Buying a New bike out of state...

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by glasswave, Mar 17, 2012.

  1. NewYorkLuke

    NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

    Oct 19, 2010
    Upstate NY
    if you are buying new and know what bike you want do the deal over the phone have them fax you all the paper you need and regi the bike in your state then take you plate and regi and go pick the bike up and ride it wherever you want
  2. duncanfc

    duncanfc Adventurer

    Aug 28, 2011
    San Francisco
    Is this "new to you" or "brand new without a plate at a dealer"?

    If the latter, do what New York Lukes says. Check your DMV too.

    If the former, most states give you 10 days to register it after purchasing it....I know that is how it works in California (and in Oregon).

    So, unless Utah has some funky transfer laws (eg. emissions related), buy what you want in any state, have that state's release of title form signed by previous owner (usually on back of title) and maybe a bill of sale for good measure, then drive it home without worry, and within 10 days of signed release of title (transfer date), have it registered to you.

    Easy peasy.

    Out of state vehicles almost always require a VIN verify/inspection by state official before final approval, so make sure that sticker exisits before you buy it (and clean sticker before inspection so they can read it correctly and enter it into the system, you don't want the '6' to be written down as an '8' and later get stopped by the police.....

    All in all, not too tough at the end of the day.


    Sock Monkey is correct about whole "motorcycle with less than 7500 miles on it" thing.


    How they deal with taxes are different in every state. So as far as Utah goes....hmmm, is Utah as broke as California? Close? If so, expect some extra registration fees for things brought in from other states.


    You know, someone from Utah who has done this deal before should just tell us how they did it :)
  3. therider

    therider Been here awhile

    Sep 15, 2007
    I have a confusion about taxes. in AZ says they have new 2016 1290 SA for 17k otd, that includes tax. They said they can give me a temp tag to ride it to CA and register. They also said I would not have to pay CA tax but how can I verify that? This bike is 50-state certified so no issue of the 7500 mile rule.
  4. Gustavo

    Gustavo Motociclista Errante

    Jun 1, 2004
    Sometimes in Hillsburrito
    Unless you plan to register the bike in AZ, why would you pay taxes there? It'd be a lot simpler if the dealer sold you the bike w/o collecting taxes and then you register in CA and pay all the fees/taxes they require you anyway. If you paid taxes in AZ, CA may require you to pay the difference between the AZ rate and the CA rate. Or they may charge you the whole thing, if you don't have the documentation to prove you did (but you should, you are buying from a dealer, he should have it broken down in the contract).

    I live in OR, we don't pay sales taxes (but it's not as if we pay no taxes, they get us elsewhere... :baldy ), I have bought both cars and bikes in CA and WA and paid no sales tax locally, as I was not going to register them in that state. I bought a couple of used bikes from inmates in/around Los Angeles, rode to Oregon with the bill of sale in and endorsed title in my pocket. Another one just with the bill of sale, as the bank was going to mail the title to my address. No issues, as long as you register it within the 10 day window mentioned above. But, there are even exceptions for that, as that last title arrived only after two weeks. Took it to the DMV with the envelope it came in showing the postmarked date, and they waved the penalty. It's a lot simpler than you think.

  5. neanderthal

    neanderthal globeriding wannabe

    Nov 26, 2006
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I bought my Africa Twin, new, out of state.
    You WILL pay taxes to register it in California. Either at the time of sale or when you try to register it. I insisted they include the tax at the California rate, and went with my documents to DMV. They verified that before even thinking of doing my registration.
  6. therider

    therider Been here awhile

    Sep 15, 2007
    Makes sense. I guess in case I buy from AZ dealer, I will not pay the AZ tax and only pay tax in CA. Thanks.
  7. HeliMark

    HeliMark Been here awhile

    Jun 23, 2013
    So Cal
    If you look on the Ca DMV site, they have a page that you can plug the numbers in and it will tell what you are looking at paying for taxes if you buy out of state. If you paid AZ taxes, Ca only makes you pay the difference of what it would have been if you bought it in Ca (and probably a little extra, well, because it is Ca).