Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
David4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Tr6's are beautiful machines VW. It will be a swell ride, get going..! I used tapered bearings on my build.

Before and after...

It's a great bike VW..! dave
1969 Triumph T100R Daytona
David4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
you ruined the patina, David

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
David4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
you ruined the patina, david

lol!
1969 Triumph T100R Daytona
David4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
This place never ceases to amaze me. What a great community where people I don't know are offering parts to help this project. I greatly appreciate it. I am pretty sure the bike is complete as I have a few boxes of parts that go with it.

Also thanks for all the inspiration. Those are all some beautiful bikes!!

Doug that bag looks pretty awesome. Their show bike on the website reminds me of my Bonnie

This weekend I was working on getting the front wheel ready for when the neck bearings get here so I can actually assemble everything. Mainly I wanted to repack the wheel bearings. This is not a restoration. Just a clean up and get reliable so some times I have to stop myself from pulling off brackets and powder coating them. Speaking of patina, I actually want to keep the patina on this bike so I am a little disappointed that all those years ago I pulled apart the front end and primed everything. I kind of have to follow through with that now.

The bearing and grease actually looked fine but new grease wont hurt and at least I know.

While working on the wheel I was trying to figure out how to clean up the hub. The riveted plate was painted silver and I'm not sure if that was original or not. Again, I have to stop myself from ordering stainless spokes and taking the wheel apart. I realized I had a soda blaster that I bought years ago and never really used so I got that out. Man is that the perfect thing to clean up aluminum and chrome wheels. It left the perfect brushed aluminum finish on those parts and it would just wipe away rust on the rim. I had started polishing the rim by hand but this thing would just blow the rust off the spoke nipples way better than I was going to get by hand.

I was going to put the tire on at work but the rim is so rusty under the tire I will have to blast it first.

Well this makes things easier to clean

nice and clean after maybe two minutes in the hot tank

vwluv10338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

Got a little more work done but not much. I have my daughter this week so I don't have much garage time. She is 2 so I have to keep a close eye on her and she cant exactly help.

Installing the roller bearing kit was super easy. Used a long brass punch and a random disc from my bearing press kit.

When I tried to do a dry fit I couldn't get the shaft through the bearing. It was obvious the dust shield was just interfering by a few thousandths but it was tight enough I was worried about the threads. I started with 220 grit sand paper and was getting close but I didn't feel like I was making progress fast enough. Decided to step up to a larger and faster tool

Skimmed a few thousandths and it was good to go.

Moved on to the fender with original paint. The bike came with a plastic black fender and this one was in the box. I want to strip the brown paint off and just run the original paint on the bike the best I can, flaws and all.

Before I started messing around with a little rubbing compound.

Hopefully my tape line shows up well in the pics

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

Just posting some motivation for myself since it's a little quiet in here. Hopefully I will get some work don't this weekend. I had my daughter last week so I don't have much time to wrench.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwluv10338 View Post
Just posting some motivation for myself since it's a little quiet in here. Hopefully I will get some work don't this weekend. I had my daughter last week so I don't have much time to wrench.
Ted Simon would be proud of you.

You've got the right idea, polishing up that old paint. It looks great.

Kevin

Twotaildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

Well I got a little side tracked. With a solo seat on my Bonnie I can't take anyone for rides. As a newly single man this is unacceptable. My old seat cover was in bad shape which is part of the reason for the new solo seat. I pulled out my old stock seat and looked around the garage to see what I could do. I looked in my trailer waiting to go to the dump and found the rear seat leathers I had ordered for the Supra but that mice ate in my garage before I could install them. Had I not waited so long they would have been fine but I was going to have to throw them away. A few sheet metal screws later and vola!!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

And back to the Trophy

Front wheel together. It took every fiber in my being not to pull all the brake levers off and powder coat them because that's not what this build is about.

Looks better than before

Shiny.

Now this is Eastwoods Ceramic Chassis black 2K in satin. I had a hard time shooting it the first time but I have shot paint in years. It says use a 1.3 - 1.7 tip and my gun had a 1.4 in it so maybe that was part of the issue. I didn't like the finish so I sanded and shot another coat thinned a bit. Now I wanted satin so I'm not sure why it turned out so glossy.

Stainless steel upgrades

Almost a roller but I needed to get some sleep.

vwluv10338 screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 02:44 PM
Old 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #25
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

So I found this in the box of parts. I would guess the bike got a little freshening up with rings and classic 70's gold/copper paint around the same time

Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #26
vwluv10338 OP
Adventurer

Well now I am stuck. Apparently the bolts stripped a bit coming out of the forks so I am waiting now on tools. Stupid British thread.