Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 13, 2013.
You could just mask it carefully, or take a well lit hi-rez photo of the sticker to have a duplicate made.
I was thinking about that...but then it wouldn't be the original sticker so the cool factor is lost . I pealed the sticker off today in preparation for paint so it's a done deal now.
Messing around with other projects today but my father and I did manage to set up some painting jigs today. We weren't going for style points but these should help hold the parts nice and steady for painting. Still have to make the jig for the tank.
To hang the frame for paint we came up with a eye bolt that will go down through the steering head tube. The washers are just big enough to slide into the tube and catch on the raised lip inside, install the top and bottom washers/nuts and you have a nice secure eye to tie to without interfering with any paint areas.
For the rear we just welded a couple washers to some long bolts that screw into the tail light bracket. The threads in the bracket are protected and the rear can easily be supported.
Exhaust guard jig.
And jigs for the forks and headlight.
I have a couple more Z50 builds to come in the future so I'll keep these jigs around.
More progress soon.
I know you're a powdercoat guy. If you decide you'd rather use powder than paint, I can hook you up with my formula for Candy Ruby Red powder match.
All very nice. My first was a '68. Second was a '71 Trail 70.
I still have my '71 Trail 90 (my first bike). Its restoration is forthcoming... still collecting parts.
That looks nice! I already have the PPG paint so I'm going the paint route this time. I'd love to have the recipe for the powder though
Not a ton of progress yet as I've been busy with other projects. Did manage to get a little glass beading done though.
A few small dings in the headlight bucket that will need to be taken care of
The paint on the tank is pretty strong and resistant to bead blasting. I'll hit the tank with some paint stripper and then blast it.
More parts waiting to be cleaned up.
More to come.
If you get to where you want some, I'll send you the powder and some information about how to apply it. I prefer to just give you the powder because its a custom formulation I paid to have generated. I got lucky and fell into a buddy deal at the manufacturer who makes it for me and no one else (hopefully).
Thanks for the offer
Paint stripper on the tank, should be easy to glass bead now.
The hubs were pretty crusty, they look a lot cleaner now. We will give them a slight polish but not to shiny.
Previously rusty parts look a lot better now
Upper triple cleaned up
HodakaGuy builds are some of the best threads on here.
My Father and I fabricated a engine stand today. When we bought the bike the previous owner said he had the cylinder head rebuilt but other than that I really have no idea what has been done to this engine or what it needs. The clutch was slipping badly when you tried to kick over the engine, even after adjusting the clutch. Knowing this the first place I'll start looking is the clutch and go from there.
Engine on it's new engine stand.
Draining the oil
Outer clutch cover removed.
The centrigugal oil filter is pretty packed full.
Sludge removed from the filter.
Oil screen pulled. Not a lot on the screen
Primary gear pulled. The back of the gear has a plate that is slightly bent upwards and is rubbing on the shift linkage internally. Hmmm.....going to look into this more.
You can see where the gear has been wearing on internal parts.
More to come...
I just found this thread, I'm in. I've had my Z50A sitting in the back of the shed for eons waiting for a rebuild. Dad bought it for us Christmas of '69, best Christmas present ever. Toughest motorcycle ever, too. We once calculated that it must have hit the ground about 6,000 times in the years we rode it. The tail light/rear fender was off in about a month ( still have it) and we went through brake levers by the case. The rest of the bike was indestructible. It ran when we parked it in the early '80s, maybe I'll get motivated to set things right and get it running again. Carry on...
I don't think I have ever not had to drill out at least one of the centrifugal filter screws. What did you use?
Way cool to have the same bike still, you need to get that project rolling!
I just use a impact screwdriver, worked great.
Crazy, you don't even appear to have a flywheel lock. Whenever I do it, the big bits mush the butter-soft screws. I plan the first strike like I am cutting a diamond. I have twisted the heads off at least two of the 1/4" bits that fit the screws better. I have twisted the heads off of the screws before when I could get purchase.
I don't have a bit like one like the top-right picture. It looks like it would work if it is more robust than the sheet metal screw bits.
The first one of those I ever cleaned I couldn't see the nut behind the sludge. It was so packed in and so smooth I thought it was a rubber seal and I kept looking at the parts book for it. That was out of a running bike. Those engines are awesome.