ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
WetSideRider OP
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,108
Taneum Wednesday or Thursday?

Easy pace trail ride out of Taneum Junction or South Cle Elum. 30-40 miles or so.

Anyone?
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
I might very well be. Was also looking at a street bike run up to Mt Baker with a side trip to work on the sailboat moored in Bellingham. Maybe a sail/cycle combo trip :-).
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
WetSideRider OP
Recidivist Dirtbag

Long time, no talk

Let me know how things shape up.

I can street ride up to Baker too, should that work better.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,327
I'm up for a ride to Mt Baker, always, except Wednesday
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
Long time, no talk

Let me know how things shape up.

I can street ride up to Baker too, should that work better.
Yep, been a while. And Hi Tom!

Spent the winter in SW Florida sailing, and doing the same up here now. Worked a short contract job on my return up here, so that starting this week, I can take a few months off work to sail and ride and oversee a kitchen remodel. So now I can hang with you retired guys during the work week!

Just got a 3 rail MC trailer recently so ready for some dirt trips again on my TE450. I put the street bike up for sale, just not riding it any more. Want to get a few last miles on it before it sells.

Looks like the temps are expected to be lowest Wed and Thursday in Cle Elum area, good time to go over there. Maybe even dirt Wed and street Thursday? Too much? :-)

In Bellingham I need to rope climb to the top of my mast to install a wireless wind sensor, and connect up the water speed sensor cabling, part of a never ending list of things to do on the boat. :-). Getting ready for a 2 week sail trip north to Desolation Sound late next month. I am looking for 1-2 crew still.

While I have you thinking about rides, I have a few on my list of ideas - Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island loop, Bend/Paulina Peak/Oregon Coast loop, Moab/Colorado, Olympic forest roads, North Idaho Selkirks forest roads, and central Idaho, plus local stuff that is not on fire. Some of these could be in the Jeep.

- Mike
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
WetSideRider OP
Recidivist Dirtbag

Mike,

I could be arm-twisted into doing both, especially if Tom is along to do justice to Baker with pictures, I'm incompetent in that area.

Are you living on the boat or still down in Woodinville/Redmond area?

Love to catch up with you (figuratively, I can't keep up literally) sounds like you are busy as usual.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Living at home, boat is a bit small for living on. Wife won't camp, and a boat is too much like camping to her.

Tom, Dan and I talked on the phone just now.

We will do Taneum Wednesday, departing 9:30am.

We will do Mt Baker on Thursday and I will stop by the boat for a hour or 2 in Bellingham on the way up or back as the situation sees fit.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

I can't do Taneum, other commitments. Thursday to Mt Baker.
When ever you want to depart. I'll look forward to seeing your
sail boat. Welcome back!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
WetSideRider OP
Recidivist Dirtbag

Tom,

We'll give you a call this afternoon or early evening. Probably meet at the same Arco station as last time, we'll just need to nail down a time. Maybe Kelvey will want to come too, out of tradition. I called Robert, but he can't make it this week.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
Tom,

We'll give you a call this afternoon or early evening. Probably meet at the same Arco station as last time, we'll just need to nail down a time. Maybe Kelvey will want to come too, out of tradition. I called Robert, but he can't make it this week.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,104
Wahoo, K7MDL rides again!
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Hi Tom,

Yep, riding again, first time on the trails in over a year. Unfortunately it was a short lived freedom. The TE450 cooling fan could not keep up with the heat and each time we stopped to let it cool down, the fan drained the battery eventually, so no electric start later in the ride. Kick started it many times. Later on it resulted in a pulled right calf muscle. It was a huge kick in the back of the leg feeling, I thought the kick start lever wacked me on the rebound in the back of my calf at the top of my boot.

I can carefully hobble around, no visible bruising so far, but very sore to touch and flexing, so maybe I will get lucky and have a fast recovery. So no riding for several weeks probably. It was fun while it lasted. Had a good fun clean ride with Dan. I will probably get out in the Jeep instead as I can still drive fine.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
sorry about your hurt kicker

Mrs. turnsleft is broken so I wouldn't have made the ride today. Going up to Baker is a hoot. I had a start up the bikes day a while ago and did the same thing to my kicker leg.

Would have been fun to play on your sailboat tho. You should stop by Kwisn's work place and say hi then snoop some boat parts.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
WetSideRider OP
Recidivist Dirtbag

A perfect easy pace ride with Mike. Except for the seized calf muscle at the end, of course.

Nobody at Taneum Junction but Mike and me. We got there at noon after a leisurely drive over in Mike's fancy rig with a Subway stop in Cle Elum.

Here's Mike arriving at Windy Pass, even the dust isn't bad.

Mike's TE was suffering from our sedate pace and had to stop every once in a while to avoid puking (coolant, that is). It liked the rest stops so well it decided to make departure harder by depleting the battery and forcing a kickstart. I guess the idea was to make the little 160 look good.

Here are the bikes and Mike cooling off on the leg back to the junction on Taneum Ridge.

FSR 33 is going to be closed except for weekends starting next week. Looks like the two big washouts are going to be fixed.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
Wahoo, K7MDL rides again!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote