ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
fastdadio OP
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,986
Ft. Lewis/Tacoma area loaner?

Anyone out there have a clapped out dual sport they would be willing to loan/rent/lease to a broke soldier at Ft. Lewis? Allow me to explain...My son was recently stationed at Ft. Lewis. I was stationed there back in 83-86 so I know the area and loved it. I had a KZ1100 at the time and rode it all over the state. He just got through with a two year stint in Germany and while home on leave, before heading out to Wa. he goes out and buys a brand new pick up. Now he's out there and between his truck payments and paying back his student loan....he says he's broke. Dumbass never asked his old man for any financial advice or mentioned a word about going out and buying a new truck. Most likely he didn't want to hear me try to talk him out of it. He's always wanted a new truck, and frankly, he deserves it. He's been a great kid and never been in any trouble. Worked hard through high school to buy his own cars. He tried college at first and then decided to join the Army to become an MP. Now he gets to learn the reality of personal debt to income ratios. He's an experienced rider. I started him out at 8 yrs. old on a Suzuki DS 80, and as he out grew them >TTR125 >CRF230 >KDX200. and so, has spent over half his life pounding Mi single track trails. I just hate to see him spend his time out there and miss the opportunity to experience the beauty that Wa. has to offer. So, if anyone is willing to take pitty on this broke-dick soldier and take him out on one of your local rides, I'm sure it would put a smile on his face and would also be a good chance to meet a truly fine young man. PM me for details and phone # and I can ship his gear out if an opportunity arises. Thanks.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Oddometer: 128
FYI, Military Requirements:
Does he have a motorcycle endorsement on his driver's license?
Has he taken the MSF Basic Course? (if not, cannot ride)
If yes, has he taken the Sport Bike or Experienced Rider's Course within the last 12 months (if not, cannot ride)
Does his Chain of Command know he is going to ride? (if not, cannot ride)
Does he have a motorcycling counseling packet in his CoC? (if not, cannot ride)
I'm sure I'm missing a few other things.

The Army pretty much takes the enjoyment out of riding these days. Any of these are taken as serious offenses (especially JBLM/7ID) and Soldiers face UCMJ if caught riding without the proper documentation/training.
__________________
09 Street Triple R
12 Tiger 800XC
12 350 EXC-F
riceaterslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
fastdadio OP
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
FYI, Military Requirements:
Does he have a motorcycle endorsement on his driver's license?
Has he taken the MSF Basic Course? (if not, cannot ride)
If yes, has he taken the Sport Bike or Experienced Rider's Course within the last 12 months (if not, cannot ride)
Does his Chain of Command know he is going to ride? (if not, cannot ride)
Does he have a motorcycling counseling packet in his CoC? (if not, cannot ride)
I'm sure I'm missing a few other things.

The Army pretty much takes the enjoyment out of riding these days. Any of these are taken as serious offenses (especially JBLM/7ID) and Soldiers face UCMJ if caught riding without the proper documentation/training.
He does have his cycle endorsement in Mi. The rest I highly doubt. He's only been there 2 months now. Wtf? that's a lot of hoops to jump through. I guess things have changed since my Army daze. I had to have an endorsement on my license and wear a helmet and safety vest on post. That's it. I guess if he wants to ride there, it's going to require commitment on his part. He doesn't know I posted this here. I just thought I'd post up and see what happens. Too bad, Some of the best riding of my life occurred there and I hate to see him miss it. Thanks for the reply.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
FYI, Military Requirements:
Soldiers face UCMJ if caught riding without the proper documentation/training.

IIRC, UCMJ prohibits eating pussy as well. I wonder how much that slows anyone down? Maybe that's changed, though.
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
riceaterslc
Urinal Cake Engineer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: WA
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
He does have his cycle endorsement in Mi. The rest I highly doubt. He's only been there 2 months now. Wtf? that's a lot of hoops to jump through. I guess things have changed since my Army daze. I had to have an endorsement on my license and wear a helmet and safety vest on post. That's it. I guess if he wants to ride there, it's going to require commitment on his part. He doesn't know I posted this here. I just thought I'd post up and see what happens. Too bad, Some of the best riding of my life occurred there and I hate to see him miss it. Thanks for the reply.
it wasn't meant as a discouragement, just an FYI. the MSF courses are free on post, and they supply the bikes.
i'm sure there are plenty of servicemenbers out there riding around without the proper training. just hope your son doesn't get caught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
IIRC, UCMJ prohibits eating pussy as well. I wonder how much that slows anyone down? Maybe that's changed, though.
fact! any sort of oral or in the pooper is prohibited (last time i checked). i wonder how the same gener military couples handle this?
__________________
09 Street Triple R
12 Tiger 800XC
12 350 EXC-F
riceaterslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
muddyJ
Shortcut ahead!
 
muddyJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceaterslc View Post
wonder how the same gener military couples handle this?

Don't ask, Don't tell...
muddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,701
I'm a Senior NCO on Ft Lewis with 20yrs in service . I'm also a MSF rider coach.

Here's my 2 cents

Yes, he needs the MSF BRC course. Not necessarily the Sport bike course.
Yes, he needs his Commander's approval and a documented counseling with all the proper paper work.

My question is, Why should I reward this kid by lending on of my bikes (4 in the barn right now) for living outside of his means by purchasing a truck he realistically cannot afford?

When I was a private, I lived pay check to pay check and was constantly broke before the next pay day because I spent frivolously. If I really wanted something, I had to not spend money on stupid stuff in order to pay for the good stuff.

So if he REALLY wants to ride, then he should get a vehicle he can afford. I can only imagine that his insurance is as much as his truck payment too.

I lend my bikes out all the time. But I lend them to people to have earned it in my eyes. Right now, from what you've written, not on the rewards list.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
fastdadio OP
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy View Post
I'm a Senior NCO on Ft Lewis with 20yrs in service . I'm also a MSF rider coach.

Here's my 2 cents

Yes, he needs the MSF BRC course. Not necessarily the Sport bike course.
Yes, he needs his Commander's approval and a documented counseling with all the proper paper work.

My question is, Why should I reward this kid by lending on of my bikes (4 in the barn right now) for living outside of his means by purchasing a truck he realistically cannot afford?

When I was a private, I lived pay check to pay check and was constantly broke before the next pay day because I spent frivolously. If I really wanted something, I had to not spend money on stupid stuff in order to pay for the good stuff.

So if he REALLY wants to ride, then he should get a vehicle he can afford. I can only imagine that his insurance is as much as his truck payment too.

I lend my bikes out all the time. But I lend them to people to have earned it in my eyes. Right now, from what you've written, not on the rewards list.
Can't argue with this logic at all and really feel the same way about this situation. But, you said it your self, you were a dumb private once that spent all his money frivolously. We all did. And young men always will. This is life the way it's always been. As far as the truck goes, well, he earned it. He didn't borrow the down payment or ask me for a co-sign. Manageable debt to income ratio is something even some adults never figure out. He will, I think he already has. I respect the fact that you set the standards for your 'rewards list', and as an NCO in the US Army, I expect those standards to be high. As a career enlisted man in the Army, it would be easy to become hardened, but try not to loose the connection to your youth and what it was like to be 20 again. The kid is on my rewards list simply for resisting the peer pressure he was surrounded by growing up in the burbs of Detroit to engage in drug and alcohol abuse, drug dealing, petty criminal behavior and 'thug life' in general to pursue a path in life that got him to where he is right now. An SP-4 Military Police in the Army. You should see how some of his buddies have turned out. If this situation were reversed, and your son was stationed nearby, I wouldn't hesitate to loan him one of my beaters and take him out on our rides simply because he's a young soldier serving our country and he is one of 'us'. Hell, I'd even invite him over for dinner, fix his truck, and help him with all the other little hardships along the way. But that's just how I am, that's how I raised my son. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply Maddaddy, and thanks just for being there for us.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Maddaddy
Greg
 
Maddaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 1,701
Once he has completed the BRC, have him contact me here.
__________________
PSSOR - Dualsport Training & Adventure Camps.
Off-Road Destructor Extraordinaire
Maddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
fastdadio OP
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy View Post
Once he has completed the BRC, have him contact me here.
Will do. Thanks.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: wetside
Oddometer: 447
Son-of-Fastdadio

I'm in Puyallup, ex-AF T-tailed bug sucker driver. I have three sons 17,20,21. We've taken in Ft Lewis guys as a family away from home for them from time to time. Some times a home cooked meal and family banter is a great escape from the day to day mil spec life. We do a lot of hiking, kayaking and such. We're all shoters, belong to local range. I barely keep my riders running but may have a spare in the fleet soon. I'll pm my contact info. Pokey
Pokey66C23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
fastdadio OP
Still gettin faster
 
fastdadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Pinckney Mi.
Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey66C23 View Post
I'm in Puyallup, ex-AF T-tailed bug sucker driver. I have three sons 17,20,21. We've taken in Ft Lewis guys as a family away from home for them from time to time. Some times a home cooked meal and family banter is a great escape from the day to day mil spec life. We do a lot of hiking, kayaking and such. We're all shoters, belong to local range. I barely keep my riders running but may have a spare in the fleet soon. I'll pm my contact info. Pokey
We are also avid outdoors people including the shooting sports. While stationed there, myself and a group of guys from my unit hooked up with some local river rats who took us rafting down the Klickitat river, some where east of Mt. Adams. It was the wildest raft trip I've ever done. Your pm has been read and sounds like you have a great family. We'll be in touch. Thanks, Dave.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
robdogg
turnip truck driver
 
robdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: wren-tonne, WA
Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey66C23 View Post
ex-AF T-tailed bug sucker driver
__________________
"ride hard, live righteously"
'04 1150 GS "Ich bin ein Berliner"
'12 KTM 690 - Austrian Ferrari
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Olympia, Washington
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey66C23 View Post
ex-AF T-tailed bug sucker driver
Air Force C-141 Pilot would be my guess...

I'm a retired Air Force MSgt (Aircraft Maintainer) by the way, lol.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014