Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Paulvt1

    Paulvt1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,735
    Location:
    Wolverhampton. England.
    To change the subject slightly - anyone running non Duck heated grips? Isit ok to just run a live to the 12v battery supply? I was interested in the OE ones - 'till i got a quote of £400 for them...
  2. Doug Pirahna

    Doug Pirahna Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2010
    Oddometer:
    105
    Location:
    Illinois, land o' flat
    I've got Symtex grip heaters and they work great. I have to confess that I installed everything but didn't connect them to the power supply, I asked my Duc mechanic to when it was in for tires. I wanted it hooked to a switched power supply so I wouldn't have to worry about remembering to turn the switch off, and didn't trust myself on that. Total for the purchase of the heaters and having the mechanic connect them was $75 and you can use whatever grips you want over them. I prefer ProGrip 714s.
  3. dsauer

    dsauer Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Oddometer:
    175
    Location:
    Golden, CO
    It's those Vespa people isn't it :evil
  4. dsauer

    dsauer Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Oddometer:
    175
    Location:
    Golden, CO
    Would that be these'uns? Where did you put your toggle switch?

    http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_code=16025
  5. Doug Pirahna

    Doug Pirahna Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2010
    Oddometer:
    105
    Location:
    Illinois, land o' flat
    That's them, Symtec, not Symtex as I previously wrote. I put the switch on the vertical part of the black panel, below and to the rear of the fuse cover. It's easy to use there and hardly noticeable. I suggest putting some shrink tubing over the left side of the handlebar, then the heater on top of that, so the aluminum bar doesn't act like a heat sink. It's not an issue on the throttle grip side.
  6. Paulvt1

    Paulvt1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,735
    Location:
    Wolverhampton. England.
    Just won a Daytona set of heated grips on fleabay for £30. That'll do nicely.
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I wonder if you can take something like the Oxford Heaterz (or any others for that matter) and wire them into the same point as the OEM grips??? I know you can do that with other bike brands (Guzzi comes to mind, possibly Triumph as well) and that way you can use the built-in controller. Just a thought.....

    -SM
  8. Pampero

    Pampero Verbose Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Oddometer:
    756
    Location:
    Seattle WA and Nashville TN
    Why not? They're all just baby toasters; the resistance and draw can't be much different. But usual caveats apply.

    I would say that if your research shows you can do it, it would be the very best way since it would use Ducati's intended grounding scheme. A lot of grip kits come with instructions to steal power from a switched circuit like the tail light, and that makes sense, but that still doesn't tell you where to go for your ground. If you grab ground at the easiest place (say the fork or frame) you could be looking at a different path that could lead to electrolytic corrosion, and that is maybe a thing to be aware of in these installations. Otherwise installing heated grips is a piece of cake.
  9. bingbong

    bingbong Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Oddometer:
    964
    Location:
    Obidos, Portugal
    Well done. How about connecting them to the accessory plug wiring. It's switched and rated for heated clothing.
  10. ten.98

    ten.98 ...leave a trail

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Oddometer:
    52
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    Here's a short clip of my first ride with the TKC's. I didn't have time to do any major editing so it's basically just raw footage spliced together. It best to watch it muted so you don't have to listen to me laugh like a dork the whole time. My mic started to have some issues toward the end of the ride so the audio cuts out or is completely absent from some of the clips.

    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2cmHAA8cVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    You can tell at the beginning I'm not really trusting the tires very much, and as a result I quickly fall to the back of the pack. About 1/2 way through I started to get the feel for them and begin catching up again.
  11. KHVol

    KHVol Long timer

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,570
    How many miles did you put on them and do you have any knobs left ?
  12. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Good stuff. Looks like on the dirt the lighter bikes pulled ahead but once on the open road the big bikes pulled away.....at 110mph+ if I read your speedo right.... :augie

    Just a word of caution.....the TKC's you were running are only Q rated, so sustained 100mph+ is probably unwise..... :gerg

    -SM
  13. ten.98

    ten.98 ...leave a trail

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Oddometer:
    52
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    Most of what I do on that bike is probably unwise.....:D
  14. ten.98

    ten.98 ...leave a trail

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Oddometer:
    52
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    I've got about 250 miles on them now. Still a good 1/2" of knobs left. If you keep to the dirt I'm sure they'll last a while.
  15. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,962
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Boy do I know about THAT! :shog

    :lol3

    -SM
  16. KHVol

    KHVol Long timer

    Joined:
    May 21, 2004
    Oddometer:
    2,570
    In the past I would put MT-60's on my 650 Motards ( with 17's) in an attempt to make them dirt worthy. I believe I got 1,200 to 1,400 miles out them and that was with about 52 HP. I hate to think how quickly 150 HP could peel the knobs off the carcasses. :eek1
  17. Motodisiac

    Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    Oddometer:
    3,693
    Location:
    City Of Angels
    Now I could see why riders from Florida are always happy to ride in California - anything more than 90 degree corners is good :) . Thanks for posting the video.
  18. oalvarez

    oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Oddometer:
    2,862
    Location:
    CA HWY 2
    we are indeed fortunate....
  19. marret

    marret Transient

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Oddometer:
    260
    Location:
    Fort Knox KY
    How did the tires feel at speed?

    I'd also like to know how many miles you end up getting out of them.

    Like others have said, thanks for posting.
  20. Paulvt1

    Paulvt1 Long timer

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2004
    Oddometer:
    3,735
    Location:
    Wolverhampton. England.
    Good tip. Might just have a look at that.