Aprilia 1200 Rally

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by JohnG., Feb 20, 2015.

  1. JohnG.

    JohnG. Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    Oddometer:
    2,787
    Location:
    Cooma N.S.W.
  2. ARiderX

    ARiderX Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1,155
    Location:
    Western Europe
    I just don't know... I saw it in the flesh and sat on it. Felt just as comfortable as the regular caponord. But I'm not sure I get where they're going with this bike.

    The caponord is brilliant, really on the top of my list. For the simple reason that it is a stylish, understated, yet still with Italian flair, smooth, road going sport tourer with a slight sport-bias. Finally a motorcycle that "understood" that most of these big adventures bikes only ever see tarmac duty anyway and are often bought by poseurs that buy into the rally crap marketing. So I guess Aprilia figured, lets throw that adventure pretence over board, and make a truly amazing, comfortable "gentlemen's speed machine" (as I called it previously)

    And at that, it is amazing, I would almost say that a motorcycle like that is the "new standard" of today. Fairing, but not so that it feels like grandpa's 1200RT, and smooth and just competent.

    Then they turn around, do a 180, fit larger front wheels, some knobbies and some "trying too hard" engine crash bars, and we're back where we started. You know it is not going to be as good as a super tenere for what aprilia thinks this caponord rally can do, you know it's gonna have low sales numbers, and that nobody will truly take this type of bike all the way through the planes of mongolia...

    I still kinda like it, because I like the caponord in general, but I'm split on the caponord rally (don't own one though...) Of the two, I would still buy the other one if that opportunity ever presented itself. Because the normal one has a more focussed mission statement as a motorcycle.
    #2
  3. kyns

    kyns Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    Oddometer:
    3,670
    I like it. It's competing with the Stelvio and GS ADV. The big ADV bikes do allright on gravel and light off road, when NOT loaded too heavy. Any bike will be just a poser bike when loaded unrideable. With the Wire wheels and 19 inch front, there is proper ADV tires available.:deal Allso, Aprilia claims it will be lightest in class, that's a big plus.

    This thread needs pics.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    .
    #3
    ride200mi likes this.
  4. Lion BR

    Lion BR I'd rather be riding

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Oddometer:
    4,820
    Location:
    Oregon
    I get your point. And I agree with it. But it has a chance...

    We know that only a small percentage of Super Tenere owners take their bikes off road. It is not whether it will do well off road or not, it is whether it looks the part. And this one, well, it "looks" like it is a mean off road machine. Perfect for the Starbucks. What makes it different is whether it fits your off-road riding suit or the street leathers. If it fits your street gear, then you get the non-rally version. Otherwise, this is the machine for you.
    #4
  5. John Ashman

    John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Oddometer:
    3,767
    Location:
    Viejo Mexico
    Build this around an RXV550 and I'm in. Or even the 750 engine for that matter.

    IMO, it's the most badass looking one on the market.
    #5
  6. JohnG.

    JohnG. Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2006
    Oddometer:
    2,787
    Location:
    Cooma N.S.W.
    Yup, build around a Shiver 750 taken to 800 I'm there too :clap

    Kyns, thanks for posting pics, cheers.
    #6
  7. coast range rider

    coast range rider Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Oddometer:
    346
    Location:
    Palomar Mountain
    :thumb
    Clearly the Caponord Rally is the better poser bike.The marketing department did their job well.
    I would buy the non-rally version (or a different bike for off pavement).
    #7
    Race Ready likes this.
  8. oalvarez

    oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,072
    Location:
    CA HWY 2
    minus the ridiculously large exhaust, i think it looks great. i do understand what ARiderX is saying though.....does it really need the crash bars and such?

    anyhoot, i think Aprilia did a nice job with it.
    #8
  9. Paulvt1

    Paulvt1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,931
    Location:
    Wolverhampton. England.
    Didn't realise it has a 19 inch front.

    Hmm. Makes me wonder if the V4 from the Tuono is heading into a tall rounder package to take on the Multistrada now...
    #9
  10. ARiderX

    ARiderX Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1,155
    Location:
    Western Europe
    I was maybe a bit harsh, after reading what I wrote. And I'm coming around on the whole thing. Either way, it's not up to me to comment from the sidelines. Aprilia doesn't need my input and surely doesn't give a rats ass :lol3 I get that. I read about this bike ages ago and saw it already in the flesh by the way.

    I just thought that Aprilia didn't need this one. It is not different enough from the standard caponord to really create a different "niche"/"experience".

    It's as if many manufacturers think there is this standard recipe to making an adv out of an already excellent bike (a bike no one was asking for in my opinion ...). Things like: 19" front wheels? Check. Crash bars? Check... Ugly lunchbox side cases? Check. "Well gee, I think I'm all done now, I present to you: the caponord rally adventure bike..."

    The crash bars will not protect the bike for all the times it doesn't fall over when it is not going off road. And it's nothing you couldn't do by getting a pair of crash bars for your original caponord.

    Maybe what I'm saying is that this lacks a bit of effort and originality. They should have given the adventure treatment to the dorsoduro! Now that would have resulted in something quite unique in todays market. A smaller, light 750cc v-twin adventure bike. It's a supermotard already, they're already halfway there. That would have shown they get this adventure thing.

    The rally is an easy bet...

    But ok, I still like the rally, it's ok :D
    #10
  11. kvango

    kvango Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2014
    Oddometer:
    355
    Location:
    USA
    I like this one. I think the mods set it as an alternative to GS/S10/Explorer segment, where the regular Caponard doesn't have the 'right specs'.

    And it is the best looking 'adventure-tourer' of the bunch. No styling cues taken from transformers/insects/birds.

    As an S10 owner, this looks more appealing than a new S10. But would it be smart to ride an Aprilia to Alaska, or through Mexico? Reliability/service might push me back to Yamaha . . .

    However at this point I'm more interested in a 690 or CCM (when available). Weight matters. But no denying stepping off the Rally will make your double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Mocha Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended so much better :1drink

    If Only. :cry


    --- Kevin
    #11
  12. Precis

    Precis Maladroit malcontent

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2009
    Oddometer:
    5,019
    Location:
    Body's back home, but soul is in the Andes
    We have two of the original Caponords; I ride one (my wife the other) off asphalt a lot, because that's where we live: nearly 90,000km in total now. Both have the factory crashbars - which look a lot like the 1200 Rally's (and why wouldn't they?) and contrary to armchair specialists, I can report that they work well: some scratches, a couple of sacrificial bolts and a bent bracket or two, but they saved the expensive plastic, rad, etc. I'm confident that the 1200's crashbars would perform just as well.

    There are a number of original Caponords in places beyond the street-lights around the world - including Alaska: turns out you don't need a dealer on every street-corner, unlike some other Euro brands - just an occasional postal delivery. The bikes are rugged and reliable, once a few accountant-induced shortcomings are corrected, and are easy to work on, measured aginst most rivals.
    A Brit called Joe recently rode his Capo from the UK to Cape Town.

    Have you ridden the Capo 1200? I have, extensively: initially I was dismissive of the heavy road-bias, but I found the electronics made it a perfectly useable dirt-road bike: it just needs decent dual-sport tyres, which the 19" front wheel now makes possible.
    In contrast, a week aboard an S10 left me cold - competent, capable and as bland as brown cardboard: no brio, no sparkling character. I have cars like that, but don't expect them to be different.
    A 690 or a CCM? You're lucky - you clearly have no dental fillings for the KTM's vibrations to loosen, and you're a brave man to take a wholly unproven new brand away from civilisation.
    I'll stick with my well-protected and proven twin thanks!
    #12
    Magus likes this.
  13. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,111
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Aprilia had this one before many others had theirs. This is just a modern spin on something they introduced back in 2003......

    Then:

    [​IMG]

    Now:

    [​IMG]


    I'm with Oalvarez, I like it.... :thumb

    -SM
    #13
  14. ARiderX

    ARiderX Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1,155
    Location:
    Western Europe
    Most probably, but that's not what I meant (I tried a stupid word play, didn't work). What I meant was they won't protect anything, because most of these won't ride a meter off-tarmac, and will therefore never be in the position to take a dirt nap in the first place.

    One or two exceptions don't make a rule. But I would be glad to be proven wrong on this one...
    #14
  15. AJ..

    AJ.. Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,766
    Location:
    Singapore
    Maybe what I'm saying is that this lacks a bit of effort and originality. They should have given the adventure treatment to the dorsoduro! Now that would have resulted in something quite unique in todays market. A smaller, light 750cc v-twin adventure bike. It's a supermotard already, they're already halfway there. That would have shown they get this adventure thing.

    The rally is an easy bet...

    But ok, I still like the rally, it's ok :D[/QUOTE]


    I am not sure you gonna give a damn about my reply to your quote either....

    but...I am 100% agreeing with you!
    The DD,with just a 750cc engine....it gives a whole new recipe for serious power....currently I am riding one...its the most fun,flickable,raw power and I could say,my most modern V twin.
    They should just focus that with a more adv or rally...
    That is all!
    #15
  16. AJ..

    AJ.. Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,766
    Location:
    Singapore
    Actually...the new 1200 capo looks quite alrite...minus..the sportsbike RSV headfairing and lights look....

    The Capo Raid was my all time favourite...and becoz of that...I did bought the capo1000 backthen...fun bike...and its considered light for its class comparing a Varadero1000,Vstrom 1000,and not to mention any GS.
    #16
  17. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,111
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    +1

    An "adventurized" DD would be awesome and really help pull Aprilia to the front of this market. :clap

    -SM
    #17
  18. Pampero

    Pampero Verbose Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Oddometer:
    757
    Location:
    Seattle WA and Nashville TN
    The Dorsoduro has been something of a flop in the marketplace and has a number of shortcomings in this application, probably the most obvious being range. Not saying it's not a good bike, just that it hasn't been a great sales success. This bike uses the Dorso motor so you could make the case that it is half a Dorsoduro package but with the touring features most people desire. I'm guessing the Dorso name wasn't enlisted for this application because it has so little recognition and less commonality with other bikes specified for the role of tourer with off road pretensions, and the Capo has been and remains slated to be the world tourer anyway.

    I think this one's a good iteration on the theme whatever name it goes by. If they keep the weight down without sacrificing toughness it will meet with approval by whoever has the willingness to buy an Aprilia in the first place.
    #18
  19. mhevezi

    mhevezi Adventurer

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    Oddometer:
    92
    Location:
    Oakland, CA (it's not THAT bad)
    Caponord Rally? I really like it and for what you are getting, $15,900 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Plus, IMO- it looks smashing! I'm looking to replace my Ulysses in the next 12 months or so and this may fit the bill. Right now my list of bikes to replace the Buell is short- Capo Rally, The Stelvio and the FJ-09.

    Just wish it didn't have a chain drive.
    #19
  20. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,111
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    +1

    I nearly bought a left over '06 Capo that had been sitting for about 4 years collecting dust in a small local bike shop. Still wish I had pulled the trigger. Anyway, always had a thing for the big Aprilia, and yeah, the new Rally looks great! As others have said, it ticks all the "marketing" boxes for looking the part, having what many have reported as a terrific motor, and of course all of the latest in electronic wizardry (ABS, TC, riding modes, cruise, active e-suspension, etc). I hope Aprilia sells a bunch of them! :thumb

    -SM
    #20