Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #16
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I couldn't say. This is my first Enfieldish bike. I'm starting to think it's an Indian from the parts it has.

It's mid-fifties, maybe late fifties, so it's made in merry ole' England, at least.
Kraven,

If you turn that into a rideable bike for anything less than that cost of a running, riding Enfield I would be shocked...my heart might actually stop in my chest.

But anyway, cheers, I look forward to watching the build!
1967 Honda CM91 -> CT90 conversion
1986 BMW K75 - Storage until I figure out a way to tell the wife
MayerMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Hah. I'm having some pretty evil thoughts about it.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
Mctagget
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Agreed with mostly Indian. The hole for the larger speedo was only ever used on Indian badged Enfields.

But you might not be that hard pressed to get it into something workable... If you get it into a fair rolling frame, you could more or less wrangle any Enfield engine pre UCE (not sure about AVLs, but even a cheap Made in India 350 or 500 Iron Barrel, which you can buy complete from India...Although don't expect to stress it much!) with little more than some custom mounting brackets. There might even be plates that directly fit available from Hitchcocks, dunno. That'd save you a ton of dosh trying to buy a proper big Enfield twin engine and restored.

Have a good look at Hitchcocks spare parts section.

If you don't care to put a big twin engine in it, reckon it'd be a sweet and not crazy expensive job (relative to most full restoration jobs) to get an awesome and interesting workable dirty bike out of it.

Really looks like someone was either in the midst of either chopping a scrambler, or scrambling a chopper and gave up. Wonder who's shed the original engine is rotting away in...

I'd take a bundle more photos and have a chat to folk in the various Enfield forums. See if you can find a frame number to ID what it originally was through the rust?
Mctagget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Yeah, the engine is, as I understand, gone via catastrophic failure years ago.
Big surprise.

I'm digging around trying to find some parts for it.

So far it looks like a trailblazer with the 18 rear and 19 front. I gotta tackle the forks and rear wheel. Then it'll be a roller with functioning suspension. Well, after I buy some old armstrongs for it.

It has an alloy rear fender off something on the rear. Maybe a tomahawk, I dunno.

But I've been poking around and looking at putting a Jap engine in it instead of English. But I'm gonna keep poking and see what comes up.

Looks like the Harleys used the same Stewart-Warner speedo the Indians did, so maybe I can re-face one of those into the proper look and put it back in place. I don't want to veer too far from original, but I think I'll maybe scramble it and see how I like it. Those lame apes are leaving, for sure.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #20
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,122
You're insane.

There-- I said it.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
I agree with that

You should bolt a Enfield 350 onto that frame. I have tons of fun with my 'adv' Enfield and it really does take a beating.

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Now there's an idea. The 350 seems loads more reliable than the 7hundred too.

We have a local guy here in Asheville who does the Yamaha twins, so getting a rephased 650 from him seems pretty easy, and for less than the price of an Enfield mill. Maybe. http://hughshandbuilt.com/

I beat the back end apart (not really. The nuts all backed off and didn't break) and got the back wheel off. The hub is a little rusty. But we'll see how it goes.

The shocks aren't frozen as suspected. Not both, anyway. And the forks are moving now. So, I guess I'll pull the forks apart and see how they look inside and how the sliders are for sealing and stuff.

Really, it's just quite rusty. After I knock it down with a wire brush it seems to take some PB Blaster and brake cleaner to get it properly disassembling.

Onward into the crazyness.

kraven screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 08:59 AM
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #23
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

MIOB, that single track stuff is distilled awesome.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
MIOB, that single track stuff is distilled awesome.
Thanks! I am just about to set off to that piece of track again, already fully suited up :) Edit: Can't go yet, I lend it out to a friend and he left the ignition on, the battery is dead :S

Don't use a Yam 650, I am pretty sure the frame and suspention wouldn't really like that.

MIOB screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 09:34 AM
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Because you guys like pictures: The old drum brake cautionary tale...

Yummy!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 193
What about a 2 stroke twin like a old suzuki super six or hussler 250 or suzuki t350j rebel something like that.
Its not totaly out of charecter with Royal Enfield, they put a viliers 2 stroke twin in the crusader sports 250 frame as an option to the four stroke 250 single.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #27
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

that's an interesting idea. I've been flipping through all the stressed member twins I know of, in my head anyway.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 AM   #28
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,870

Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #29
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctagget View Post
I'd take a bundle more photos and have a chat to folk in the various Enfield forums. See if you can find a frame number to ID what it originally was through the rust?
I've been trying to get on the Enfield forums, but they seem buggy right now and I've had trouble registering. So, I'm just doing old fashioned researching.

I got a frame number off the head, and it's easy to see/read. I guess I'll spend the 16 (I guess I better figure out how to type the English pound sign...) pounds to have some official documents from the Royal Enfield fancy pants society. Identifying it for our NC Department of Motor Vehicles gestapo so I can try and title it is likely a good idea.

The head stamp puts it at late 55 or early 56, from what I can tell.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #30
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 193
This is the 2 stroke enfield, the turbo twin none the less.
No real reason i picked the old suzukis than they had slightly more rounded cylinder head finning than the more squared off yamahas.
MZ etz 250 and 301 sxon tour allthough single two strokes are a stressed member engine i think.

MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote