User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
familystone OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Tips on buying off Craigslist?

I'm looking at buying an older Yamaha off of craigslist but I live in a moderately rural area so I'll most likely be buying out of state.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
What method of payment is most secure? Escrow service, paypal, etc?
What shipping service is good? I really only know of uship.

Thank you,

Blake
familystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
first 2 questions!!!!!

Do you have the title in your hand?

Is the title in your name?

I went to buy a bike that had a title signed but not transferred,No Problem I thought untill....

I got there and the guy had been using other plates to ride the bike.

The title had been signed over 10 YEARS before.

After that,if they don't have the title in their name,I'm not interested...

Not worth the Hassle.

There are too many bike out there!!!.....Alan

Oh and get a friend with a truck....ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
familystone OP
n00b

I live in Georgia and from what I understand I don't need a title, only a bill of sale if older than 25yrs. This would still be the case of purchasing from a state that does require a title, correct? If not, then this idea may not be nearly as good as I was thinking.

Blake
Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
If you're buying out of state I would just go to the dmv, sit in line for 2 hours, and talk to one of the reps. I looked all over the internet about how to buy out of state and bought from a dealer in Cali. The Colorado DMV had a heart attack when I went in there with a Cali Bill of Sale. I ended up going back and forth from the DMV 3 separate times trying to get paperwork sorted out. It would have been a lot less tedious if I just went and grabbed the "official" Colorado paperwork in the first place.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Get more pictures, look carefully at them. ask lots of questions, road trip is a good idea, you can check paperwork and vin numbers, pay cash, or walk away. Have you agreed to buy the bike yet? Sometimes a local "wanted to buy" ad will turn up some nuggets. emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 447
Don't do it!

Absolutely DO NOT buy a bike off CL unless you see it in person, and test ride it first.

Buy or rent a trailer, go and pick up the bike, and pay cash! And don't meet the seller some place where he and his cousin could rob you of your cash! Meet in a public place or neighborhood where you feel safe.

DO NOT agree to anyone offering to ship you the bike! Even Craigslist will tell you "Offers to ship vehicles are 100% fraudulent!"

DO NOT buy it unless seller has title in hand, and it is HIS name on the title.

Get a bill of sale AND take a picture of the seller's driver's license. You may need it.

Craigslist is COVERED in scammers!

I have yet to buy or sell ANYTHING without at least one individual attempting to run a scam on me.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Buying off Craigslist doesn't need to be that much different then buying out the newspaper classifieds back in the day IMO. Find the bike, ask pertinent questions (ie condition, state of title etc) show up with cash and a truck. Even if your out of state, if the bike is more money than you want to lose then rodtrip it and do the deal in person! Bring a buddy if your nervous, but suggesting payment via escrow would be a surefire way to get me to bail on the deal. Selling on the other hand, that is a lot different.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
Pick a mutually agreed upon PUBLIC place. Have ownere ride bike over, with title.

I say public for your own safety. There have been cases where ne'er do wells have posted on Craigslist and done evil.

Not saying you should expect that, but be aware. If it is a cash deal, defintely do it in a bank, or somewhere where you can get the Bill of Sale or title notorized.

YMMV.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I'm sorry...You are right about the title...different for each state.
I would definitely check into that for your state.

Are you interested in a certain model bike?

If so,I would sign up for their forum..make some contacts and you might be able to buy from one of the forum members.

They will also will go see a bike for you in a different area... if you ask nice.

Talk to the seller and get a feel for them....Alan
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
familystone OP
n00b

Thanks all.

I have not finalized any talks. In fact, I was originally thinking along the lines of it being similar to eBay of which I have purchased items from many times. I haven't purchased anything from Craigslist before and it seems to be a different can of worms.

I had just been noticing a larger number of bikes coming from the Michigan and Wisconsin areas which got me thinking about shipping but it looks like I should just wait till something comes up within driving distance. Plus, winter is coming up which should mean more bikes on the market.

Alan, I am looking to purchase an RD400.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I have had many dealings on craigslist, both buying and selling and and it has generally been positive. I've even made several friends through transactions. Having said that I would not recommend buying anything if you can not do so in person.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
JoeyHonz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
How about the police station???

Something that we tell everybody that does craigslist deals in Milwaukee….

Do the deal at the local police department. They are more than willing to do a quick check of the VIN to make sure it is not stolen or other problems with it. (I.e. Duplicate title, liens etc....)

There have been many many cases that show that even going to a public place you can get robbed. Suggest to meet at the police department and it will have dual benefit:
1 - Stop someone who is going to rob you!
2 - May be easier to find than say, some house on a side street or business that's tucked away....

Just my $0.02
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty44 View Post
first 2 questions!!!!!

Do you have the title in your hand?

Is the title in your name?
x2
^^THIS^^
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post
I have had many dealings on craigslist, both buying and selling and and it has generally been positive. I've even made several friends through transactions. Having said that I would not recommend buying anything if you can not do so in person.

Yep! Most users are solid and above board on CL. Just watch out for the few that aren't so solid. I've never had an issue myself.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post
Yup, I agree on all counts. I've bought and sold several bikes and a few cars/trucks off of CL with no problems. You just have to use common sense and trust your instincts. CL is the "classified ads" of modern times, so using CL is pretty much like using the classifieds back in the day (if you are old enough to remember those days!)

If you are buying a racing, project or parts bike, it's pretty simple because you're not worrying about the paperwork (title.) The title makes it more complicated so make sure you know your state laws BEFORE you make the deal.

As far as payment goes, it's cash all the way for me, whether selling or buying. Now if you're carrying lots of cash, you'll need to take the precautions that carrying cash demands - definitely consider bringing a friend or two.

I don't mind meeting people at their homes, though some others might feel it's more risky. Depends on where they live. That's kind of a judgment call on your part. If the bike is running and titled/licensed, you could always ask the seller to meet you in a public parking lot. The general rule applies - if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

Common "red flags" for me are:

1. Title not in seller's name. Sellers will say "It is simple to get a title." Well, if it's so simple, YOU go get it and then call me.

OTOH, lack of a current registration (and license plate) is not a deal breaker to me. In my state (CO) you have to show proof of insurance to get a registration, and often times people sell bikes so they don't have to buy insurance for it, which I totally understand (why insure a bike you don't plan to ride or even keep?) Sometimes they'll have a good title but it's from a different state. This, also, is not a deal breaker for me as I've done the out-of-state-title thing many times. Just make sure the VIN on the title matches the one on the bike and that the seller's ID matches the name on the title, and you should be able to title it in your state.

Speaking of license plates, find out what the law is in your state. In some states the plate stays with the vehicle, in others it stays with the person. Here in CO it is the latter. Never, ever EVER sell a vehicle in CO without removing the plate first. NEVER. (And in case you're wondering, yes, it's legal to operate a vehicle without a plate in CO if you buy it from a private seller and are transporting it from the place of sale to the place it will be stored until you get a plate.)

2. "just needs a little work to run." When I hear this from a seller I think OK, then YOU do the work and call me. Obviously doesn't apply if you are buying a "project" bike and don't mind doing the work.

3. Messed up/jacked up/"redneck engineered" wiring or other obvious evidence of bungled work. I run away from bikes like this. I have no idea what the previous owner did but I'm not interested in 'fixing' it and often times the reason the bike is being sold is because the previous owner screwed it up badly. Also applies to badly rusted, flat/dry rotted tires, etc. Again, if you're looking for a "project" or buying a rare bike to restore, this may not be an issue for you.

4. Salvage Title. Some sellers will tell you that a bike can end up with a salvage title for even a minor tip over or just for being stolen and impounded. I don't care, I'm not interested in a bike with a salvage title, period.

Anyway, those are my general rules. I love CL and use it all the time, it's a great resource but like anything else you have to be smart.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote