Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by aiMhi, Sep 4, 2014.
I got the gpx loaded - thanks.
That's going to be a long round trip!
Welcome Scott, we'll see you tomorrow. Sounds like you are coming down with BlackJackDavey and meet at my house- cool see ya at 7am.
I've done it in one shot a few times without the RT added, therefore wanted to split it up.
See us at Hungry Bear at 8am. Well be late in ADV Inmate fashion.
Update my status from Strong Maybe to pretty much freaking going.
Got my bike ready.
Is there anywhere to park in woodland? will my truck get impounded?
And as quickly as i was in, i'm out. Got a little banged up taking the DR up heart attack hill...it didnt look that bad from the bottom
Have fun boys, take plenty of pictures and gather plenty of sperm samples.
I think Paul at Catamount might be able to help you out. Only a few blocks away from the H Bear.
I'll call him and PM.
Done, be safe.
thnx just talked to him. good guy.
anybody camping? just got some new gear and seems like a good place to try it out since there is help near by.
Truck Parking: I agree leave it at Paul's or you are welcome to leave at my house in Larkspur. Pm me if you want to, we hit the trail from there. Better than driving all the way to Woodland Park.
Camping: they have nice camping there if you want or if we can make room in the cabins well fit you in
BRING YOUR SWIMSUIT!
See everyone in the am.
Yeah we ride! The Camping, Cabin'ing, Glamping, Diva Camping - Rainbow Ride for the TUFF guys - LOL!
Yeah, I saw that one a while back online somewhere and was waiting for a good time to post it!
great riding with you guys, lets do it again.
rainbow trail is tons of fun, but looooong. needs to be done in its entirety. as soon as snow melts I want to do the whole thing.
medano pass at night is not as hard as it would seem
Hayden pass west to east is also fun. I want to do it again next year as well.
there will be photos and videos. for now:
(This is going Great!)
Thanks for coming along guys. More to come with pics and video, until then;
1. There is no rainbow in the rainbow trail. It is long and it is all difficult including the ATV section, extremely rocky with large rocks. I think the ATV section is harder due to the ATV's churning it up - it was fun however.
2. Don't get stuck on the RT, and no it does not get "better".
3. There is still lots of water to cross on the west side of Medano. The one section was way deep, think it is because it's end of season. Doing it at night might make it seem deeper.
4. We got to the Dunes Pool at 10:00pm! Then they cooked us a pizza, drinks and let us soak for another 30min after it was closed. The cabins are sweet and the whole place has been remodeled. Go there, it is awesome.
5. Hayden was as usual churned up but doable if you are nuts.
Ride was awesome - Started in COS at 7 AM - Rode til 10 PM on Day 1. Day 2, More like 11 to 4. Just about 400 miles round trip for me. Great group with the 3 of us.
Here's a few pics:
South of Lake George
aimhi and the 690
The front end of my crf450x + blackjackdavey and aimhi
Our Lodging - as aimhi said - the accommodations couldn't be any better. The service was unbelievable.
Looking forward to more pics and vids.
1. Great food at Hungry Bear (aimhi had ice cream for breakfast), at the Cotopaxi gas station (2 lunches), and at the hot spring
2. GREAT weather... seriously, awesome weather
3. Just missed hitting a huge owl in the dark at 60 mph on the highway - I think he was trying wake me up and did.
4. Rainbow trail takes a long time no matter what - especially loaded with sleeping bags and gear
5. aimhi took a ktm 690 down 30+ miles of rainbow trail
6. Only 1 flat
7. Great company
Looking forward to the vids!
OH - and man my bike is running awesome - thanks pwrtrippin!!
view from Rainbow trail right before sunset
forgot to take more pictures of trail itself on those overlooks.
How did you like the 690?
Gonna get rid of the XR for a KTM now?
The KTM 690 has a sweet motor as you know and very different to what I have. The mileage, wow 50mpg no matter what you throw at it. Matt was kind enough to let me ride it so just thankful for that.