Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #31
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
Hi Blixa, I'm so glad I spotted your RR. What a beautiful ride! I need to get back there, I've never been to Chesapeake Bay. This is my first trip that didn't include camping and I gotta say...... I'll book mark this so I have where you stayed and rode.

Looooove crab, out here it's dungeness. Mmmmmmmm.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I love your RRs - always looking forward to the next one. Whether you're in a tent or under a roof, if you got there on a bike, it's a good time

I haven't had dungeness crab yet, but it's on the list!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #32
Wal2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
thanks, excellent ride and pics, really enjoyed it....another interesting bit of the US to explore if I ever get there.....

Wal2 screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 04:15 PM
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #33
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wal2 View Post
thanks, excellent ride and pics, really enjoyed it....another interesting bit of the US to explore if I ever get there.....
Much appreciated, Wal2!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #34
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,408
Outstanding!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #35
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
Outstanding!
Thank you!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #36
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
That was a trip down memory lane. Thanks! I grew up on the bay and visited many of those spots via a 14' runabout as a teenager.

I have this sudden hankering for blue crab, bluefish, salty air, and a cold one. :)
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #37
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post

I have this sudden hankering for blue crab, bluefish, salty air, and a cold one. :)
Now I do too. And it's only 8:06 in the morning.

I'm glad you enjoyed the RR. It seems like quite a few ADVers grew up on the Eastern Shore. I was not so fortunate, but I try to visit whenever I can.

I recently went exploring up around the northern part of the Eastern Shore - I began my trip in Chesapeake City and worked my way down 213 (very scenic) to beautiful Chestertown. Then hopped on 20 to Rock Hall, and then 445 down to the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge. I couldn't see much of the water from the main road through the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge (unlike Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge), but there were many hiking trails that would get you near the water. I ended the day by catching the sunset off Matapeake Fishing Pier in Stevensville. It was a nice day trip and the towns I mentioned are definitely worth a visit. Just a suggestion if any of you have an interest in exploring more of the Eastern Shore.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #38
LudemJo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
This RR has inspired me to take my wife for a ride in the area for her 50th birthday. We ride two-up on a HD Electraglide. We are planning on taking three days, October 3, 4, and 5, leaving Leesburg on Friday and riding to the Inn you mentioned and using that as our base for two nights. We will do the run to Hooper Island and the wildlife preserve on Saturday, then find a mandering route back to Leesburg on Sunday.

Do you recall how much the ferry trip was per bike/passenger? I am looking forward to seeing many of the sights you mentioned, the Maritiime Museum in particular. Besides Salty's and the Steak and Seafood place, any other restaraunts that you would recommend?

Your RR was the inspiration I needed. We typically ride in the mountains of Northern Virginia and West Virginia and had not thought too much about the Eastern Shore that is literally on our doorstep. Sometimes we don't think about the treasures that are close by in our dreams for adventure that seem to all too often focus on distant areas that are equally distant in our chances of visiting.

Thanks for the great RR. Now if I can just find an interesting route from Leesburg to the Bay Bridge that doesn't involve the stupid beltway...

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #39
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudemJo View Post
This RR has inspired me to take my wife for a ride in the area for her 50th birthday. We ride two-up on a HD Electraglide. We are planning on taking three days, October 3, 4, and 5, leaving Leesburg on Friday and riding to the Inn you mentioned and using that as our base for two nights. We will do the run to Hooper Island and the wildlife preserve on Saturday, then find a mandering route back to Leesburg on Sunday.

Do you recall how much the ferry trip was per bike/passenger? I am looking forward to seeing many of the sights you mentioned, the Maritiime Museum in particular. Besides Salty's and the Steak and Seafood place, any other restaraunts that you would recommend?

Your RR was the inspiration I needed. We typically ride in the mountains of Northern Virginia and West Virginia and had not thought too much about the Eastern Shore that is literally on our doorstep. Sometimes we don't think about the treasures that are close by in our dreams for adventure that seem to all too often focus on distant areas that are equally distant in our chances of visiting.

Thanks for the great RR. Now if I can just find an interesting route from Leesburg to the Bay Bridge that doesn't involve the stupid beltway...

John
Thank you for the kind words. I'm happy to provide inspiration whenever I can. The good thing about living in NOVA is that we have the mountains, the ocean and the bay only a few hours from home. And although it doesn't take long to get there, the Eastern Shore of MD really does feel far away.

I checked the website for the ferry (http://www.oxfordferry.com/ in case there are any changes to the schedule/rates) - it says it's $6/bike + $1 for the passenger one-way. Round trip it's $9 + $1 for the passenger. It starts at 9 am in Oxford and runs until sunset.

Old Salty's is the only restaurant on Hoopers Island. I remember it took a little while to get seated, but once we were, the waitress was wonderful.

Recommended dining stops in St. Michaels - if crabs aren't your thing, St. Michaels has a lot of really nice, romantic restaurants. Ava's Pizzeria and Wine Bar (not a hole-in-the-wall pizza place), Theo's Steaks, Sides and Spirits, and 208 Talbot are really popular. There are many options to choose from on the main strip (Talbot St.). There's also a brewery - Eastern Shore Brewery - right on Talbot. These suggestions are all within walking distance from the Inn. If you walk along the back of the Inn (by the water) and head east, you can cut through the parking lot of the Maritime Museum to get to Talbot St. without having to walk on 33 (there's no sidewalk in front of the Inn on 33). If you feel like staying in, the Inn has a restaurants that has really good reviews (I think it's called Sherwood Landing).

On Tilghman Island, there are a few seafood places that have good reps - Two if by Sea and Mike and Eric's Bay Hundred Restaurant. I haven't been to either, but hope to check them out one day. I really wanted to go to the Harrison's Chesapeake House crab deck on Tilghman, but didn't want to ride the bike back after a few beers. I hear it's a little grimy though, but ideal for a crab deck.

Also, further back on 50, Easton is a really nice town if you want to stretch your legs on the way. If you park on Washington Street and wander around, there are quite a few nice restaurants and sights to see. It's a good place for a stroll.

I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebration. I don't think it gets much more romantic than a bike ride with your honey and a stay at the Inn. I know she'll love it.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #40
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,670
Great RR, Blixa. I used to live in MD, and always enjoyed trips to the Eastern Shore. I've seen blue crabs in New Mexico only once in the last 11 years, and they were, all wrong. Thanks for taking me back.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #41
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
Great RR, Blixa. I used to live in MD, and always enjoyed trips to the Eastern Shore. I've seen blue crabs in New Mexico only once in the last 11 years, and they were, all wrong. Thanks for taking me back.
You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #42
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,582
Awesome ride report, looks like you both had a great time!

Thanks for taking us along

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
Blixa OP
Derelicte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Awesome ride report, looks like you both had a great time!

Thanks for taking us along
Hey Dubl-A
Thank you!