Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Luke, Sep 6, 2012.
Sweet, that seat looks a little hard
It's a 'stock' seat. From what I've read it's supposed to be like that.
You're going to get splinters in your butt - - -
Not if I have anything to do with it!
That seat will be like a La-Z-Boy attached to a cruise missile; horrifying but somewhat comfortable...
While Rick was working on the stator cover adapter, Allan and I worked on the frame.
First up was to mount the motor properly and measure the space for the airbox (no change, it's still tight) then make a wooden cradle for holding the frame on the jack.
There was more measuring done on the frame just because.
Then we made some footpeg brackets. They're not quite right, but they're close enough: we needed to see how far forward the top shock mounts could go without hitting the rider's leg. We also needed to see that the footpegs cleared the other bits: exhaust, shifter, kickstart lever. Well 2 of 3 is going to have to do for now. Besides, the kickstarter is just a backup anyway.
So first test run will be Friday then?
I may have asked this already but where did you get your fork brace from?
Not this friday. Maybe the next. There's still an airbox, electrical system, exhaust, fuel tank mount, seat, clutch cable, rear brake to make before it's really rideable.
The fork brace is a Superbrace brand that I bought from procycle.us I obviously don't know how well it works, but it does fit perfectly and has lips so that it won't work its way down into the tire. It might take up a half inch of suspension travel though. I'd need to pull the fork springs and test it to be sure.
The morning started out chilly
Well that was unexpected
Your photos leave me in awe.
I tried to come up with a way of not undoing some of the work I'd done and failed. At least, failed to find a way that was easier.
So out comes the cutting wheel.
And back on it goes. Similar, but not the same.
With the top mounts in the right place, it was time to fix the bottom mounts.
First, clear up a lingering problem with the swingarm.
Welding in the cross brace distorted the swingarm, which narrowed it up and twisted the pivot tube so that the bushing was slightly binding. Cutting, inserting a spacer in the slice and then welding it back up fixed it.
Then it was time to attach the lower shock mounts.
First measure then clamp then measure some more:
Then weld weld weld.
It's on its feet now.
Wow great progress
Looks really good. That rear suspension should be plush. Nice work, I am looking forward to seeing it in person.
I also like the tank, where did you find it?
wow, I am worried about the shock mounts. I thought they would be welded inside a hole drilled inside the side of the swing-arm. I know you are the engineery type and know where the force is applied and how it is safe and stuff. It just seems weird and risky to me. Maybe you can explain how welding two small cylinders to the bottom of the swing-arm is sturdy enough!
The tank was one that I bought at the 2011 AHRMA race in Chehalis. It almost made it onto our SL350, but didn't. It is a clark tank. I think it looks great on Luke's monster bike!!
It's starting to look like a motorcycle.
This is just for testing. If the handling seems ok then I'll add some gussets up the side of the swingarm and then box those in.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing you.
It certainly _should_ be plush. Bouncing on the bike I can say that it's very ....uh..... resistant to bottoming.
Among the things to do: revalve the suspension.
Last night I came home and Luke was in the shop making air filter mock-ups that were similar to dimensions found in some air filter guide books. Here are two of them;
Big one in projected air box intake area;
Small one in projected air box intake area;
Conclusion; we need Goldilocks to find us one that is "just right"!
Luke took additional pictures of other bits he was working on yesterday, I'm sure he will post those soon with more commentary.