276C vs Montana

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by SpeedyR, Mar 21, 2013.

  1. SpeedyR

    SpeedyR SE in the SE

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,266
    Location:
    ATL, GA
    I have had a 276C for a long time (maybe 7 or 8 years). I got it refurbished about a year ago and have only use it a few times since then. since then I also picked up a 950 SE that came with a 176 and touratech mount.

    I also recently switched over from MapSource to Basecamp. As I am starting to look at a mount for the 276C for the 950 and learning to use basecamp, I'm wondering if I should just sell my 276C and move to the montana (found a good deal on one) and learn to use basecamp and the montana at the same time... and pick up a mount for the montana instead of the 276C...

    anyone come from a 276c and move to the montana? wish they had done it sooner or could go back? I would be using it on my 950 as well as on a 450 XC that's plated but see's 90% off road use. would probably use it some in the car as well (the 276C rocks for that use).

    anyway just curious to hear what the inmates think???
    #1
  2. BlueLghtning

    BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Oddometer:
    5,976
    Location:
    Newnan, GA
    #2
  3. SpeedyR

    SpeedyR SE in the SE

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,266
    Location:
    ATL, GA
    thanks BL. I'm going to sell the 176 and mounts/cables and see what that brings in and maybe try to end up with both for a while so i can "compare".

    saw you might be riding sunday but I think I have plans or I'd be joining you! one of these days I'll get in a journey southward. lol.
    #3
  4. BlueLghtning

    BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Oddometer:
    5,976
    Location:
    Newnan, GA
    I'm curious about the Montana myself. I actually think it would replace my 60csx which I honestly only use to record tracks since it dumps them on the SD card. I hate navigating by it, unless I just have to. I'm just not sure I want to have a full touch screen GPS. Guess it just comes down to how well it actually works for you.

    I'm still pretty attached to my 276c/376c/478 GPS's. I've got 4 of them now. Maybe I should sell one and buy the Montana. :lol3
    #4
  5. FatChance

    FatChance Road Captain

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2003
    Oddometer:
    11,625
    Location:
    Durango, Colorado, USA
    I've had a 276C for a long time but got a Montana about a year ago. I haven't used the 276C since. That said, I often think about selling it since I never use it but just haven't been able to make that final decision...
    #5
  6. Ditch

    Ditch Long timer

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2004
    Oddometer:
    1,251
    Location:
    abq,nm
    Not positive without it in front of me, but I think the 176 touratech mount can be modded to fit the 276.
    Someone on here did that a few years back.
    #6
  7. wbbnm

    wbbnm Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,104
    Location:
    Minnesota
    A lot of guys I ride with switched from the 276 to the Montana and seem happy.

    I switched from a 60 CX and am pretty pleased. The Montana screen is easier to see over a broad range of lighting conditions. And it is really nice not having to worry about track size limits. Plus the 60 was getting a bit unreliable.

    The custom map feature of the Montana has been useful at times. One guy I ride with seems to only use custom maps - normally Benchmark maps.

    Just got back from 3 days of rough riding in Moab and the Montana did great.
    #7
  8. Monsignore

    Monsignore Plunger Boy

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,116
    Location:
    Astoria, Queens
    I've never ridden with a GPS, I usually just use basic directions written on a 3x5 card clipped to the windshield.
    The Montana has intrigued me. Do y'all think it'd serve me well as My First GPS (Fisher Price doesn't have one yet)?

    I ride ~95% street (the other 5% being gravel parking lots and doing donuts in Effervescent's yard).
    #8
  9. wbbnm

    wbbnm Long timer

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,104
    Location:
    Minnesota
    I am a big GPS user. But I ride mostly dirt in remote areas. I really like mapping and using the GPS.

    But if you are getting along fine without one, you probably don't need one unless you are looking for a new hobby.

    The Montana is expensive and there is a big learning curve to use the unit and the supporting trip planning software.

    I have lots of friends who have bought GPS units and don't use them because they are just not into that sort of thing.
    #9