30 years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Rashnak, May 18, 2010.

  1. dennydog

    dennydog Adventurer

    Jun 16, 2010
    central washington the center of the universe
    I was stepping out of a church service in Ephrata, because my 3 year old had the squirmies and was disturbing everyone...... When we went outside everything began to turn dark and I really didn't know what to think......I began wondering if this was going to be a life changing experience......and it was......I quit smoking and drinking for 48hrs afterwards. What amazed me was how Wenatchee didn't get any ash and from Quincy East it was thick as thick could be.
  2. kwisn

    kwisn One Happy Dog

    May 30, 2008
    Griffonderosa Dog Ranch The Rock, WA
    I lived on the beach on Fidalgo Island and heard the explosion. That's a long way from the volcano but I'll never forget it.
  3. zaptoad

    zaptoad just a guy

    Mar 3, 2006
    North Idaho
    Me and the guys were out riding (well, maybe hustling along) on road bikes between Pullman and Boyer Park. We could see a nasty looking storm cloud blowing in on us, the biggest blackest clouds I've ever seen in my life. We decided to ride back to town and have some coffee while waiting for them to blow over, then go back riding. RIGHT! Then it started snowing(ash), then everything turned dark, all the street lights came on......mid/late morning!

    We had no idea what was going on. No radios, cell phones, Ipods, nothing. Times have changed. We thought it was the end of the world and had better get home while we still could. It was the weirdest ride home I'd ever done.......curising along in the ash and the snow, in the dark on a motorcycle.......just scary weird. :eek1
  4. el guapo nada

    el guapo nada Been here awhile

    Nov 27, 2009
    Columbia River Gorge, OR
    I was a 3rd grader at Mid-Valley Elementary, we lived on Booth Hill Rd...my parents drove us out to Hwy 35 (the old, curvy one), just north of Hanels Mill and we watched the eruption plume from a viewpoint there....Ash fell, maybe 3 or 4 inches, and we were sent to school wearing dust masks for a couple days. I have a vial of that ash somewhere.......
  5. hvman

    hvman Been here awhile

    Jul 13, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Camped at Yale Reservior just down stream from Cougar, no sound, but the sight = unforgetable!!
  6. gplutt

    gplutt Been here awhile

    Dec 25, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I was 7 years old at the time. We lived around Dagualla Bay north of Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island. I was in my bedroom reading and I kept hearing loud noises that I thought was my parents moving furniture around upstairs.
  7. hayshaker

    hayshaker Been here awhile

    Feb 28, 2007
    My experinces with an exploding volcano:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    It was 31 years ago that I was camping in a cabin near Rimrock Lake in a cabin. It was to be a fishing trip with a friends family. I don't remember the Saturday but Sunday was quite the adventure. We had barely eaten breakfast and were loading up when this strange looking cloud started coming over the ridgetop. Someone jumped into the car about the time it started to rain dirt. The radio in the car was reporting that Mt. St Helens had exploded and it was bad. We listened to the radio for about 5 min. and it went dead as it totally got dark from the ash cloud. Outside it was totally dark when it should be daylight and now raining dirt! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    During the event while outside you could see lightning or static electricity in the air, it was extremely warm and totally dark for hours. Birds were coming to the windows of the cabin and pecking at the windows. Talk about creepy. We kept a fire going not sure if this was the end of the world or what? <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    By mid-afternoon the sky cleared and it had snowed about 8 inches of powder. I wanted to call home to say I was still alive and this required a hike out of several miles. By the time I got to a phone all communications were out. Hiking back along Hwy 12 cars had stalled, died quit altogether and people were walkig in a daze kinda like movies of armagedden. Small critters like lizards and snakes were out in the road choking. Everthing was dead quiet and had a strange grey look to everything.
    We stayed put for 3 days before making an attempt to drive out. Nylon stockings were used to prefilter the ash out and the air cleaner needed cleaning every 10 miles or so till we got out of the dust. Of course the ash was nearly as bad in the Columbia basin with 3-6inches where I live. The next year trying to farm was a real problem and many engines were ruined from the ash.


  8. ruggid

    ruggid Adventurer

    Nov 7, 2007
    The wife and I were at the Fossil Bowl in Clarkia Ida watching the races when we saw a huge black cloud coming over the hill at us.We didnt have our rain gear with us so we jumped on the GS750 Suzuki headed for Lewiston.About 45 min. later we were going through Kendrick and it pitch black,street lights were on.Jeni says,it looks like it raining but Im not getting wet . What a weird day it was.
  9. SkiFastBadly

    SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

    Mar 28, 2007
    Woodinville, WA
    I'll be damned, another displaced cheesehead.

    I was 25, just staring my career. Better than even money I was in a bar.