Back in January, I found a '92 XR600R for $1350, and it was all there and straight, didn't puff smoke, ran strong. Looked like a good cleaner upper. I bought the bike knowing it would sit for a month or two while I did a couple of trips in the planning on the '87 KLR, and there was no time to get the XR ready that quickly. I ordered parts, and then came the day in March when I could start tearing the bike apart to see if it was a cleaner-upper or a fixer-upper. So far, mostly just dirt everywhere. No leaky or misty spots on the motor, and the carb was not grungy. Encouraging. I removed the stator and sent it off to Baja Designs for a 250w rewind, at the same time I ordered a d/s kit Lots of unused pole space The previous owner gave me a couple of "extras"...one was a new D752 rear, and the other was a fresh piece of foam for the seat. I wasn't wild about the Ceet cover on the bike either. Before I got too far in the teardown (and it wouldn't roll anymore ), I needed to haul it somewhere for a VIN verification so I could get the plates paperwork underway. Then I put it on the Sears stand and started taking crap off. I got the bike down to frame and motor, and removed the wiring harness. Cleaned up connections, cleaned and touch-sanded the frame. Put a couple coats of flat white primer and three coats of gloss white. I brought the forks and shock to Neil Hores (Hitchcock Industries). It sat like this until the shock could go back in, it really is the center of the universe here I repainted the sidestand and top triple black. When the stator was sent back, I installed it and wired in the harness. The front and rear wheel bearings needed replacing, so I took care of that at Mountain Eagle's DAG wrench day. After getting the bearings in, someone noticed I had a broken spoke - and then someone said "hey, we're not far from Woody's..." and off I went for a new spoke. On the truing stand, the rear rim was bent in four places enough to need fixing, and there was a crack on the drive side, right at the join weld. My XR400 wheels cracked there too, I had them welded. This wheel would need a fair amount of cash thrown at it to be servicable, and I'd still have a wheel of dubious toughness. I had Chris order a RAD black anodized billet hub, to be laced to a black Excel rim. The front was ok, but did need truing and a spoke or three. I kept myself busy with things like cleaning up the hackjob someone did on the airbox. I dremeled it smooth, and fastened a screen to cover the gaping maw they cut in the top. The wires gotta sit somewhere I removed the carb and put in an XR's Only billet choke plate. The stock choke plate has been known to come apart and get sucked in. That's a $24 no-brainer just 'cause I'm the superstitious type The billet piece. While the suspension was away, I got a couple of calls. The first one telling me the lower fork leg had taken a big rock hit once, and it had deformed the fork tube by 1mm or so, enough to mess up the bushings trying to slide unimpeded. The next call was to tell me the shock body was showing early signs of wear. The Eibach springs for the fork and shock had arrived, so changing paths (like buying an Ohlins or something) didn't make any sense - he sent the shock body off to be hard anodized. Then one day the phone rang, the shock was done. I could start putting it together again When I was putting on the shark fin, I discovered that the rear tab on the swingarm for it was broken off. Just a little weld puddle remained. The little 'surprises' were beginning to add up. The swingarm tab, the fork leg, the shock body....there would be more.