Terms of Service and Rules
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.
We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
These terms may be changed at any time without notice.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.
ADVrider was created to support the horizon-chasing adventure motorcycling community. Because of that, we support free-wheeling thinking, great pictures and stories, those who aren't afraid to turn a wrench (and those who have turned them with trepidation), and riders who respect the diversity that makes the planet worth traveling.
With a diverse list of inmates from around the world, there are going to be diverse viewpoints, and thus a need to keep things from spiraling out of control from time to time when the keyboards occasionally get more attention than the bikes. We've created some rules to keep things civil and thoughtful without making the site a bore.
With these things in mind, read on...
Here's how to make your stay here at ADVrider a pleasant one.
1.Respect both forum moderators and administrators. It is a thankless job that they do, and cleaning up other peoples messes is never fun.
2. Post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Each forum has a sticky that explains the purpose and rules. Look at the top of each forum.
3. No cross-posting. (This is posting the same topic in more than one forum) However, there are times when it's okay to do so with the permission of a mod, or if it's explicitly permitted in the rules of a forum.
4. Observe all copyright laws.
5. Lurk before you leap
6. Think before you hit reply. Re-read it. Your posts live on forever in search engine servers. Remember that we're all in this together.
7. Answers to common questions can be found in the "Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph" forum, including such classics as "how do I post a pic" and "how do I change my User Name?".
8. If you need help, contact a mod/admin or two or three. You can find the list here. Just find one that's on-duty if you can't get to a particular forum mod.
9. If for some reason your post got moved or you find yourself under the banhammer, go back and read the forum rules. You can always find your recent posts by going to your Control Panel if you don't know where something got moved.
10. If yours is the last post and you want to add more info, consider editing it instead of adding another reply.
11. Don't rip off the ADV logo. There are authorized vendors in the Vendor section if you want to buy stickers, T-shirts, flags, and other goodies.
THE BIG RULES:
These are the site-wide rules. You can count on them to be in place always, no matter what forum you are in. Violation of these rules is grounds for the IMMEDIATE banning of your account. If you think were kidding, think again.
1. Harassing, intimidating or threatening other members is a no go.
2. Attacking family members means a quick exit.
3. Threatening a public official means instaban.
4. Private Messages are Private. Post someone's PM and you're gone.
5. Posting private information about someone will get you banned. You may not publish or post other people's private and confidential informationtheir phone number, where they live, and so on - without their consent.
6. No posting of pornographic or objectionable/inappropriate material.
7. Don't screw with the site. No rickrolls, autoplay videos, malicious code, spammy hijacking, or anything that disrupts the the site's functionality. Animated gifs are okay. If you inadvertently screw the pooch with a post that causes fail, contact a mod.
8. No multiple user ID's. Fake n00bs, aka Multiple User IDs, are, except in exceptional circumstances, merged with the originator. Or both IDs may be banned. Try and sign up as a fake n00b while you are banned, and your temporary time-out might become permanent. If you are trying to change your user name, go to the thread in the Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph forum.
9. No Spam. Selling your own junk is cool but limited to the Flea Market. Selling multiple items of the same product is considered a sale by vendor, so Vendor forum. Soliciting inmates via Private Message is spam. If it's not related to motorcycling, it's spam. If we see it we nuke it and probably you.
10. Read each forum's rules before posting. Really. Do it. It only takes a minute. Some forums are moderated fairly tightly in order to keep things from going sideways quickly.
11. We try to keep this site as work-safe as a bunch of grimy motorcyclists can. Accordingly, there is no profanity allowed in sig lines or your user title. Also, please refrain from using profanity in thread titles "above the line," i.e., outside of the Basement (JM, CSM). Thank you very farking much.
12. No forum wars. If you have beefs with inmates in other forums, this isn't the place to air them out.
13. No mod baiting. Whether it's in the forum or in PM's to the staff here, being an arse may earn you some vacation time or a permaban.
14. Posts or discussions regarding political, religious or financial topics, or anything else that would be expected to result in heated debate, are restricted to the "Church, State and Money" CSM Forum.
15. Mod decisions are final.
Time-outs, Vacations, and the Banhammer
How the Banhammer drops around here:
The software upgrade has a new feature allowing the moderators to issue infractions as warnings before the Banhammer falls. Occasionally infractions will get bypassed and the Banhammer will strike.
If you think someone should be under the banhammer:
Please consider whether a post really is in violation of the rules before hitting the report (blame) button. When we get it, the mod squad will decide what action, if any, is needed. Whining is a drag, but giving us a heads-up on a post that has problems is always welcome.
If you're getting the hint that you might be under the banhammer:
In many forums the inmates who have been here for a while will be helpful and give you hints--some subtle, some not--on how to avoid getting into trouble. Listen to them. Everyone here has a vested interest in keeping the site running smoothly. If someone suggests you should change your Flea Market post, pay attention. If someone suggests that what you've posted in JoMomma is about to get you banned, think hard about editing your post.
If you've found yourself on the wrong side of the banhammer:
Rules infractions can result in anything from a day or few days off to cool off, to long or permanent bans. You will lose your subscriptions if you are banned. If for some remote reason you think the mods have made a mistake, you can contact someone at the site via the Yo button at the bottom of any page.
If your best buddy is under the banhammer:
Don't start threads to "Free __________". Unless you want to join your buddy in Banned Camp.
We take this stuff seriously.
Do not post copyrighted material without permission. Links to service manuals, illegal .mp3 downloads, etc. will be deleted, and you will be banned.
If you believe that your copyrighted material appears on this site, you should notify us by clicking the "Report this Post" button.
Please be specific with your copyright claim.