ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 953
Vancouver Island

I live in Portland and thinking about riding 101 as far north as I can then pickup the nearest ferry to Vancouver island and then try to ride around it as best as I can. However, after looking at a map, there doesn't seem to be a road that simply goes around the island.
However, there does seem to be a fair amount of gravel roads. So the question, has anyone done much riding on Vancouver Island and if so, what are the roads to ride. I'm riding a KTM 620 (640) so gravel roads are not a problem. Thanks!

ken
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,222
Check out inmate Gunnerbuck's ride reports, he lives up there and puts on the miles.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Monroe, WA
Oddometer: 495
My wife and I have made a few trips to Vancouver Island. The coastal highway (19A) from Nanaimo to Campbell River is fun - as is Hwy. 28 to Gold River. Very scenic and twisty. If you have time, camp at Strathcona Provincial Park. We camped at Ralph River campground on Buttle Lake, which was great.

There are lots of gravel roads in that area that are fun to explore, and you can head north from Gold River to the northern shore via gravel. Not sure about road conditions there - sometimes a bridge can be out.

We've also toured around the Tofino area. The road to Tofino is paved, but not great condition, narrow, and very twisty (i.e., ideal for an ADV bike.)

We haven't gone too far afield off the main roads, but what we've seen so far has been great, and fun riding. (R1200GS and F650GS).
__________________
Monroe, WA
2011 Husaberg FE390
2006 BMW R1200GS
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
hvman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Oddometer: 183
Do a little reseach on current conditions of taking hwy 18 NW of Duncan out past Lake Cowichian to Bamfield, then head to Port Alberni. Its been a lot a years since I was there, but it is really pretty. From Alberni to Tofino is pretty, paved and usually a bunch of traffic, its the closest place for Canadians to see the Pacific coast. North of Cambell River there is some cool stuff, but many hours of pavement lined with tall trees, not much to look at. The ferry over to Powell River makes a fun loop, coming back down the mainland side towards Vancouver.
hvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvman View Post
Do a little reseach on current conditions of taking hwy 18 NW of Duncan out past Lake Cowichian to Bamfield, then head to Port Alberni. Its been a lot a years since I was there, but it is really pretty. From Alberni to Tofino is pretty, paved and usually a bunch of traffic, its the closest place for Canadians to see the Pacific coast. North of Cambell River there is some cool stuff, but many hours of pavement lined with tall trees, not much to look at. The ferry over to Powell River makes a fun loop, coming back down the mainland side towards Vancouver.
Sweet! Thanks for the info from all-I will keep searching. I'm thinking of doing this the first week of Sept
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks
 
Watercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Garlic Gulch, Duwamps Pacific NorWet
Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the info from all-I will keep searching. I'm thinking of doing this the first week of Sept
Check here:

http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/fo...t-Coast-Region

__________________
Get your motor runin' . . . . . "Seek an erection for medical help lasting longer than four hours"

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
mazembe
Adventurer
 
mazembe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 24
First week of Sept should be a great time to visit weather wise and with school back in ( baring no settlement in the teachers strike) it will be less busy on roads at campsites.The route along the coast to Renfrew ,up into Lake Cowichan and out to Bamfield is a great choice.If you do that route plan to stay at the campsite at Pachena Bay.Nice shallow bay that warms up nicely in the summer.Vancouver Island has essentially one north south route with sections of older roads following the south east coast and another main route out to Pacific Rim National Park.There are many kilometres of other routes throughout the island both pavement and gravel with a range of signage.Some good info on the Vancouver Island threads.How long are you planning to spend on the island ?

mazembe screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 05:46 PM
mazembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer
 
Scott_PDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Portland...the newer one on the left side.
Oddometer: 2,731
Did some riding up there a couple of years ago.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721403

I think I heard the Coho Ferry out of Port Angeles occasionally sells out, you might check into reservations. On other trips, I've found 101 in Washington less than inspiring after Raymond. I thought Hood Canal was much prettier. I've heard good things about "Griptwisters Dual Sport Route", that sounds fun.

Once you get to Vancouver Island, I loved it. It was great up there. Keep meaning to do a bigger trip around the Island...maybe next year. You could always check out BC Riders for some tips and contacts up there. I rode from Port Renfrew (Not much there) to Lake Cowichan and that was sure pretty. The lake has full services, as does Port Alberni. Port Alberni to Torfino was one of the prettier rides I've ever done.

TIP - Bring your own alcohol, it's very expensive up there.
__________________
2011 WR250R, 2009 KLR650, 2004 KTM 450 EXC, 2000 R1150GS

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
matloik
kludge
 
matloik's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: PDX | Hood River
Oddometer: 1,227
It's a BIG island. Unless you have at least 2 weeks, or like to ride 8 hrs a day, you won't see the whole thing, coming from Portland. My wife and I rode up there on an 8 day trip, almost 2 years ago, in Sept. It was a great trip. I recommend it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824871
__________________
'08 Versys & '08 450 EXC-R / '11 G650GS & '06 KLX250S (wife's)
Portland Area Off Pavement Rides ~ Hood River Rides ~ Vancouver Island Trip
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazembe View Post
First week of Sept should be a great time to visit weather wise and with school back in ( baring no settlement in the teachers strike) it will be less busy on roads at campsites.The route along the coast to Renfrew ,up into Lake Cowichan and out to Bamfield is a great choice.If you do that route plan to stay at the campsite at Pachena Bay.Nice shallow bay that warms up nicely in the summer.Vancouver Island has essentially one north south route with sections of older roads following the south east coast and another main route out to Pacific Rim National Park.There are many kilometres of other routes throughout the island both pavement and gravel with a range of signage.Some good info on the Vancouver Island threads.How long are you planning to spend on the island ?
Planning on taking a week to do this ride from PDX. I have been look at a few maps and there looks to be many gravel roads to explore. Also, I just discovered that my passport has expired so no I new to put the fire under getting a new one!!
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC

mtbdemon screwed with this post 08-04-2014 at 09:48 AM
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!
 
Sabre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Ferntucky, Washington
Oddometer: 10,778
+1 for the ferry Coho (the Black Ball Line) from Port Angeles. My wife and I enjoy riding to PA, staying at the Downtown Hotel (Google it...great place!), then taking the first sailing in the morning to Victoria. For variety you can plan your return from Nanaimo, either Departure Bay to Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay) or Duke Point to Tsawwassen.
__________________
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
Sabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
K7MDL
TE450, TE610
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 1,552
A few that I have taken were form Port Hardy up to Cape Scott, and to the west coast side on forest roads via Holberg and around part of Quatsino Sound to Winter Harbour. Al very small establishments mind you. One of my favorites roads was the ~1.5-2hr trip each way to Zeballos. IT is just a little eco touring/fishing/logging town. I mean very little, but the particular road scenery was quite good.

My overall favorite place on the island is Barkley Sound with a 55 mile or so hard dirt logging road between Port Alberni and Bamfield. You can catch a water taxi/boat/supply boat (MV Lady Rose I think it is named) to see it more by water or maybe catch a fishing trip as this is prime halibut and salmon season. The area also has killer guided kayak camping trips that you camp out on an island near the surf line and tour around the nook and crannies of the many islands. Awesome trip and I am not a kayaker.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,222
There is still some active logging up there, and they run these wide bunk trucks, which have the right of way, and when loaded on a downgrade, use the old water-cooled brakes. Looks like hell on wheels, with the ground shaking and steam billowing up behind. The sight of one bearing down on you from a blind corner can separate you from your training.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=13

[Borrowed from another thread]
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
mazembe
Adventurer
 
mazembe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 24
The other thing to consider in your route plan is fire closure as we are extremely dry right now and not much rain usually happens before now and the end of September.I did the ,Port Renfrew,Cowichan Lake loop today and explored some gravel roads on my way from Cowichan Lake back to Victoria.I ended up at a locked gate that is manned by a security guard for the logging company .He was not happy at first to see me as they are shut down and trying to keep everyone out.I explain where I came from and that all the other gates were open and saw no signs and he seemed less pissed about it. Alot of the southern half of the island is privately owned forests with a couple of land owners so access can be more restricted. But with the fire danger so high they are understandably more nervous.Main logging roads are part of the highway system and don't get shut.
mazembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
mtbdemon OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazembe View Post
The other thing to consider in your route plan is fire closure as we are extremely dry right now and not much rain usually happens before now and the end of September.I did the ,Port Renfrew,Cowichan Lake loop today and explored some gravel roads on my way from Cowichan Lake back to Victoria.I ended up at a locked gate that is manned by a security guard for the logging company .He was not happy at first to see me as they are shut down and trying to keep everyone out.I explain where I came from and that all the other gates were open and saw no signs and he seemed less pissed about it. Alot of the southern half of the island is privately owned forests with a couple of land owners so access can be more restricted. But with the fire danger so high they are understandably more nervous.Main logging roads are part of the highway system and don't get shut.
Thank you all for the great info! Based on this, should I consider waiting until late Sept to make this trip? Would the weather still be decent? I know thats a tough question as each year is different. I have great Klim gear so not worried about getting wet, but would like to see the country side. I hope I can renew my passport in time.

Ken
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014