes!!:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1173041376

81forest screwed with this post 08-03-2014 at 07:18 PM
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #84
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,915
I was in Winthrop Saturday afternoon when the storm hit - got real dark, then all hell broke loose with wind, torrential rain, thunder and lightning. Lights were flickering on and off downtown, trees were toppled all over closing roads and knocking out power lines (some houses spared by fire were damaged by downed trees....). I took a "back road" out of town back toward Pateros and then the ash and dust were blowing in so thick it was hard to see - this didn't clear up until I was almost into Chelan. Crazy times.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #85
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Carlton Complex Fire

I appreciate the offers of help, very much so. The recovery/rebuild will be a bit long term. The initial effort this summer will concentrate on cleaning up the house, barn, hay shed and restoration of our land. Next spring we will move back to our land to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #86
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Carlton Complex Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Bike before the house.
Priorities!

Guns, I had the bike evac'd at first. Then moved it back when the area looked safe. I thought it might be handy to have nearby to scout the fire lines and to keep an eye on the Cougar Flats fire, which seemed to be our main threat at the time. Unfortunately the fire around our house decided it was not done yet and sparked across the lines. It gave us only 30 minutes to get out. Even then we had to drive through flames to escape.
And it's not over yet. The place we are now in has two fires burning near by. This fire season really sucks. I want to go skiing.
The story is much longer than this but I'm operating off my iPhone so it's the short version for now.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #87
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Guns, I had the bike evac'd at first. Then moved it back when the area looked safe. I thought it might be handy to have nearby to scout the fire lines and to keep an eye on the Cougar Flats fire, which seemed to be our main threat at the time. Unfortunately the fire around our house decided it was not done yet and sparked across the lines. It gave us only 30 minutes to get out. Even then we had to drive through flames to escape.
And it's not over yet. The place we are now in has two fires burning near by. This fire season really sucks. I want to go skiing.
The story is much longer than this but I'm operating off my iPhone so it's the short version for now.

Are local building officials and insurance companies going to help residents expedite things for rebuilding, or has that even been looked at yet?
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #88
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Lots of relief agencies and efforts here now. Our insurance company has been great so far. We'll see how that progresses. Things are still unsettled here as fire fighting efforts progress. We've had a few new starts and a few more homes destroyed. Folks are just starting to get the paperwork in order. Lots of paperwork.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #89
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
...several new fires have popped up and threatened Twisp and Winthrop (again) in the last few days, totally separate from the Carlton complex fire. From what I hear, residents are bewildered and exhausted.

I didn't realize how fast and powerful these fires were until I watched this video. "1000 foot fire-licks" is heard from one of the firefighters. Holy smokes!!:https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1173041376
1000' might be a story... but they were certainly big ones out there... things that remind you of the classic depictions of hell... the smaller demons and minions out front... something much more sinister and deadly BIG behind... and moving fast.
We got another fire in our new neighborhood right now and the weather report... weelll frankly, SUX!
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...0#.U-QaSUj2Iy4.
I'm tired of the uncertainty. At least I can move quickly now days... not much stuff and practice, practice, practice. Life of a first world refugee.
I don't have internet at the new digs... I get on here when I can. L8r.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #90
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
1000' might be a story... but they were certainly big ones out there... things that remind you of the classic depictions of hell... the smaller demons and minions out front... something much more sinister and deadly BIG behind... and moving fast.
We got another fire in our new neighborhood right now and the weather report... weelll frankly, SUX!
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...0#.U-QaSUj2Iy4.
I'm tired of the uncertainty. At least I can move quickly now days... not much stuff and practice, practice, practice. Life of a first world refugee.
I don't have internet at the new digs... I get on here when I can. L8r.

Well I hope you stay safe. A couple of posts back you said you were going to take the 310 to Taskys to see if it could be saved. It is a small thing, but if you need a seat I have a stock one you can have.