User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #31
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308

great move, Rad!

The BMW dealer here started carrying Vespas recently and sold 26 the first month. I've hung out there a bit and watched people come in to buy them--some fresh out of MSF, others who have had no other contact with motorcycling at all. The dealership apparently didn't know that scooters were considered motorcycles in NC and people were sent home with a lid and not much else. I overheard a salesman (one of the ones who felt insulted by their presence) say something to the effect that they wouldn't go fast. The Vespa 200 can hit 85+ and the first 40mph come pretty quick.

I've seen girls that apparently are trying to do the "cute" thing (lifestyle ads contribute to this) with the short skirt, heels, and so on. Watched one hit a curb in DC and nearly faceplant. Same "cute" uniform.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #32
MooreRon
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
True story, it happened about an hour ago.

On my commute in to work I pass by the entrance of UCSC as I head up into the Santa Cruz Mountains. I pull up next to a cute young girl on a scooter wear'n a skirt, clogs, no gloves and light jacket with the state required DOT helmet. It is about 40 degrees out and I point to her legs (they are very cute) and give the universal shiver motion and say, you look cold. She very sweetly chatters back, “yes I am”. Before the signal changes I find out she has had the scooter 1 week and this is her first "commute" on it. I politely suggest at least some gloves and shoes that will stay on if she has to put her foot down. I usually try not to give unsolicited advice to fellow motorists. She agreed and asked for suggestions of where to get them. I was pleased with her response and gave her a few quick suggestions and wished her well as the light changed.

The interaction made me think that as a fellow rider and MSF coach I could/should do something to help with what looks like a no-gear-scooter-new-rider thing go’n on in my town. I decided I would contact our local beat reporter, who I know well, from our local paper and suggest her paper consider do'n a feature on where to get training, etc for all the new riders on the road as a result of gas prices.

Great story and excellent suggestion, Rad!

But next time post pictures!
MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #33
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I'm still not gettin' the mirror thing.
think Harleys & chrome

they used to call 'em budgie mirrors
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #34
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
think Harleys & chrome

they used to call 'em budgie mirrors
Makes it look like a chrome peacock, IMHO. I haven't figured out what direction I'm gonna go with the Stella yet in terms of an authentic scheme. A

The local britbike guys would kick my arse otherwise. They are SERIOUS about the culture. I love it.

I worked up an "Ace Cafe" helmet design--logo on either side, checkerboard down the middle, union jack in the back, back when I was seriously thinking about an Enfield. After checking out Davida classic prices I backed off--but it was fun doing the research on the history. A couple local Ton-Up guys have got it nailed and they look like they stepped out of the 60's, but then again, that's what they wear daily on their commutes.

One of 'em absolutely dustedme on my GS one day--he was on a Norton that's wicked-fast off the line. Had the Davida lid, rotting old leather jacket, and leather pouch slung across his back. Freakin' gorgeous sight to behold.

I may still buy a Royal Enfield with the cafe option.

About half the "mod" contingent around here does the Tiki Lounge thing. Weeeeeird.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #35
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
The interaction made me think that as a fellow rider and MSF coach I could/should do something to help with what looks like a no-gear-scooter-new-rider thing go’n on in my town. I decided I would contact our local beat reporter, who I know well, from our local paper and suggest her paper consider do'n a feature on where to get training, etc for all the new riders on the road as a result of gas prices.
Nice.

I generally wear my full-face, gloves, a leather jacket, boots and jeans. But for some reason, I've recently started wearing the full stitch. I look like a traffic cone, but I love the 'Stich so much I feel naked without it.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #36
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Flip flops and a straw hat if it's sunny. I used to ride my BMW RS with flip flops, but my feet always got too hot. Not a problem on the Ruckus, they engineered it RIGHT.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #37
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I love this thing:

Icon Mil-Spec vest.

I wear it just about all the time. Definately have it stuffed in the glovebox or jesse if it's not. Seems to be a bunch of folks in the equipment forum that are singing its praises as well.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:52 PM   #38
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
I love this thing:

Icon Mil-Spec vest.

I wear it just about all the time. Definately have it stuffed in the glovebox or jesse if it's not.
That must be some great glow stuff that vest has go'n for it, if it works from inside a Jesse bag
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #39
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
That must be some great glow stuff that vest has go'n for it, if it works from inside a Jesse bag
yeah, I can hear it screaming... "let me out this left side bag before I MELT."

But I do wear it a lot...'bout 90% of the time.

In the beginning it was like being a kid being told to wear mittens..."yes mom" and then stuffing 'em in your coat pockets. "Aw, mom...the other kids will make fun of me."

Like I like. Yep.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #40
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
In the beginning it was like being a kid being told to wear mittens..."yes mom" and then stuffing 'em in your coat pockets. "Aw, mom...the other kids will make fun of me."
My sad beginning in motorcycling at 15 yrs old; no helmet law at the time in California but there was one in my house. I rode every day to high school and would stop 4 blocks from my house and hide my helmet in the bushes at the park and then get it and put it back on before I got home

BTW, I wore sandals, shorts, no gloves and a T-shirt….It was So-Cal, after all

What a marooooon I was
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #41
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 474
I wear my Stitch on my Yamaha. It's the perfect Seattle jacket anyhow, and the pavement doesn't care what I'm riding at 60mph. Of course, the Majesty is more like a touring bike than a scooter and weighs more then a lot of bikes...
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #42
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 21,155

Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #43
Twinman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
[QUOTE=Photog]: I overheard a salesman (one of the ones who felt insulted by their presence) say something to the effect that they wouldn't go fast. The Vespa 200 can hit 85+ and the first 40mph come pretty quick.
QUOTE]

A Ducati PR guy used a Suzuki Bergman 650 to all but keep up with a bunch of journalists testing the Multistrada when it was released in Italy. They were riding twisty rural roads, from town to town. The journalist was surprised enough to make note of it in his article. The Bergman 650 is sold in Australia but it's considerably heavier and more expensive than a SV650S.
Twinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #44
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostNfound

Along with the latest pocket protector.(he! he!)

Ride Safe,
Vettster
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #45
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Scooter attire seems to be all over the map...

Overdressed perhaps?

Pure style comes in pairs?

The King rides again... albeit w/o his Caddy this time.

Go scooter girl... go....

And finally.... check out momma's bags!

gas_pig70 screwed with this post 10-07-2005 at 02:43 AM
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote