Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Brauhausbier, Jan 2, 2011.
Nice, getting there!!!
Thanks so much for the props!!
Hope this week to get the engine fully cleaned up and get my newly bored cyclinder back from Rb Designs this weds!
Just got my big parts order in from OEMcycle today
Now just gearing up for the case split on Feb 12th.:eek1
Should have all those parts early next week.
I bought a caliper on CL
Dunno what was all over it but nothing would take it off
Here it is after soaking a day in Berryman's
I ended up using a wire wheel
Thanks for that tip on Berryman's Wibby!
I have this whole next weekend to work on my XR! I will run out and pick up some Berryman's chem dip. I als wanted to soak the carb too in a good Chem Dip. Will do!
Finally an update on the motor progress over the past two weekends. Finally have some forward momentum going
Using wire brushes and 2.5% Phosphoric Acid the case cleaned up nicely
Spent an afternoon cleaning up the case last weekend.
Yesterday with the invaluable help from my friend Luke (this is his ADV screen name too), we split the cases to replace the countershaft. In my short 11 year motorcycling career, this is my first case split:eek1 What an experience!
Here we go:
Right Cover Off
Clutch Basket Next
Used an air gun to remove the 27mm nut behind the clutch basket. That worked well.
Removed the kickstarter, oil pump, ignition sensor, etc to strip out the right side components completely.
Next up was the case split. This took some time and a lot of elbow grease. Definitely the most difficult task in the whole process was this center case separation.
Here we go.
I made a case splitter using two 4' lengths of 2x2 an used a chunk of 2x4 to make fulcrum and applied the pressure on opposite sides of the case through the cylinder opening:
The start of some separation
Finally got the case pins separated
The propane torch is coming in handy trying to loosen up the case pins
The crankshaft and transmission look good for a 17 year old XR
The new countershaft
Look how crisp the splines are
The old splines (just for reference)
The transmission is out
Fun times - getting all the old gaskets off - much faster with two working
The side cases are looking cleaned up and ready for reassembly
New countershaft installed and transmission reassembled
Ready to reassemble the cases
Reassemble Right Side Case Components (Clutch Plates all above spec)
New Ricky Stator
Right case cleaned up and ready for installation
Bottom end is completely finished!
Wow..a 10 hour marathon on the bottom end rebuild but we did it in just one day!
I'm greatly indebted to Luke for his assistance and knowledge
Luke, please enjoy the 4 cases of tasty beer from my employer Widmer Brewing and again a Big Thank You! :slurp:slurp:slurp:slurp
Looks great Eric. I can see the scientist in your method of operation. Looks like PO let the cs sprocket nut get lose.
Wow! Impressive work!!
Thanks Sector and CP! Hopefully I''ll get the cylinder head together by the end of the month! Got a new sleeve coming for the cylinder and the head is at a fantastic local moto cylinder head shop called Baisley Performance www.baisley.com just down the street from us! These guys have been just fantastic! New KB valves, new OE valve springs, and new gaskets. Plus, the Baisley guys will bead blast the head and cylinder + polish. I can't say enough about Bailsely..absolutely A+
Did not see or or hear you mention bearings and crank seals
Woulda been a good time
It's not a 2 stroke...
still I'd be replacing bearing while I had the chance
Disagree. The XR bearings are big, expensive, and reliable.
I did replace the countershaft case seal and the gear shift seal on the left side case.
I'll second that!
Thanks so much Luke! I'll give you a buzz when the top end is ready to bolt together!
Depends where you get them
Peterman got all my bottom end bearings and seals on the KDX for right at $50
New parts are trickling in this week
Received the new 100mm cylinder sleeve yesterday from XR's Only and delivered that to Basiley's High Performance http://www.baisley.com/ at lunch today. The cylinder and head had been cleaned and polished and looked brand new. Looks like they will get the cyclinder re-sleeved this next week.
Also received the new HotCam Stage 1, and new rockers
Plan is to get the head together the first week of March.
im gonna be watchin this...